• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price variations

Hey guys , i realise your not allowed to post adds on this forum so wont put up the links but im wondering why the price range on some of these NSX's are so extreem .

These are some prices and specs and im selecting all autos to keep it fair as ive been told manuals are always about $10gs more

92 - auto - 112,000ks - $69,200
94 - auto - 150,000ks - $45,000
91 - auto - 110,000ks - $49,000

What are peoples thoughts on the autos , im setting myself a $50K budget and this seems to be all ill be getting for that money and that 94 does look attractive but just seems too cheap .

I read about timing belts and water pumps and if your not sure or confident on your cars history just replace , no one mentiones how much this ends up costing .

Are there many other common issues with a car with 150k on it .

Sorry for all the qs guys but questions and answers are allot cheaper than diving in and being stuck with problems :smile:

Price also depends on the condition of the car, how neat, accident, aus or jap delivered, and how fast thay want to sell it.
It cost me $900.00 for timing belt. Normal service is around $250.00.
If you like driving up to 80 in first and up to 140 kmph is second, I would not buy auto.:biggrin: Especially if you want to be faster then every XR6-8 or r8.:biggrin:

Adam,

It's important to remember that the prices on advertisements are only the seller's asking price.

Many of the cars advertised above $65k have been on the market for a long time. Generally they are not selling quickly above that price unless they're special in some way.

The cars advertised under $50k do tend to go fairly quickly, even if they have issues.

In the middle comes down to the other factors Spase mentioned.

With regards to high mileage, theoretically NSXs can go to the moon and beyond - there's some in the USA with over 300,000 miles on the original engine/transmission. Searching this forum should bring up the details. I'm not saying you should aim for that, and many parts of the car wear out slowly with use, but it's not an exotic where + or - 10,000km matters a great deal.

Regarding servicing, I think the official line on timing belts is 7 years / 90,000km. If the previous owner doesn't know when it was done and hasn't had it done either, I'd be wondering how much they cared about the car in general.

Looking at my receipts, timing belt for $900 sounds cheap, The full list of parts alone, (including water pump, belt, tensioner etc) are around $900, so I'd be guessing $1500-$2000 at Honda (my labour was combined with other work so I can't tell you exactly, but Robert Lane Honda in Brighton could).

Major service around $700 including new spark plugs, engine oil & filter, coolant, transmission oil, fuel filter.

Minor service $200-300 but if you're so inclined changing your own oil & filter is easy enough and does not require a hoist.

New clutch $3,000-4,000.

All up if you think of the car as an old exotic I should think it would seem pretty reasonable to you given your 2006 Cayenne ownership. However these cars are far older and obviously at this point have no warranty whatsoever, so you need to be able to stomach a few thousand dollars of unexpected repairs at any point - by example I simply put my car in reverse one day and experienced "snap ring" failure in the transmission, a manufacturing defect which should not apply to my transmission build number but obviously did. Other examples are things like the suspension, sound system and air conditioning won't work forever - but generally the NSX has a strong reputation for reliability and at this point in Australia appears to be depreciating very slowly if at all.

Lastly I have to agree with Spase about the manual being worthwhile. The auto box is amazing for 1990 and great for city traffic or effortless touring..... but the manual gearbox is a true gem, it's a joy to flick up through the short-throw gears with 2 fingers and blip the throttle downshifting on winding roads. It also comes with a slightly more powerful engine, and can handle further power should you wish to go that route. No stock NSX is "fast" by today's supercar standards, so stock the real difference is in the extra driver involvement, which presumably is one of the differences you're seeking compared to the Cayenne?

Hope this helps mate.

John

Last edited:
Yeah Excellent info there John .

As far as comparing it to my Porsche Cayenne , these 2 cars are worlds apart and cant be compared . Mine is a 2.6 Tonne BOHEMETH and yes with the V8 it does have heaps of pull and im on a side by side run with XR8 and SS commos but come cornering who are we kidding , even with the air suspension sitting it on its lowest position and the shocks in sports mode , it still takes a corner like a im towing a boat . The NXS weighs in at 1.2Tonnes ( or atleast under half the body weight ) sits a full half lower than the Porsche and im assuming its a point ang go thng so THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM HANGING FOR ... along with its WAY AHEAD of its time looks .

Looks wise they could release that car tomorrow and it still kills the looks of most cars on the market today , in fact just on looks alone i cant believe you can buy that for $45,000 as a garage decorator .

This is purely a weekended car for me , i have my Hilux for work and forgeneral bumming around , then Porsche for when we go out as a family so the NSX will be probably copping about half hour work a week and maybee go to a party 1 day if we can get baby sitters for the kids ( and im not gay in saying this but ill be staring the car out over the misses as the car just hasnt aged but the misses ... well ... haha ) .

In saying this , i would DEFINATELY expect a car of its vintage to need money spent on it and because its a spare shall we say , its not a big issue if i need to spend $1000 - $5000 on it as it can always wait till funds get saved to do it without putting us out in terms of being 1 car short .

The Porsche is a great car but we have done many ks on it and EVERY SINGLE TIME i have driven it it cops a thrashing ( out mechaninc actually gave me dates and times of when i drove it between services as the computer only saw red line bleeps in the print out ..haha ) , now as we are just about to touch the 100,000k due to interstate trips and allot of driving back and forth to our house at Philip Island and it hasnt gone without its problems in this time . My first issue was the coil packs x 8 ( dont even go there on price ) , then the heater / cooler fan and then i had an issue with 1 of the air suspensions which was a nice $6000 lesson learnt . I used to take my car to Porsche in Victoria St to get serviced and repaired but after they gave it to me up the backside with no vassaline on their labour costs ( in excess of $1800 " labour alone " on 1 instance for a days job) i laugh at a timing belt , pump , etc costing $1800 .

This manual Vs Auto thing though has now got me thinking very hard indeed . I do plan on taking it to the Philip Island track on the very odd occasion so could be allot of fun there but the main concern is id hate for such a beautifull looking car get done at the lights by a holden or ford and from what your saying , an auto will get left behind :frown:

Last edited:
hi Adam,
I bought a 98 automatic with paddle shift a year ago, and it is the only NSX I have driven. I will try a manual when I get the chance. Clearly I can't compare, but I will chip in a couple of comments about the auto.
First up, it is wrong to think that you can't exploit the rev range of the V6 in an auto. If you put your foot down it will redline before changing in 1st and 2nd. It might do the same in third, but that is at 200+km/h and I have not tried it. (I should note that the auto V6 is detuned to 188kw and redlined at 7500 and not 8000.)
Secondly, the auto is very smart. I cannot fault it. I drive the car in manual mode with the paddle a lot of the time (mainly because I love the howl of the engine), but I have to admit that except for kicking down to wash off speed, the auto rules: its changes are often smoother and better placed than my manual choices. And it never gets fooled by weight shift or cornering.
For my money the later models with paddle are a pretty good compromise, especially as the auto 'discount' of about $10k still seems to apply. My car is mechanically very fresh and tight. My hunch is that it is manuals that get thrashed more than autos.
As to the maintenance costs of keep an NSX, I am less nervous now. The engines are spectacularly reliable, and the things that break can mostly be fixed affordably often with NSX Prime help. For example, Prime member briank fixes Bose speakers and broken climate control very well and at a very fair price. That is good to know, because these bits will break eventually in most cars.
Driving a manual might change my opinion, but for now I am 100% happy with my choice.
cheers,
Annie

Back