• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

power antenna question

My NSX has the stock radio and cd changer. Does anyone know if the power antenna is supposed to retract when playing cds. I'm about ready to disconnect it entirely cuz it looks retarded when its up and I never listen to the radio.

Get the Smartenna or disconnect the motor entirely.

I don't have the CD player, so I just disconnected mine entirely (incredibly simple to do). I do listen to the radio, and even with a lot of hills and trees between me and the distant transmitters, my reception didn't suffer when I disconnected it. There are a couple of spotty places but not bad. The antenna is still connected, as far as I know, it's just not extended.

It'd be nice if I could mount a switch somewhere to manually raise it, but even without that option, I prefer it down.

Thanks for the input guys. Thats what I love about this forum.

I have the one on my NSX unplugged and still get great reception. I have heard there are two on our cars one of them is in the back window. Again I have only heard this. I agree the antenna looks like crap.

If you have a CD player, get a Smartanna --- works great. You may want the radio sometime. I think I paid about $50±

two antennas

There are indeed two antennas on the NSX-- many Bose systems have this. They call it "dual diversity" I think and the radio supposedly pulls in whichever signal is better at the time. The other antenna is in the rear window, along with the defroster. I have this on my Maxima as well.

NSXROX said:
My NSX has the stock radio and cd changer. Does anyone know if the power antenna is supposed to retract when playing cds. I'm about ready to disconnect it entirely cuz it looks retarded when its up and I never listen to the radio.

Easy Fix:

Disconnect the PWR motor down..

Peel back the carpet there should be 2-3 plastics clips holding the carpet in place. Gently pry back the carpet with your fingers behind and the plastic clip will come out.

Just disconnect the wireharness plug at the rear at the Pwr motor there is a 4-P (3 wire) plug connector at the motor. See Service Manual PDF Page 1221~1223 or section 23-235~237 for illustrations. Just unplug it with the car off (ANT down). Then turn the radio or CD back on... look no more ANT action!:D

I did this after upgrading my stock radio to Pioneer unit. The new deck didn't have the option to control the Ant manully. Oh well, unplugged I'm still able to get lots of stations. I don't listen to the radio either... so just leave it unplugged!

The other fancy way to do this would be to use a relay and switch that way you can control the ant manually... this will be a little more work, but might be a nice option especially if mounted in the coin holder or cell storge box.

:cool:

Back