• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prevent Power Antenna from extending on cd's?

I just got my 04 nsx and have decided to temporarily leave my stock stereo alone for now. I really disklike that power antenna though since it's so unsightly driving around in this high end sports car with a metal antenna from the early 80's :eek:

I know it extends for radio use but when we play cassettes or use the CD changer, will it retract?

I've heard of people putting in an s2000 stubby antenna but does that affect the reception or require any permanent changes to the car?

thanks
rick

I do believe the item you are looking for is called "smartenna". Check Dali..I am sure some others will chime in here.

Smartenna works well and retracts when you play the CD but the antenna will still go up with the Tape deck.

Smartenna works well and retracts when you play the CD but the antenna will still go up with the Tape deck.

Exactly I don't want to use the Smartenna since I will be using my tape player adapter for my Ipod. I was reading and it seems you can just install a switch inline with this pink wire. Anyone have a DIY on this setup?

I was referring to people replacing the power antenna with this "stubby" s2000 type antenna so it's low key.

rick

Using a tape adapter??? Rick shame on you! :tongue: What's next? 8 track!?

Exactly...my antenna has been removed and hole filled in. Rather listen to the exhaust than radio anyways.

Using a tape adapter??? Rick shame on you! :tongue: What's next? 8 track!?

LOL it's ok, I've decided to not do any audio upgrades........for now :tongue:

Actually I found what I'm looking for...now I just have to decide which route to go if I want to install a switch or just use the shorter antenna.

rk

I left my antenna stock for the look factor. I am old school and still believe the funcationality of a metal antenna versus plastic is supperior and really looks classic.

In our newer BMW with the shark antenna there is some distortion, in the older BMW with older antenna its perfectly clear.

On of the better antenna is the VW fubu antennas mounted on the roof, metal iside, plastic protective cover outside.

I've heard of people putting in an s2000 stubby antenna but does that affect the reception or require any permanent changes to the car?

thanks
rick

rick,
I've heard of those as well but I bought and subsequently destroyed an s2k antenna trying to make it work with no luck.
I then bought the Shart attack antenna and installed it with no mods to car at all. Have to remember about the Shark attack though is that it is powered so you will need to have it's red wire running to the power wire of the factory antenna. Otherwise you will get poor reception, certainly on AM channels anyway.
HTH

Back