• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power Enterprise timing belts.

I'm putting one in right now David, and gates racing belts for the AC and alternator belts as well.

I love mine.....

1403020_10201442190995051_315885847_o.jpg

A bit over a year ago, I had a Power Enterprise timing belt installed along with Comptech adjustable cam gears and a new OEM belt tensioner. I didn't notice any timing belt whine before the service but I do now despite going back and double-checking that the belt tension was set correctly. I'm not sure what the cause is. Maybe it's the cam gears, maybe it's the belt, or maybe it's just the fresh spring in the tensioner. I wish I didn't hear it, though. On the plus side, the belt, well, um…

I love mine.....

Why?

Last edited:
do you have timing covers on or moons cut out of your rocker covers?... have seen a few sets of comptech cam gears that one has rubbed.. not lots but enough to create noise quite easily.

Interesting. Yes, the rocker covers are on. The sound isn't a harsh metal on metal noise, though, it's softer. Do you know what it sounded like when the Comptech cam gears rubbed inside the rocker covers?

When the cam gears and timing belt were first installed, the tension was set too tight and the whining was louder but even after double-checking and resetting the tension, it's still there.

What's the reasoning for using the "Power Enterprise" timing belt over OEM? What would be the advantage?

My reasoning: if the belt stretches less than the OEM belt during the combustion cycle, hopefully the cam timing will be more accurate and hopefully that will let the engine produce a few more hp. Since I'm not planning on extending the belt's service interval, the longer life of the kevlar-reinforced teeth doesn't matter to me nor does any potentially longer life of the overall belt. If the potential for a few more hp comes at the cost of a timing belt whine, I'll stick with the stock belt next time, though.

Last edited:
A bit over a year ago, I had a Power Enterprise timing belt installed along with Comptech adjustable cam gears and a new OEM belt tensioner. I didn't notice any timing belt whine before the service but I do now despite going back and double-checking that the belt tension was set correctly. I'm not sure what the cause is. Maybe it's the cam gears, maybe it's the belt, or maybe it's just the fresh spring in the tensioner. I wish I didn't hear it, though. On the plus side, the belt, well, um…

Why?

I don't have any timing belt whine that I can hear..... with all of the SOS SC stuff....

- - - Updated - - -

What's the reasoning for using the "Power Enterprise" timing belt over OEM? What would be the advantage?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NSX-Power-Enterprises-Super-Kevlar-II-Timing-Belt-/121215230399?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c38fda1bf&vxp=mtr

The Power Enterprise "Super Kevlar II" Timing Belt is a direct replacement for the factory timing belt featuring Power Enterprise's patented Kevlar fiber design. Manufactured in Japan, Power Enterprise Timing Belts are used extensively in top end racing engines such as those in Japan's Super GT series.

Designed for high performance applications, the structure of the belt results in eliminating belt stretch - retaining the camshaft alignment and reducing belt deflection under high RPM and dynamic engine speed seen under racing conditions. The Kevlar fiber tooth fabric offers a high strength abrasion resistant material that is built with special short strand Kevlar on the surface for maximum cog precision.

Considering the added benefits, the slight additional cost increase from a factory belt (list $180.00) is well justified.

I don't have any timing belt whine that I can hear..... with all of the SOS SC stuff....

I just took a spin in my NSX to get the engine up to temperature. When the engine is cold, I can't hear any timing belt whine. It comes as the engine warms up. Maybe the Power Enterprise Super Kevlar II timing belt doesn't expand, unlike the aluminum block and heads, thereby increasing the belt tension as the engine warms.

Has anyone else with a melodious naturally aspirated NSX noticed that? Edit: I just saw that DASHNBY has as well. I wonder whether increased belt tension noticeably increases the wear on the bearings. That would be a rather unwelcome side effect.

Last edited:
You're experiencing enough thermal expansion. I get the whine despite my ceramic coated headers even just putzing around town. The engine doesn't need to get particularly hot, normal operating temperature will do. I think your first hunch was probably closer to the target: if your Power Enterprise timing belt is whining, you can't hear it over the whine of your supercharger.

If my engine is still whining when the next timing belt change is due, I'm going to put an OEM belt back in. A few horsepower isn't worth corrupting the beautiful sound a naturally aspirated NSX can produce. Especially if the whining is an indication of accelerated wear on the bearings.

Last edited:
Well I didn't know about the whine but how bad is it? I would like to have the strength and durability of the Kevlar belt and I doubt I could hear it over my exhaust anyway. The oem belt seemed of lower quality IMO as I ordered both and compared them... But perhaps father Honda knows best with their wobbly belt. I still think I may just use the PE one as it seemed safer and of better engineering/construction. Hopefully my car will be done soon and I can report back about the whine.

Last edited:
I'll confirm that, I don't hear anything new coming from the belts and I put this belt in along with Gates belts for the other two.

I'm rebuilding my engine at the moment and was looking for a new timing belt, until I came across how much a oem belt compare to the pe tb was only $20 difference. So I pick up the pe tb.

Back