• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pricing for 02-05 NSX

Hey everybody, new to the forum and the NSX community in general. I'm an american but i've lived in China for the last few years working in mgmt consulting and am moving home finally in early 2017. Really excited to be back in the USA full time and that means i'll need a car again. I've had my heart set on an NSX for a long time now.What do you guys think an average-ish NSX from 02-05 would go for these days? Strongly prefer a manual but as i'm looking for a car to drive a decent amount I'm not searching for ultra-low miles. I'm not a collector, i'm not going to compete with other NSXs...it doesn't have to be in absolutely immaculate show room condition just look nice and run decently is fine.Do you think $60,000 roughly can do it? I'm seeing some on ebay in the 80s but that is generally for ones with very low mileage. That isn't an absolute hard cap to what I would be willing to pay but it's sort of my "no-brainer let's make a deal right now" figure for the right car.Thanks again for any input!

Patience will be key. I did just see a red 04 on CL in CA for 49k with 112k mileage. That was a great deal for your scenario.
It also should be interesting to see what the market does in 2017.

Patience will be key. I did just see a red 04 on CL in CA for 49k with 112k mileage. That was a great deal for your scenario.

Cool, thanks. I actually forgot about CL.

Yeah this is a long term thing certainly not looking to overpay to get one RIGHT NOW. I still live in China right now but moving back from a expat posting in a few months. That said if I see the right one I'll just jump on it. Don't exactly have to twist my old man's arm to get him to take possession of an NSX for a few months! That I know for sure!

Interesting, good to know. I'm just curious why the "spot price" for an NSX seems to be so high relative to the actual average sales price recorded by the industry. In my price range if I wanted a 360 Modena there are a couple on the market right now that I could buy immediately that look perfectly acceptable. Like this one:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ferrari-360-d437#listing=148926591

Where the spot price for the NSX sometimes can reach up to 100K+ for cars I would imagine fall in the upper range of the "good" category rather than concours quality.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2005-Acura-NSX-c1052#listing=148748329

Beautiful car and 33K miles isn't bad...but I don't see that as being a concours model. And they go up from there. But that's a 15-$20,000 premium over the estimated Hagerty value of that model.

Now you guys know much more than me...perhaps it's telling that car has been listed for months without being sold that the owner is being unrealistic.

But it seems like the takeaway to me here is that the NSX has a much larger spread between the spot price (the opportunity cost of wanting to buy the car immediately) and the realistic final sale price compared to cars in the same basic price range like the Modena. Any ideas why? I wouldn't think there are more Modenas out there than NSX and I feel if anything my preference for the NSX is strange; that the average person would choose the Modena at the same price range. But you pay more to get the NSX "right now" than to get the Modena "right now".

Last edited:
Most likely volume. For the Ferrari there were 8500 units produced from 1998-2004. Lets say at least 6,000 of them were sold in the U.S.
In contrast, from 2002-2005 there were about 1,000 NSXx sold. So you have about a 6:1 ratio that makes the market a little funky.

Dealers also tend to be a bit overly optimistic in their pricing.

When I got my 03, with 9000 miles at the time, I didn't look at any other cars. Hondas are what I know and the NSX is what I wanted. I have no interest in a Ferrari or any other expensive European supercar. An NSX is very rare around here and has all the performance I need to be plenty entertained. The closest Ferrari dealer is over a thousand miles plus away. In four and a half years the NSX has needed nothing besides routine maintenance. Same with my 2000 S2000. Completely bulletproof. These cars were built when Honda was at the top of their game.

I'm sure a well sorted out Modena is a great drivers car. So is the NSX, and with the money you'd save on service over time, you could probably pick up a decent daily driver to boot!

Good luck finding a clean '02-05 for $60K now. Usually you'll see a clean pop-up for $60's. Last clean 02' i see in the market go for $60K had over 100K and it was a 'buy it now' on ebay. Auction cars always go for less too. Not saying there isn't deals for '02-05 at $60K, but if you find at $60K the seller wants to unload fast for a business opportunity or the car isn't clean/accident free or an auto.

F-cars like the 360 is a nightmare for maintenance costs so it's not for the young gun that's ready to drive into exotic territory. Probably won't run w/o problems like the NSX has a history of doing. The NSX maintains like a Honda hence it fits well for the entry-level minded type of person. You have your reasons to want an NSX so probably 20+ other's have the same reasons as well. With the new NSX out soon, I've seen more interest in the NSX in general with values going up on the old because the old does it right w/the basics of connecting the driver to the vehicle. Only major costs are big maintenance items that run from $2-3K. F-car maintenance can easily reach over $5K in parts not including labor and parts are harder to source.

If you see an 02-05 NSX for $60K, you better pay immediately for a PPI or have a knowledgeable mechanic look it over with funds ready to go. U won't lose any value on it at all if it's clean. Own it and drive it for a few years and probably sell for the same price you paid. Can't beat that.

