• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Programming Keyless Entry Remote?

I just purchased a 1996 NSX-T with the OEM keyless entry module installed. I did not get any keychain transmitters. I do have an extra OEM transmitter from another 1996 NSX-T. No problem I thought, I'll just reprogram the module to accept the keychain transmitter. If only I knew how...

Does anybody know exactly how you do this?

I did take a look at the module, there are no buttons on the outside (I was hoping for a "learn" button). So I took it apart. There is a switch inside the module marked "S1 Learn" and a jumper "CN2". So I tried every combination of jumper, switch, ignition, and hitting the keychain that I could think of. None worked.

So if anybody out there knows the actual sequence to reprogram one of these, please enlighten me! Thanks =)

-Daniele

------------------

Hi there and welcome to the forum. There is a seach function on this forum. To use it, press the "Search" button in the upper right hand corner. Type in the subject you are looking for in the "Search Words" block and then press the "Perform Search" button.

I searched for "Program keyless entry" and found these results: http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000568.html http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000945.html

Hope that helps you. Please list the color of your NSX and any mods.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

[This message has been edited by Litesokneecough (edited 07 December 2002).]

Thanks for the welcome.

I had searched the forum before I took my unit apart. Though the question is asked once or twice, I'm afraid it's never actually answered.

For the record, my NSX is red and it has no mods.

-Daniele

The factory keyless entry remotes are not programmable. They are a matched set with the control box for the unit. You can order a new remote but you will need to get the number off the control box under the glove box. Might be cheaper to buy a whole new unit if you want more than one remote, you will need to call the dealer. Hope this helps.

Bruce, www.pettittsauto.com

A new keyless entry with two remotes is only $65. Feel free to email me at [email protected] I can ship you units and wiring directions for any car. My units are four button with function icons. If you prefer security or remote start, I even have remote starter special for manual transmissions.

OK, it can be reprogrammed. Unfortunately I wasn't too methodical about it, so I can't say exactly how it's done, but if you play around with the following you'll get it...

Take apart the keyless entry module. There is a switch marked "Learn" and a jumper. I shorted the jumper but you may not have too, I really don't know. Flip the switch to "learn", make certain the doors are closed, turn the ignition on (just radio and stuff, I don't think you have to start the car), and hit the remote you wish to program a lot. To check it turn off the ignition and hit the remote. I basically just played with those variables (learn switch, ignition, and jumper) until it started working.

Note that my keyless entry module had been left sitting in my den for a month while I was busy, so it's possible that it has to be removed from the car for a while. I doubt it though.

For the record this was done with the OEM keyless entry module for my current 1996 NSX (#225) using the OEM remote from my old 1996 NSX (#281).

Also as a side note: the old keyless remote was one I didn't use because the batteries only lasted two days. When I got the new NSX it did not come with remotes but had the keyless entry module installed. So I opened the old remote and found some corrosion around the chips from an old battery leak. I cleaned it up with a knife and it now works fine. The corrusion was causing a short that was draining the battery.

-Daniele

I wonder if you can program the module in the NSX to "learn" another Acura remote. I'd love to be able to use one remote for my NSX and MDX.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
I wonder if you can program the module in the NSX to "learn" another Acura remote. I'd love to be able to use one remote for my NSX and MDX.

I'd say it's within the realm of possibility, but not likely. The MDX and NSX would have to use the same system to identify a key. Inside your NSX key remote is a piece of paper with the key number on it (or at least there was in mine). Check and see if the same holds true for your MDX and check the numbers to see if they're similar. If the MDX number has twice as many digits (for example) then I'm going to say not a chance. Note that if anybody wishes to send me their MDX for a month I will be happy to look into this for them
smile.gif

There are aftermarket alarms that will handle multiple cars from one remote, so you can always go that route if you wanted.

-Daniele

Back