• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pre-made?? Double Din cut out console.

The dash is painted to match the trim. And is a close match. Feel free to ask me any question. I am a audio/security expert so just shoot anything that you like.

Could you tell me what kind of paint you used?

Approx. how much should a reputable shop charge for this project.
I am getting quotes for the DD refinishing and paint anywhere from $500-$1400.:eek:
Just because it's an NSX... they think it's a green light to your open check book. Or perhaps, I'm Cheap.

Depending on what shop you went to, the installer was talking about me. I have many installers friends all over the oc. I was selling them on a calie only shippment. The deal was that you would send me your dash trim unit and I would preform the work to make it a double din or single din. The only problem was that only a couple of people made it work right and some people broke it trying to do it. They were all made the same. Most took it to a shop to have it installed correctly. The problem lies in that the stock radio mounts on the bottom and top and not on the side like a regular din unit and people did not know how to fab it up. Even with instructions it did not come out right. Its not for a noob to do. So I stopped doing it. I will do it for locals only now. I located in the oc if you would like the service preformed. Here are a couple of pics of a customer/friend car. There is no glare on the double din what so ever. The dash is painted to match the trim. And is a close match. Feel free to ask me any question. I am a audio/security expert so just shoot anything that you like.

ooo yes the ash try works like a champ

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg
That's a clean look!

So as some may have read, I went with the AVIC-N3 from Pioneer for two reasons. First the reverse angle on ALL of the double DIN units I looked at did not offer enough control to move the screen back and forth at will to a degree that I could eliminate glare. Secondly, I didn't want a double DIN taking up all that real-estate. Just didn't like the look of it.

So I attended SNOW'S AUTO on Division in Spokane WA for the purchase and install. I won't say who did the install, but I wasn't impressed. (PICS WILL FOLLOW)

The install consisted of hacking away all the material that made up the original head openiing and the cassette opening, having a light sheet metal plate cut to fit the angles on both side going up towards the vents and then chopping a hole in that plate to accept the AVIC. Finished off with a quick coat of Krylon (NOT MATCHING) and some goofy hex screws in each corner of the plate.

Man..... I was speachless. A brand new out of the dealership car with less than 100 miles on it and I'm looking at...........

Well, I've driven 6000 mile with this thing staring back at me and enough is enough. I took the bull by the horns and ordered the center console I linked to above (PICS WILL FOLLOW) and my review of the quality/fit/material etc when it arrives this week.

But I re-attended SNOW'S this week and more or less demanded it be done right. I'm not an installer. I'm an Network Engineer ! :rolleyes: what the heck do I know about hacking dash boards?

The guy who did the initial install for $350.00 over the price of the hardware now tells me he's going to approach this from a whole new level. He's going to take the center console he hacked up. And using (Bondo???I guess) patch this now hacked up piece, to make it "flawless" in his words.

And the kicker is....... They want more dosh to do it.

So do I take my new center piece coming, head to the guys down the road (all of these installer guys know each other and speak apperently all the time) and pay THEM to do it. Or do I give Buddy Hackit another kick at the can and find God again until I see the end results?

If Buddy does do it right, I probably save 200.00 and get to sell the new piece coming.

If the new guys do it, I eat the 350 already put in it, pay them to do it, and end up keeping the blank(without ash tray) model on the way.

I don't know why everytime I have a car, pay someone to do something to it, it always turns to crap. Alarms, Radar system, Nav/Head unit.... It's all been a joke in both the S2000 and the NSX.

I can't catch a break here.

Anyone want to tell me I'm an idiot? :frown:

hack1.jpg

hack2.jpg

This one looks alittle ghetto compared to the other one posted.

BTW, I found a good conversion kit that requires very llittle cutting, its located at:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/stereo_system.asp

Last edited:
So how much did K-Mart charge you for this install??:biggrin: Yes, his cajons would have been mine, if they did this to my ride. If you take it back for them to do it again, remember, "fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me!!:rolleyes:

So as some may have read, I went with the AVIC-N3 from Pioneer for two reasons. First the reverse angle on ALL of the double DIN units I looked at did not offer enough control to move the screen back and forth at will to a degree that I could eliminate glare. Secondly, I didn't want a double DIN taking up all that real-estate. Just didn't like the look of it.

