• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective NSX buyer, Current SL500 owner

Hey, Guys. I currently own a '97 SL500 (R129) and i'm considering replacing it with an NSX. I know answers will be biased here, as expected.

She's in perfect shape, 81k miles, and is my baby. I've always said i'd only let her go for a newer SL or and NSX. So i'm stuck on whether i should keep her, get a newer SL (R230) or go for the NSX. Here are some pics:

Also, what's the deal with this NSX? It's been for sale for quite some time. I noticed Autocheck shows it being in a FEMA area but doesn't say anything about flooding, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...0323912?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5d2c028fc8

1404.jpg

1410.jpg

1386.jpg

1380.jpg

1327.jpg

1221.jpg

1232.jpg

1236.jpg

1243.jpg

1271.jpg

Nsx all the way. Compared to the price of a sl65 (another favorite), the nsx still will out handle it anyday. Then you have the fact its a rare nsx, not just a benz. I got my car back from shop last thurs and took it out fri, sat, and to school tuesday. Each day someone said/asked about it. They said "your sooo lucky to be so younge driving a nice car", "the nsx has always been my dream car", "whats that thing sound like" and a girl asked me if i wanted a ride to my car tues to take my spot and when i said stop here she said "i wish it was you driving me to my car". Case and point i think this car gets all the looks and awe of exotics with little to no maintaince issuse. A sl500 i dont know anyone thats owned one, just know euro driver seem to sell around 75 k..... Your right about there lol.

I am also coming from a Mercedes. It's around 50K miles and I am selling it for an NSX. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the exotic feel, then NSX is your choice.

i say get both if you can, the SL is a classic, i also have an Sl, its a 89 560SL the last of the body style, its a classic in pristine condition will never sell her:biggrin:.

My Dad owned a '99 R129 SL500 for a number of years and eventually traded up for a '06 R130 SL55 AMG, I have also driven a '10 R130 SL63 AMG at Laguna Seca. Although I appreciate the classic German style of the R129, I believe the NSX is a more striking automobile and it is unquestionably more enjoyable to drive. I'm personally not a big fan of the R130 exterior design but AMG engines are, to coin a Clarkson-ism, "astonishing" when you put your foot into the pedal. Overall, I like the NSX more because it is unique, reliable, affordable to maintain (for an automobile of its type) and the community of NSX owners is generally awesome. If your decision is between a NSX and a non-AMG R130, buy the NSX, you will not regret the decision. If you are considering an SL55/63 AMG, still go with an NSX for the aforementioned reasons but start saving for a C63 AMG so you can eventually have the best of both worlds.

Jack

I am also coming from a Mercedes. It's around 50K miles and I am selling it for an NSX. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the exotic feel, then NSX is your choice.

What kind of MB do you have. I have a 97 SC300 as a daily but would one day want to boost the 2J.

i say get both if you can, the SL is a classic, i also have an Sl, its a 89 560SL the last of the body style, its a classic in pristine condition will never sell her:biggrin:.

The other option is to sell my Daily SC300 and keep the SL. It's just that the SL will bring in more money and is probably not as much as an ideal daily driver compared to the Lexus.

My Dad owned a '99 R129 SL500 for a number of years and eventually traded up for a '06 R130 SL55 AMG, I have also driven a '10 R130 SL63 AMG at Laguna Seca. Although I appreciate the classic German style of the R129, I believe the NSX is a more striking automobile and it is unquestionably more enjoyable to drive. I'm personally not a big fan of the R130 exterior design but AMG engines are, to coin a Clarkson-ism, "astonishing" when you put your foot into the pedal. Overall, I like the NSX more because it is unique, reliable, affordable to maintain (for an automobile of its type) and the community of NSX owners is generally awesome. If your decision is between a NSX and a non-AMG R130, buy the NSX, you will not regret the decision. If you are considering an SL55/63 AMG, still go with an NSX for the aforementioned reasons but start saving for a C63 AMG so you can eventually have the best of both worlds.

Jack

I have always loved the R129 but i agree that the NSX is more striking and enjoyable to drive. My SL has more HP and Torque but is also a porker, so i doubt i'd miss the pull and V8 sound.

What kind of MB do you have. I have a 97 SC300 as a daily but would one day want to boost the 2J.

It's a 2002 CL500 which is my daily drive. I am in the process of selling it and picking up an NSX-T this weekend.

I have a 06 SL500 and it drives like a dream. So much more responsive than my SC400.

Having said that, I would like to buy a 05 NSX as a garage queen just to drool over from time to time.

My other consideration was Aston Martin vantage v8. But the maintenance cost is just too much and depreciation schedule is really really bad. But man that engine sounds great. The styling is to die for too.

are you looking at the facelifted R230, or the older one? Which model exactly? I would say they're definitely different beasts, each with its own merits. I would choose the NSX (not surprisingly), but the SL is a nice car - and comes in a convertible if that's something you're interested in.

I recently had to make a similar choice, and what helped me decide was the fact that i could always come back to <insert car here>, but the NSX is getting harder and harder to find if you're looking for an unmolested copy. I'd probably go for the NSX, keep it a few years, and if you're itching for the SL later, you can sell the NSX at a minimal loss and pick up an SL. After all, the 231 is right around the corner, so that will give you even more options :smile:

are you looking at the facelifted R230, or the older one? Which model exactly? I would say they're definitely different beasts, each with its own merits. I would choose the NSX (not surprisingly), but the SL is a nice car - and comes in a convertible if that's something you're interested in.

I recently had to make a similar choice, and what helped me decide was the fact that i could always come back to <INSERT here car>, but the NSX is getting harder and harder to find if you're looking for an unmolested copy. I'd probably go for the NSX, keep it a few years, and if you're itching for the SL later, you can sell the NSX at a minimal loss and pick up an SL. After all, the 231 is right around the corner, so that will give you even more options :smile:

It would be the non facelifted, maybe around an 05. Most likely another SL500 but if i can find a good deal on a 600 or 55, i'd jump on it. But i really like the rarity and exclusivity of the NSX. I see maybe 10 SLs for every one NSX.

I would say to sell the Lexus and buy the NSX while keeping the SL. I love my NSX for its own reasons, but my E63 AMG is a SLEDGEHAMMER of a daily driver. I love them each for their own reasons, and they never bore me.

I would say to sell the Lexus and buy the NSX while keeping the SL. I love my NSX for its own reasons, but my E63 AMG is a SLEDGEHAMMER of a daily driver. I love them each for their own reasons, and they never bore me.

I was just thinking that the SL would be less practical a daily driver than the SL. Not to mention i would get more money from the sale of the SL than the SC. The Lexus is probably more reliable as well.

thats a classy looking SL. im coming from 2 e92 335i 6mt chipped. i really miss the low end torque. but what can i say i had a love/hate relation ship with that car i end up with an unexpected NSX and i really love it. but i get bored of cars easily. so i wanted to sell my nsx but i cant seem to part out with it. since its getting more rare day by day. haha unlike others. i think im gonna be holding on to mines. and possibly buy an 95-99 T Top Nsx

Back