• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective owner with a few questions

If it wasn't clear, yes my product development experience is in this industry. More than that, I spent a great deal of my off hours keeping up with industry news, technical and regulatory developments and products in the pipe line. I would not make up the comment about the workforce. It was mentioned by a known Honda insider on another forum. Draw your own conclusions.

Audi R8 and Lambo both offered RWD variants during some years and there have been more than several reports and speculations that the NSX performance variant, Type R or S, may ditch the front motors. It is neither confirmed nor denied. This speculative "news" had come up long ago for anyone that stays in touch with the industry, it shouldn't be a surprise.

Don't wait too long if you want to buy one. I doubt the refresh version will have any incentives or any that is as sweet as the $20k - $30K. You don't want to wind up like me, sitting on the sideline watching modern cars go by. The engineer in me sometimes get caught with analysis paralysis.

LOL - it's true. I am also looking at another vehicle and I was telling my wife we can't get that due to confirmed refresh in a year or so. At this rate, we'd never get a new car :D I could be dead tomorrow so better to enjoy it sooner than later.

I have a friend who is well known in the forum who told me the other day that he does not look forward to the electric car future. To a certain degree I concur. I find myself driving my NC1 in Sport+ all the time, which opens up both exhausts and essentially makes more noise. I do love the sound. As for the driving characteristics, that is an interesting question. As you mentioned each person will have a different take on the plus and minuses of the NC1.

I had a 91 Red NSX for about 5 years and loved the car. Got rid of it because it became less functional on a day to day basis. In the end I went from the NSX to a Infiniti 1990 Q45a that I modified, blew that engine and went to a 1994 Q45 which I hated to a 1999 Lexus GS400 which I modified back to a 2001 NSX-T for my retirement at 55, which I modified and kept for 14 years. I loved that car. But again, times change as do circumstances. When I retired again and we moved back to Santa Barbara it took all our money to buy our new home. So all of a sudden having a modified NSX-T did not make as much sense. I was saddened to sell it but was happy that the buyer loved it. I pretty much figured it was the end of the road as far as sports cars.

We had a great Plugin SUV that carries our dog and our stuff and a 100% electric car. What more could we want. Then it was time to replace the electric car. We could not find a car or SUV that we both liked at the same time. Almost purchased the Audi Etron in Electric Blue, The Tesla X, The Tesla S, The Korean Electrics, Porsche Taycan (ugly 4 door) nothing turned us on. Then my good buddy said why not get the electric NSX. WOW! I said. And then my Wife said yes! Sight unseen.

Well the NSX is not all electric but it is a bonified Hybrid. So I kept that minor point between me and the car. When I found our car at the Ilusso Dealership it was love at first sight. My wife bought the car for me sight unseen saying that if it made me happy that was all she needed. Well how many ways can I tell you I love this thing....and of course my wife. It goes like a bat out of hell. It sounds wonderful (SOS downpipes) and looks so good I just wet my pants every time I look at it and get into the car. It is so comfortable and does not make me feel exhausted as my modified 2001 NSX-T did with Coilovers and a tightened up chassis. Maybe it is that I am now almost 74 and just don't want the harshness anymore.

When you drive the new NC1 you appreciate all the changes that have come about in the car. I have no desire to feel the road again like I use to. I could always get a wooden based Morgan to feel the road. Now I want to sound like I am going fast, look like I am going fast, and actually on occasion go really fast knowing that I can control a supercar somewhat, just like I did with two earlier generations of the NSX. Am I infatuated with this car. YES, however when I die, I will not be buried in it. It is too big for me to be cremated in it. And what a waste that would be.

Last edited:
Dropping the electric motors is never going to happen in the NC1. Why, well for one it is a Hybrid and ditching the motors is going backwards in development and refinement. Also keep in mind that chassis dynamics would change drastically if the combo motors were dropped. That would necessitate a significant financial investment in the car, and for what going backwards? If you want a rear drive only NC1 buy the GT3 race car. And you can buy one for about $500k.

If anything Acura/Honda will continue to refine the hybrid setup. They can improve on performance and save on weight as the electric motor technology improves. Just look what Toyota did with the Prius. Batteries are also improving with weight savings of 20% or more for the same performance capability. I think many are stuck in the past. When people say the car is too heavy, are they saying that because while driving it they found it unresponsive? Or are they just saying that because they don't like it.

Most of the people who complain on this forum do not actually own the car or have ever driven the car. I think that says more than anything. I am going out on the limb here but forecast that in the next year you will see/preview at least 4 other hybrid/hybrid plugin supercars in the marketplace.

Last edited:
Hi Manny...

Paragraphs ( ¶ ) are everybody's friend......

Dropping the electric motors is never going to happen in the NC1. Why, well for one it is a Hybrid and ditching the motors is going backwards in development and refinement. Also keep in mind that chassis dynamics would change drastically if the combo motors were dropped. That would necessitate a significant financial investment in the car, and for what going backwards?

I'm not sure if they will drop the front motors or not, but Audi releasing a RWD R8 that starts at $142,700 has got to put pressure on Acura to either reduce the price on the current NSX or release a cheaper model to compete.

If anything Acura/Honda will continue to refine the hybrid setup. They can improve on performance and save on weight as the electric motor technology improves. Just look what Toyota did with the Prius. Batteries are also improving with weight savings of 20% or more for the same performance capability. I think many are stuck in the past. When people say the car is too heavy, are they saying that because while driving it they found it unresponsive? Or are they just saying that because they don't like it.

Adding some decent electric-only range (even just 20 or 30 miles) would give the NSX a real USP, I think. Not sure how feasible that is, though.

I think that says more than anything. I am going out on the limb here but forecast that in the next year you will see/preview at least 4 other hybrid/hybrid plugin supercars in the marketplace.

Well, we already know about two: the Maserati MC20 and the McLaren Artura. And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Porsche were to announce a hybrid 911 in the next year.

Dropping the electric motors is never going to happen in the NC1. Why, well for one it is a Hybrid and ditching the motors is going backwards in development and refinement. Also keep in mind that chassis dynamics would change drastically if the combo motors were dropped. That would necessitate a significant financial investment in the car, and for what going backwards?

I'm not sure if they will drop the front motors or not, but Audi releasing a RWD R8 that starts at $142,700 has got to put pressure on Acura to either reduce the price on the current NSX or release a cheaper model to compete.

Adding some decent electric-only range (even just 20 or 30 miles) would give the NSX a real USP, I think. Not sure how feasible that is, though.

Back