• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pricing of 91 nsx.

Local 91 nsx found all clean except the seats are bit worn, AC compressor not working.
Left side pillar faded and 2 chips in the front and 1 touch up paint repair. Aftermarket rims and exhaust everything else stock. 95k miles with maintenance done by Robert in SoCal. If any body knows him plz tag him for me:)
So here comes the question. How would u guys price for today's price range! Or any recommendations to deal with the defect above. Thx in advance.

Local 91 nsx found all clean except the seats are bit worn, AC compressor not working.
Left side pillar faded and 2 chips in the front and 1 touch up paint repair. Aftermarket rims and exhaust everything else stock. 95k miles with maintenance done by Robert in SoCal. If any body knows him plz tag him for me:)
So here comes the question. How would u guys price for today's price range! Or any recommendations to deal with the defect above. Thx in advance.

Best guess will be around the $32K mark on this one.....

What color??? What kinda rims??? Suspension work???
Other info needed...How many owners, garage kept, major services done, last smog, ??? These are important questions...

With the info we have, I would say anywhere from $25-35k

Pics would be great

It's berlini blk with BM wheels battle and Megan racing coil overs.
Second owner car, garage kept and major service done at Socal Robert on Prime if u know him. last time smog was 2 month ago. It has a x pipe that makes loud sound but wouldnt pass smog so I need to turn it back to stock during smog test. These are basically all I know about it. lol good questions.
But the biggest problem is the faded pillar and the AC compressor. What would be the approximate cost of replacing it or repaint&fix it in a good shop. thx

What color??? What kinda rims??? Suspension work???
Other info needed...How many owners, garage kept, major services done, last smog, ??? These are important questions...

With the info we have, I would say anywhere from $25-35k

Pics would be great

The pillars shouldnt be more then $200 tops for paint job... The AC might get expensive if it is more then what it said to be the issue... The smog failure is the biggest scare.... Have owner get that thing to pass smog before you even think about buying it IMO .

Once that is done you can begin negotiating a price once you get ppi done and get better idea on AC issues...

Good luck ... Let us know what you end up doing.

Yes. It did pass smog in the record with the stock exhaust. If the pillar paint is only 200$ then it shouldn't be a big issue.
The AC compressor is something that I have no knowledge of. How do I get a PPI from an expert? Can u hook me up with some guy that can go checkit out this weekend? Thx a lot.

The pillars shouldnt be more then $200 tops for paint job... The AC might get expensive if it is more then what it said to be the issue... The smog failure is the biggest scare.... Have owner get that thing to pass smog before you even think about buying it IMO .

Once that is done you can begin negotiating a price once you get ppi done and get better idea on AC issues...

Good luck ... Let us know what you end up doing.

My experience would suggest having the maintenance record would be the most important thing to determine value.
Cosmetic wear can usually be fixed reasonably but to me cosmetic wear can also mean neglected maintenance elsewhere.

In the last few years my 91 has needed the following:
A/C compressor replacement and conversion to 134a.
A/C and alternator belts
Timing belt and water pump.
Window mechanism refresh.
All coolant hoses.
Oil pan gasket.
ALB flush and high pressure hose replacement
The usual brake, clutch, transmission fluid changes.
Brake pads.
Main and fuel pump relay
Trunk and hatch struts
Bose amp rebuilds

There seems to be these and other items that start to go after say 21-22 years and close to 100 k miles.
If this car is typical and you need to have a dealer do the work for you $5-7K can go quickly bringing the car back.
If maintenance has been kept up by the owner and there are records/receipts you could pay $35K plus and still be ahead

So he basically didn't do anything except the 90k service and a main relay.
I would offer top 28k to that then. Thx for the info.

I'll definitely refer to your list for further maintenance. THX :)
My experience would suggest having the maintenance record would be the most important thing to determine value.
Cosmetic wear can usually be fixed reasonably but to me cosmetic wear can also mean neglected maintenance elsewhere.

In the last few years my 91 has needed the following:
A/C compressor replacement and conversion to 134a.
A/C and alternator belts
Timing belt and water pump.
Window mechanism refresh.
All coolant hoses.
Oil pan gasket.
ALB flush and high pressure hose replacement
The usual brake, clutch, transmission fluid changes.
Brake pads.
Main and fuel pump relay
Trunk and hatch struts
Bose amp rebuilds

There seems to be these and other items that start to go after say 21-22 years and close to 100 k miles.
If this car is typical and you need to have a dealer do the work for you $5-7K can go quickly bringing the car back.
If maintenance has been kept up by the owner and there are records/receipts you could pay $35K plus and still be ahead

So he basically didn't do anything except the 90k service and a main relay.
I would offer top 28k to that then. Thx for the info.
I'll definitely refer to your list for further maintenance. THX :)

The 90k service is not insignificant and includes a timing belt but it doesn't sound like there are any receipts/records for maintenance.
Let us know how you do?

Oh. Forget to mention that. I've seen the receipt of that and confirmed it with the mechanic who did the service for him. While Mr. Robert mentioned that the seller declined a hoses and AC replacement. Luckily Mr. Robert is willing to offer an inspection for me.
The 90k service is not insignificant and includes a timing belt but it doesn't sound like there are any receipts/records for maintenance.Let us know how you do?

Oh. Forget to mention that. I've seen the receipt of that and confirmed it with the mechanic who did the service for him. While Mr. Robert mentioned that the seller declined a hoses and AC replacement. Luckily Mr. Robert is willing to offer an inspection for me.

Sounds like you've got some paperwork and a good contact with the mechanic.
A PPI from your mechanic should be able to give you a decent estimate of the work needed and the cost.
You can negotiate from there.