Note: only time i've seen low NSX prices was when the market tanked. u can hope for that and then get your wish. NSX is a luxury item and people would rather have a roof over their heads than a car in the garage.

Last edited:
Having a car in the garage means you have the roof over your head covered. A good hammock or a wall bed, a bar fridge, a coffee maker, and a barbecue, and you're good to go.

congrats on soon making it out alive in China.

I've been here close to almost a year working. Away from my nsx. There are good days and there are bad days.

congrats on soon making it out alive in China.

I've been here close to almost a year working. Away from my nsx. There are good days and there are bad days.

haha! I knew it, B2FiNiTY! I saw you on another thread with the Xi YangYang avatar knew you must be in the same boat as me! What are you up to in China?

I'm down in Guangzhou myself working actually for an Australian consulting company of all things. Doing my Master's of accounting degree on the side, when I finish that in a few months I'm going to ship out unless my current company makes me a total godfather offer to stay.

Wow, additional congrats on the masters degree.

I'm in Shijiazhuang, Hebei. It's about an hour south west from Beijing via high speed rail. I'm out here working in sales/product management/marketing/everything for a export only trading company/factory. I used to work down in Dongguan before and used to go to GZ once in awhile. Big city man.

Good luck finding a clean '02-05 for $60K now. Usually you'll see a clean pop-up for $60's. Last clean 02' i see in the market go for $60K had over 100K and it was a 'buy it now' on ebay. Auction cars always go for less too. Not saying there isn't deals for '02-05 at $60K, but if you find at $60K the seller wants to unload fast for a business opportunity or the car isn't clean/accident free or an auto.

F-cars like the 360 is a nightmare for maintenance costs so it's not for the young gun that's ready to drive into exotic territory. Probably won't run w/o problems like the NSX has a history of doing. The NSX maintains like a Honda hence it fits well for the entry-level minded type of person. You have your reasons to want an NSX so probably 20+ other's have the same reasons as well. With the new NSX out soon, I've seen more interest in the NSX in general with values going up on the old because the old does it right w/the basics of connecting the driver to the vehicle. Only major costs are big maintenance items that run from $2-3K. F-car maintenance can easily reach over $5K in parts not including labor and parts are harder to source.

If you see an 02-05 NSX for $60K, you better pay immediately for a PPI or have a knowledgeable mechanic look it over with funds ready to go. U won't lose any value on it at all if it's clean. Own it and drive it for a few years and probably sell for the same price you paid. Can't beat that.

Note: only time i've seen low NSX prices was when the market tanked. u can hope for that and then get your wish. NSX is a luxury item and people would rather have a roof over their heads than a car in the garage.

Thanks, good to know. I agree, while I think the Modena is a fantastic, absolutely gorgeous car I would strongly prefer the NSX for the reasons you mentioned of maintenance and drivability and my own irrational love of the model. But I think a late model NSX and a Modena are good models to compare as entry-level exotics appealing to my demographic. My surprise is that I would have thought the Modena would have a strong edge in prestige with the Ferrari marque which a buyer would pay an irrational premium for.

I.E. a fool would overstretch himself to buy a Ferrari thinking it's his ticket to dating beautiful women without effort. I guess I underestimated the market recognizing the value of the NSX!

The Modena is the flashier car and I would imagine that your average on the street seeing them side by side would think the Ferrari worth far more. Which appeals to me quite honestly, I'm not much of an attention-seeker by nature. If someone appreciates an NSX i'm happy to chat with them about it, where anybody can recognize a Ferrari as something cool.

Oddly enough being a young white guy in a suit in mainland china gets a lot of those kind of "person-on-the-street" kind of approaches where people ask what you do and how much you make and intrusive questions from the locals...the ones who can speak english anyway. So i'm used to that, but I don't want to encourage it with a Ferrari. NSX all the way!

BTW, not looking for the market to tank just so I can buy a car! That would be bad for me too

Last edited:

link? can't seem to find it. seems like a great deal.

hey I feel like this thread is for me too. have an 02 blk/red with 90k I might sell, and I have worked in Guangzhou/dongguan/Shenzhen. I currently have a suppliers in Shijiazhuang and may make a trip out there sooner or later. Small world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey I feel like this thread is for me too. have an 02 blk/red with 90k I might sell, and I have worked in Guangzhou/dongguan/Shenzhen. I currently have a suppliers in Shijiazhuang and may make a trip out there sooner or later. Small world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

send me a message if you plan on coming, would be nice to meet a fellow nsx owner here.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely a small world...let me know if you're out this way before April of next year!

not sure if this is directed at me but hey, I'll take it.

send me a message if you plan on coming, would be nice to meet a fellow nsx owner here.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if this is directed at me but hey, I'll take it.

Absolutely my friend. Shoot me a message if you're down here.

Back