• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Protect Your NSX from THEFT

I own a S4 and a NSX, and recently many S4's have been stolen. I starting importing an alarm system called the Aladdin 2000 two years ago. It one of the best alarms out there. I read that someone on this board paid $800 for the unit and installation from one of my old dealers. Well I am setting up a groupbuy on this alarm system and for the installation, so you can buy direct. Protect your NSX with 1/4 paging, so if anyone breaks into your car it will page you. I will be coordination this groupbuy with other forums so as audiworld, audizine, and nsxprime. If you have any more link them up, and we all can save and protect our investments. Please email me at [email protected] to be put on the groupbuy list.

Here is a link to how it saved someone cars
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/734860.phtml

Here is what other people think of the alarm who have installed it
http://www.audi zine.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12491&FORUM_ID=6&CAT_ID=3&Forum_Title=1%2E+A4%2FS4%2FRS4&Topic_Title=Aladdin+Alarm%21+++Where+can+I+get+one%3F

Here is some more information about the alarm

http://www.speedimageonline.com/aladdin/aladdin.html

I am setting up a groupbuy for this alarm with this board and a few other boards. Retail on this alarm is $350 MSRP.

Here are the groupbuy prices

1-8 units $175 + free shipping
9-16 units $170 + free shipping
17-34 people $165 + free shipping
35-50 units $155 + free shipping
51+ units $150 + free shipping

Installation will be only $150 integrated into the NSX. The installer is one of the best and has much experience with these alarms. I have one installer in Southern California and another installer in Boston, who I can get to particpate. The audi is one of the toughtest systems to install the Aladdin into, so the NSX will be cake. Also at the same time these accessories are available at a discounted price.

DEI Window UP/Down Module -$69
Window Roll up only -$39
Extra Shock Sensor -$29
Glass Breakage Sensor -$29
Interior Radar Sensor -$29

aladdin.jpg

[This message has been edited by Cyan NSX (edited 16 September 2002).]

Also if we get enought people I will also create a DIY instruction manual for those who want to install this on their own, or who are not located around the Boston area or Southern California.

I interested. 1. Does alarm starter kill or fuel pump kill. 2. Does System utilize backup battery. Give us your Paypal email
Dan

The alarm has built in starter kill. I can get backup batteries for $45 dollars. Email me at [email protected] to be put on the groupbuy list. As more and more people join the price goes down. We have 14 people now in.

What features does this alarm come with?
How many channels?
1/4 range on a pager isn't much did you get this correct or is it a misprint?
What sensors come with it?

Wiring shcematic included? This is the best way to evaluate what an alarm can do.

Personal favorite
Clifford AvantGuard 4

Answered some of my own question. Not a bad buy.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 16 September 2002).]

Does anyone know who manufactures these alarms?

I've been installing car audio and alarms for years and I have never heard of Aladdin. The alarm itself has great features and it's hard for me to imagine some no name company popping up out of the woodwork to create such an advanced alarm. I wonder who the parent company is...

Alarms themselves are generally inexpensive. The modules I can get from my distributors for much less than the previous post had mentioned. If you guys are interested in getting the modules, I can pick them up from my distributor and give them to you guys at cost if you want to just place one large order. I don't want to keep going back and forth buying them for people. I get genuine DEI modules.

The most expensive part of the alarm is the installation. You can get people to install alarms for $50 but they will use shortcut tactics that will make the alarm just about worthless. Here are some things to consider.

1. How are the connections being made? Soldering of course is the best way to make your connections. It's the most time consuming but it's the securest. T-taps and splices are commonly used to save time and can come loose. Butt connectors will work pretty well and are more reliable than taps.

2. Is the alarm well hidden? If someone hides the brain, then it's harder to disable the alarm. Ihe the brain is visible, depending on how the starter kill relay is set (normally open vs. normally closed), just disconnecting the harnesses will completely disable the alarm and the thief can start the car.

Probably the best and cheapest way to prevent your car from getting stolen is a well hidden starter kill. But alarms are great because they deter theft, ie. the thief doesn't have to break into your car to find out he can't start it. Prevent access to the battery via hoodlock.

Just be careful with less expensive alarm installations. The cheapest alarm with the best installation is better than the best alarm with the cheapest installation.

Manufactured by Alpha technologies. One of the best alarm system in Japan, and was imported to the U.S. two years ago, and debuted at CES. Also its 1/4 mile range which is plenty and much farther than any of the DEI, or Cliford or other alarm systems out there. If you have more questions email me at [email protected]

Read that thread for more info. Another NSX user just put one in his car. Comes with lifetime warranty. DEI and Alpine came to our booth two years ago at CES. The alarm has also been called the Boomerang in japan. In the thread below has some install tips. Everything is well hidden and it has 1.4 mile range for arming and disarming. The alarm goes off when someone breaks into your car, as well as paging the user. It has saved a few Audis that are being stolen in the New Jersey area right now. Some of the Audi guys have had the Cliffords and the DEI and got rid of their systems for the Aladdin.
http://www.audi zine.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12491&FORUM_ID=6&CAT_ID=3&Forum_Title=1%2E+A4%2FS4%2FRS4&Topic_Title=Aladdin+Alarm%21+++Where+can+I+get+one%3F

i Have no plans on getting an alarm for my nsx ......but if i was i sure wouldnt install that one... imo.

