• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Proper way of storing wheels with tires mounted?

I have several fulls sets of rims mounted with tires (summer/winter) that are stored 4 high stacked on top of eachother. Just wondering if this is okay or should they be on a rack in an upright position. A store here has some free standing racks on sale for $30 that hold 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top (not the rack system that you hang or bolt onto the wall up high).

What do you think? I can't hang them cuz my MDX winters are too heavy to lift, but have tons of space to store them on the floor.........just wondering what most of you do?? Oh, they all get rotated for the season so not stored more then 6 mths.

Thanks!
Shawna

Get one of those wall mount that they use to mount the tire/wheels on the wall :wink:. Or you can stack each set using card board to separate each wheels also use card board on the floor too before you set the wheel down.

I have some stacked with cardboard between,and some upright on gorilla shelving...no issues.

Stack on the side like you've been doing otherwise the tires will develop flat spots and become useless.

really? properly inflated tires with only the weight of the tire and wheel will cause flatspotting:confused:

Depends on how long they sit and the age of the rubber. I bought a set with some trashed tires and they are extremely flat spotted! I can grab a pic..

tirerack.com sells a wall mount.

tire-storage-solutions-wall-mounted-tire-rack.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll keep them stacked as is which are all in tire bags........problem is some of the wheels i.e winter MDX weigh a ton and highly unlikely I can lift them up and over my head onto the wall racks unless you strong guys want to come to Canada to help out twice a year? Don't worry, you can get all 4 sets down at once and I'll give you a beer or two :>)........I'll check the floor racks here since they are on sale. Almost car time!

What, no Canadians strong enough?

I don't think it matters. Store them wherever it fits best. I've stored mine both ways - some standing up (leaning over slightly), others stacked horizontally - however they fit best in the space you have for them. Nothing wrong with those racks if you want them for greater space efficiency, but you don't need them for the well-being of the tires/wheels; they'll be fine just sitting flat or on an edge.

My MDX all-seasons are stacked horizontally in the garage. I still haven't changed back from winters, since our temps are still unusually cold, with the possibility of snow tomorrow.

Incidentally, the weight of a stock 17" rim from a 2001-2006 MDX is 23-25 pounds, and the weight of a tire (at least, the stock-sized Bridgestone Dueler Alenza I'm using) is 34 pounds. So that's 57-59 pounds for each wheel/tire. That compares with around 36F/46R pounds for a stock wheel/tire for my '91 NSX.

Last edited:
use a safe step stool when getting the tires up there; it will help alot re stress on your body (my rx winter tires should weight the same as your mdx tires).

as for deals; i would recommend keeping your eye out on princess auto when they have a sale for the tire racks. mine were approx 60$ each + hst.

photo.jpg
Thanks, I'll keep them stacked as is which are all in tire bags........problem is some of the wheels i.e winter MDX weigh a ton and highly unlikely I can lift them up and over my head onto the wall racks unless you strong guys want to come to Canada to help out twice a year? Don't worry, you can get all 4 sets down at once and I'll give you a beer or two :>)........I'll check the floor racks here since they are on sale. Almost car time!

Last edited:
position really doesn't matter. I store my winter tires in large plastic garbage bags. Tires have a shelf life of about 6 years from date of manufacture and i have been told you can extend that if you seal them in a bag or wrap them. Of course UV light is part of the equation as well. I don't bother with track tires as i use them up within a year, several sets, but tire you keep a long time you may want to consider bagging them.

Just my 2 cents.

Tytus

One thing to consider with those wall-mounted racks... Lifting wheel/tires off the ground, especially to any significant height, can be difficult. Especially if you're talking about really really heavy wheels/tires, like the ones for an SUV.

Thanks Guys/Gals..........there is no way my wee little self can lift my 19" winter or summer wheels with tires up over my head. Looked at some rackes here that stack low but opted to keep them on the ground, in bags stacked 4 high since the winter ones are REALLY heavy. Almost NSX time!!

Back