• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power steering on NSX

Hello members,

I have a 94 NSX, and according to changes by year, 94 NSX's do not have power steering on them. I did a comparison with my friend's 91 NSX, and it takes a lot less effort to steer my car than his. I can practically steer my car with 1 hand on a turn, but no way on his. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks

I had the oportunity to test drive "Gerry's" 91 NSX and his steering offered much less resistance than my 94. For some reason, and I think it might be the tires, Gerry's NSX was very easy to turn while sitting still, compared to mine. My 94 requires two hands to turn while at a stop.

While I had my NSX on jacks, the steering turns very easily and there is no binding so it's nothing to do with the linkage as far as I can tell. I have TOYO Proxys on stock blades.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Just wondering if your friends 91 has the stock 15/16 rims on it? On my 92 I have the 16/17 rims from a 98 and the steering is fairly light. I can steer with one hand at almost anything above 5-10 MPH. The only time it is real heavy is just as I start moving and making a turn at the same time. Once I start to roll it is easy. I believe it is the 16/17 rim change in 94 that make the steering a little lighter than the 91-93 15/16. However, this is just speculation.

When I bought the 94 on 16/17 rims the front Bridgstones were heavily worn on the inside. Steering feels easier at no/slow speeds after mounting new Pilot Sports.

Tires do "hop", as felt in steering wheel when car is pushed around corners at higher speeds though-I was told due to little weight up front that 911s do this as well.

Originally posted by Xcite50:
I have a 94 NSX, and according to changes by year, 94 NSX's do not have power steering on them. I did a comparison with my friend's 91 NSX, and it takes a lot less effort to steer my car than his. I can practically steer my car with 1 hand on a turn, but no way on his. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Is it possible your car is an automatic? The '91-94 NSX with automatic all came with power steering.

Aside from that, I find that my '91 NSX requires very little effort to steer around turns. The only time it requires some effort is at very slow, parking lot type speeds.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 March 2003).]

Tires and alignment also make a big difference in the required steering effort on the non-power-steering cars.

So true Lud. The tire size / tire design / alignment angles /camber can create dramatic changes in the contact patch between the front tire and the road.

A larger contact point results in more friction, this causes a heavy feel at the wheel.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

Originally posted by nsxparts.com:
A larger contact point results in more friction, this causes a heavy feel at the wheel.

And, since the size of the contact patch is determined only by the weight of the car (relatively constant for any NSX) and the pressure in the tires, that means that the higher the pressure, the smaller the contact patch and the lighter the feel of the wheel.

Back