If you do buy the car I'd suggest biting the bullet and get the a/c, hoses, and anything else major your PPI identifies.
A blown hose will certainly overheat your engine and could leave you stranded.
Once you do the big items you are usually good for many years of trouble free driving.
You can do the cosmetics anytime once your steed is reliable.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Car was checked out by mr. Robert. He listed the problem of the car:

Both visors torn
Mirror left side painted
A/c climate inop
A/c compressor leaking
Dash plastic broken
Pass regulator very slow needs replacement
Trunk shocks inop

And wrote me a quote: 1700 for parts and 1200 for labor.
it kinda surprised me. Some minor cosmetic problems are not my concern.
I just wanna get AC compressor and climate control and the side pillar paint done.
The seller talked to Robert and still asking for 29. Lol.
What would u say.
Thx

Sounds like you've got some paperwork and a good contact with the mechanic.
A PPI from your mechanic should be able to give you a decent estimate of the work needed and the cost.
You can negotiate from there.

If you do buy the car I'd suggest biting the bullet and get the a/c, hoses, and anything else major your PPI identifies.
A blown hose will certainly overheat your engine and could leave you stranded.
Once you do the big items you are usually good for many years of trouble free driving.
You can do the cosmetics anytime once your steed is reliable.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Those problems will exist in most early nsxs, What you really should be concerned is damage or maintenance that hasn't been done. Those are the problems you don't want to have

If the price of the car or the repairs scares you, you should not buy an nsx. It is not the car for you

Those problems will exist in most early nsxs, What you really should be concerned is damage or maintenance that hasn't been done. Those are the problems you don't want to have

If the price of the car or the repairs scares you, you should not buy an nsx. It is not the car for you

Agreed, when I purchased my 1992 with 25K miles, I had to do the following:
Replace A/C Compressor
Replace Trunk Shocks
Repair Climate Control (BrianK)
Repair all Bose Amps
Flush all fluids, filters (Coolant, Transmission, Oil, Brake Fluid)(Air, Oil, Gas)
Replace Timing Belt (Original)
Replace the Oil Pan Gasket
Replace Starter
Replace Battery
Replace Tires (Rear)

It wasn't long before I wanted to get rid of the "Whiny" NA1 ABS system, and replace the boat anchor exhaust manifold. The initial investment in repairs wasn't inexpensive, but it has been problem free ever since.

NSX shouldn't be expensive to maintain and there are quite a lot trouble free ones out there. if it's scarily expensive to maintain, most people won't choose it over a lot other classic cars, at least it is the case for me.
thank u

My point isn't that it is expensive to maintain. It isn't expensive except of the 7 year services and even those aren't that expensive. My point is that your priority should be finding an accident and paint work free car that is as stock as possible. The items that are concerning you should not be concerning

Yes. That's the definite priority.
My point isn't that it is expensive to maintain. It isn't expensive except of the 7 year services and even those aren't that expensive. My point is that your priority should be finding an accident and paint work free car that is as stock as possible. The items that are concerning you should not be concerning

Btw good luck with your search and purchase. I'm in my third one and the search and purchase process should be savored.

Found this gem for you ....

It's a hell of a deal... If I was in the market is hop on this in a minute...or in other words, if wifey would let me get another one...:tongue:
Minty Sebring Silver 39000 miles for $37k
http://www.specialtysales.com/

image.jpg

You can thank me later..:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thx man:). I've savored this process for more than 7months. Lol

Btw good luck with your search and purchase. I'm in my third one and the search and purchase process should be savored.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell of a deal! But I'll hate myself if I daily it. It's my first car and I don't have a garage till next year btw. So maybe I can help u convince ur wife. :)

Found this gem for you ....

It's a hell of a deal... If I was in the market is hop on this in a minute...or in other words, if wifey would let me get another one...:tongue:
Minty Sebring Silver 39000 miles for $37k
http://www.specialtysales.com/

View attachment 120251

You can thank me later..:biggrin:

NSX shouldn't be expensive to maintain and there are quite a lot trouble free ones out there. if it's scarily expensive to maintain, most people won't choose it over a lot other classic cars, at least it is the case for me.
thank u

I can assure you that an NSX is expensive to maintain.

Over my 24 years of ownership the costs have come on an irregular basis with some years very high and vice versa.
The advice owners are trying to give you is find a car that has had good maintenance over its life.
Owners who do mechanical maintenance also tend to look after the interior and the exterior.

I think you can expect to be looking at large maintenance costs like a timing belt, A/C compressor etc. as most sellers will leave the maintenance to the new owner to do.

Find an NSX with a good maintenance record with a clean title as close to stock as possible.
Expect the pay a fair price to a seller who has looked after their car.
A cheap price on a good car sometimes happens but wouldn't count on it.

I read above you're worried about buying and daily driving a low mileage NSX, it's your first car, and you don't have a garage for it.

The first car I would buy is a low mileage stock unit like 91X has shown before any others you've talked about here.
Doesn't sound like you are quite ready for an NSX yet.

Thx man:). I've savored this process for more than 7months. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hell of a deal! But I'll hate myself if I daily it. It's my first car and I don't have a garage till next year btw. So maybe I can help u convince ur wife. :)

You might want to consider buying a daily driver first before hopping into the NSX. It does sound like you're not ready for an NSX. Do yourself a favor and wait. I thought I was ready to buy one 11 years ago and i'm really glad I waited because more than likely had I bought it I would have had to sell fairly quickly because of major maintenance cost. Another thing, if you are not planning to keep it stock, when the mod bug hits those dollars can pile up very quickly.

Back