So I attended SNOW'S AUTO on Division in Spokane WA for the purchase and install. I won't say who did the install, but I wasn't impressed. (PICS WILL FOLLOW)

The install consisted of hacking away all the material that made up the original head openiing and the cassette opening, having a light sheet metal plate cut to fit the angles on both side going up towards the vents and then chopping a hole in that plate to accept the AVIC. Finished off with a quick coat of Krylon (NOT MATCHING) and some goofy hex screws in each corner of the plate.

Man..... I was speachless. A brand new out of the dealership car with less than 100 miles on it and I'm looking at...........

Well, I've driven 6000 mile with this thing staring back at me and enough is enough. I took the bull by the horns and ordered the center console I linked to above (PICS WILL FOLLOW) and my review of the quality/fit/material etc when it arrives this week.

But I re-attended SNOW'S this week and more or less demanded it be done right. I'm not an installer. I'm an Network Engineer ! :rolleyes: what the heck do I know about hacking dash boards?

The guy who did the initial install for $350.00 over the price of the hardware now tells me he's going to approach this from a whole new level. He's going to take the center console he hacked up. And using (Bondo???I guess) patch this now hacked up piece, to make it "flawless" in his words.

And the kicker is....... They want more dosh to do it.

So do I take my new center piece coming, head to the guys down the road (all of these installer guys know each other and speak apperently all the time) and pay THEM to do it. Or do I give Buddy Hackit another kick at the can and find God again until I see the end results?

If Buddy does do it right, I probably save 200.00 and get to sell the new piece coming.

If the new guys do it, I eat the 350 already put in it, pay them to do it, and end up keeping the blank(without ash tray) model on the way.

I don't know why everytime I have a car, pay someone to do something to it, it always turns to crap. Alarms, Radar system, Nav/Head unit.... It's all been a joke in both the S2000 and the NSX.

I can't catch a break here.

Anyone want to tell me I'm an idiot? :frown:

hack1.jpg

hack2.jpg

So how much did K-Mart charge you for this install??:biggrin: Yes, his cajons would have been mine, if they did this to my ride. If you take it back for them to do it again, remember, "fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me!!:rolleyes:

I never let the same snake bite me twice. If the installer took any pride in his work he would have never let the car leave the shop looking like that. I say spin the wheel again and take it somewhere else.

Its been awhile since I posted here. I really got caught up with work and alot of other sites that I forgot about you guys. Sorry. TO all the pms I will try to respond to them.

Depending on what shop you went to, the installer was talking about me. I have many installers friends all over the oc. I was selling them on a calie only shippment. The deal was that you would send me your dash trim unit and I would preform the work to make it a double din or single din. The only problem was that only a couple of people made it work right and some people broke it trying to do it. They were all made the same. Most took it to a shop to have it installed correctly. The problem lies in that the stock radio mounts on the bottom and top and not on the side like a regular din unit and people did not know how to fab it up. Even with instructions it did not come out right. Its not for a noob to do. So I stopped doing it. I will do it for locals only now. I located in the oc if you would like the service preformed. Here are a couple of pics of a customer/friend car. There is no glare on the double din what so ever. The dash is painted to match the trim. And is a close match. Feel free to ask me any question. I am a audio/security expert so just shoot anything that you like.

ooo yes the ash try works like a champ

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

Anyone know where I can get one of this quality?
Thanks Ken

Umbrella Auto Design in Bellevue, WA does an incredible job but its very expensive IMO and you have to trade them your original.

I have spoken to Ravi about this and I don't think he does it any more. He does some amazing work.

Not sure why this seems to be hard to find, its a commonly sold item from SOS to my understanding:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/CF_center_console_trim/

It looks like that's an overlay that goes on top of a custom-cut center console.

Center console trim kit comes ready for installation with 3M industrial strength adhesive backing. We recommend using this with the Downforce Center Console, however, it is also possible to be used with a modified factory center console.

Last edited:
Back