• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power Coating Brake Calipers & Brackets – SPA Yellow

Power Coating Brake Calipers & Brackets

After wanting to improve the look of my ‘97 Spa Yellow Pearl NSX I gathered up all the pieces needed for the Brake re-fresh:

-Rebuild kits for all 4 calipers

-Slotted & Drilled rotors from R1 Concepts. Call Sam at 714-777-2323 ext. 7007 who was very helpful and met my timeline with beautiful rotors.

-Power Coating provided by Melrose Metal Finishing in Oakland CA. 510.568.7083.
They did a great job of cleaning, baking, cleaning and a second bake to remove all road dirt and brake dust contamination. The taping of the surfaces where no coating is wanted was excellent, with no mistakes. They matched the yellow color of the car very well and delivered on time. Powder coating used was: “Tiger Drylac” color: RAL-1018.

-Special tools: As mentioned in forums, the heat of power coating requires the removal of all rubber. Obviously the caliper piston boots and seals, but also the rear emergency brake concealed “O” ring and rubber cup. The Spring compressor tool # 07HAE-SG00100 and long snap ring pliers # 07914-SA50001 worked flawlessly in removing the emergency brake parts. I was surprised by the small needle bearing that is pressed into the caliper for the emergency brake cam actuator. It does not show up in any diagrams in the shop manual. Since it is all metal, with good cleaning it handled the baking with no problem.
-I used stock Acura pads and ATE Super Blue Dot 4 brake fluid for a complete brake system flush.

-Special thanks to my wife Sue for being my helper and “gofer” labeling all the parts on disassembly, cleaning parts, tools and fetching beer when required for further progress. Brother Bob who worked his way through Law School doing brakes was invaluable. He knew the tricks in doing the caliper rebuild which are simple, but extremely helpful in rebuilding correctly, without damaging the rubber parts. And, of course this forum and the previous entries which were very helpful.

After bedding-in the pads, I am pleased there are no squeaks or noises and the brakes work great! Some before and after pics are shown below: Let me know if you have any questions.
Chris

Attachments

• NXS Front Left Side Wheel and Coated Caliper Nice (2).jpg
    NXS Front Left Side Wheel and Coated Caliper Nice (2).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Front and Rear Calipers and Brackets after Coating Nice (2).jpg
    Front and Rear Calipers and Brackets after Coating Nice (2).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 173
  • coated front caliper and new rotor instatted no wheel (2).jpg
    coated front caliper and new rotor instatted no wheel (2).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 169
  • NSX Rear Caliper and Rotor before no wheel 1 (2).jpg
    NSX Rear Caliper and Rotor before no wheel 1 (2).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 117
  • NSX Rear Caliper and Wheel before (2).jpg
    NSX Rear Caliper and Wheel before (2).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 78
  • NSX Rear Wheel and Coated Caliper Nice (2).jpg
    NSX Rear Wheel and Coated Caliper Nice (2).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Rear Caliper and Rotor Before with wheel (2).jpg
    Rear Caliper and Rotor Before with wheel (2).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Rear Wheel Caliper After Coating nice with wheel (2).jpg
    Rear Wheel Caliper After Coating nice with wheel (2).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 126
Awesome! I'm actually about to do this to mine but in Rio yellow!! I had wondered how it would look in the end!! Looks great!

Can you post any pointers to getting them apart/together again that you learned to help make my life easier? Thanks!!

Thanks for the great info. I just ordered a set of rotors from Sam at R1 Concepts. Awesome deal. Thanks!!

P.S. R1 Concepts uses Genuine OEM rotors for the NSX

Last edited:
I wonder how the powdercoat would stand up to heavy track use. I have tried every caliper paint and they all darken severely and then end up flaking off after about a 1/2 season of track use.

can you give us an idea of cost?

Total Cost: About $2,000
-Rotors: $1100
-Acura Caliper rebuild kits Front & Rear: $140
-Acura Pads, Front & Rear $246
-Power Coating $290
-Brake Spring Compression Tool PN 07HAE-SG00100 $48
-Snap Ring Pliers 07914-SA50000 $43
-ATE Brake Fluid (2 Liters) $60
-Beer $ 50
-1 week of down time

Attachments

• NSX Rear Caliper Spring Compression Tool with Part# MR.jpg
    NSX Rear Caliper Spring Compression Tool with Part# MR.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 68
  • NSX Rear Caliper Snap Ring Pliers with part # MR.jpg
    NSX Rear Caliper Snap Ring Pliers with part # MR.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I dropped off my calipers at Central Florida Powdercoating this morning. Should be done by tomorrow. They are charging me 2 C notes for a vibrant red called Red Baron. Identical to Brembo's. I can't wait to see them. I am getting the NSX letters sanded down to look like this:

Attachments

• NSX_caliper_02.jpg
    NSX_caliper_02.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 139
I do not think you can anodize a steel caliper:).

I believe that to be correct. You are out of luck on the stockies. No coating, powdercoating, or the brush on epoxy kits like G2 are all just fine for the 99% customer with a road car.

Isn't it true you can only anodize aluminum??

I believe it has been done in an industrial research context. AFAIK in a practical motorsports context- being an electrodeposition coating, even for aluminum, billet aluminum alloys anodized best as cast has impurities in it.

Back