• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power Antenna Noise

My power antenna makes a loud clicking noise after it fully extends or fully retracts. Anybody experience this problem? Any quick fixes? If the gears are worn, can you get replacement gears or do you have to buy a new unit? If the unit has to be replaced, does anyone know of aftermarket or rebuild companies?

might be stuck

You mast may not be fully extending and hence when its retracting it thinks there is "more" to pull in.

To test this out, turn on your radio, and wait for the antenna to extend.

Then pull each of the joints to see if it moves up. If you notice you can extend it, your mast may just need a good cleaning. If you have a kink in the mast preventing full extension a new antenna mast may be necessary.

The Troubleshooting area in the FAQ details this problem in detail. See "Antenna."

I had the same problem the antenna is not fully extended when up. Pulling on the antenna when up it was kinda hard to do but i pulled it about a inch more then what appeared to be a fully extended antenna. Then I lubed it up with a teflon lubricant and I haven't had a problem since.:D

Thanks guys.

Thanks to both for the info. Both of you were right on. Two full sections of my antenna were stuck inside each other. (Hence the awful noise.) I had to remove the mast and pull as hard as I could in a vise to "unstick" them. When they popped loose, some water spilled out. I need to lube up the mast and install to see if it still works. At worst I'll have to buy a new mast but we'll see.

I had the same problem, I-m considering to put a new one in, but a small antena, will look a lot better.

Antenna size

I lubed up my antenna mast and reinstalled it. It works perfectly now but dang it's tall!:confused: I liked the height of the mast better when two sections were stuck. (I think that's why I didn't notice that two sections were stuck, because the height was where I thought it should be.) I'm thinking that I may try to find a relay that runs slightly less time so the mast extends less. The relay is inside the motor housing. I'll let you know if I find one.

I finally got around to just unplugging my power antenna entirely. You're right, its way too tall for the car. My radio still works fine when the antenna is fully retracted.

The NSX has two radio antennas: the mast, and the top third of the engine hatch window (which is often mistaken for defroster veins which comprise the bottom two thirds of the window). The radio has a diversity system which senses which antenna has the better signal and uses that one. Depending on the reception in your location, the reception from the window antenna may or may not be adequate.

Also, for those who listen to CD, remember that you can get the Smartenna to keep your antenna down while you're listening to CD.

The length of the NSX antenna never bothered me. After all, the reason it looks long is because the car is so low. Besides, I never have to look at it anyway; it's only extended when I'm inside the car.

Back