Check this one out ... i had the first one they produced few years ago and its a great unit ...... the newer one uses spread spectrum technolgy and has a one mile range...they won the design n engineering award in 2001 n 2002 at CES show.I love the pager ..it lets u know when the car is in range of the remote/2 way pager and allows you to check its status with the push of a button heres a link to there site which offers a toll free customer service number as well.
www.compustar.org

[This message has been edited by NyC NsX (edited 17 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NyC NsX (edited 17 September 2002).]

The alarm looks interesting. I'd be curious to see what the true range is. A lot of alarm pagers claim 1/2 mile range but that's in near vacuum like conditions. Crimestopper has a pretty long unit but they cannot release it in the states due to FCC restrictions. I had one of the earlier DEI pagers and with the extended antenna got about 1 block range when they claimed 1/2 mile.

If anyone claims that their car was "saved" due to "X" brand alarm, take that with a grain of salt as I've indicated before, the installation is what counts the most. Whether they had the Aladdin installed or the cheapie Viper 300 installed, the car would have been saved had the installations been identical. They're all basically the same when it comes to defeating them. You kill power to the alarm and depending on the wiring may have to bypass the kill relay(s). No alarm is really better than any other alarm once the thief gets inside your car and tries to disable it. Outside of your car, your alarm can be prone to code grabbing but nearly every manufacturer creates alarms now with code hopping. Code scanning is a thing of the past.

DEI owns Clifford, Viper, Hornet, etc, making them the world's largest auto security company. They make the best modules and have a longstanding reputation for creating very reliable alarms.

I don't doubt the Aladdin is a great alarm as well. It has some of the coolest features I've seen in a long time. It's good that DEI has some real competition.

Newer alarm companies tend to have a lot of bugs in their alarms. Like transmitters that need battery replacement frequently. Or faulty sensors, programming problems, operational glitches, etc. I'd read any REAL reviews carefully on this alarm and would only get it if you had to have all the extra features. From a security standpoint, you're just as well protected with good DEI unit.

Originally posted by Cyan NSX:
Manufactured by Alpha technologies. One of the best alarm system in Japan, and was imported to the U.S. two years ago, and debuted at CES. Also its 1/4 mile range which is plenty and much farther than any of the DEI, or Cliford or other alarm systems out there. If you have more questions email me at [email protected]

Read that thread for more info. Another NSX user just put one in his car. Comes with lifetime warranty. DEI and Alpine came to our booth two years ago at CES. The alarm has also been called the Boomerang in japan. In the thread below has some install tips. Everything is well hidden and it has 1.4 mile range for arming and disarming. The alarm goes off when someone breaks into your car, as well as paging the user. It has saved a few Audis that are being stolen in the New Jersey area right now. Some of the Audi guys have had the Cliffords and the DEI and got rid of their systems for the Aladdin.

Sure we can meet on the weekends at A1 Autobody in Huntington Beach. I dont have the alarm installed on my NSX yet, but it will be going in after the body work. I have a bunch of Audi buddies that will be there that have the alarm installed on their cars, and you can see them in action

I have this alarm. The range is not as advertised due to interference (shielded buildings, rf interference, etc..)However,the range can be met if a slight modification is done to the transmitter, cut off the FCC inhibiter cone and the range should be increased. My transmitter is located on my driver side visor. The alarm has too many features and requires a lot of reading from the user. To program it and install it is also harder than any other alarms out there. Its new so it will be a while to learn. It is a great alarm though due to the range. I just prefer to have the base with antannae located elsewhere but the higher the placement the better the range, so I was told by Beach Autosound in Westminster. Mine was installed for a little over $600.00. That seems to be a magic number since that is how much the HID kit cost with installation. Also the cost for the performance springs installed and aligned.

Tan

I actually have this alarm on my expedition and I love it. The range is pretty good (from inside the house to the street) and it has a car locater that flashes your lights. Remote engine start (but i had to disable the ford factory kill switch cause of the sensor in the keys) You can also use the alarm for multiple cars which is very nice. I know I will install the alarm on my nsx so count me in on a group buy. I paid about 200 bucks for it but had the install for free.

Thats a nice looking system. The pager is a nice touch. Here's what I have for protection. A viper alarm. If they manage to get around the ignition disable there, I have a GPS driven locating system, that will email me on my cell phone, if my car is started and starts to move. From there, I can get online, go to the company website, and watch my car moving on down the road while i'm on the phone with the police. It gives me speed, direction, and the name of the street. Luckily, the unit does NOT have to be in plain view for it to receive/transmit. Before installing it in the dash behind the glove box, i bought some OFFICIAL looking HONDA stickers and placed them on it, so it looks like some sort of factory electronic equipment. Blends right in with everything else under the dash. This also works like a charm, for those of you who let others, or God forbid, your WOMEN, drive your car without you in it.
biggrin.gif

Also its 1/4 mile range which is plenty and much farther than any of the DEI, or Cliford or other alarm systems out there.

I am not talking about actual range what is the claimed range? The other manufactures claim 1 mile range. Actually what is really important is how many watts is the pager unit? The max allowed by the FCC is 4 watts. All the major brands are running 4 watts. Good deal regaurdless.

Typical price for the top of the line Clifford module is $220.00. As mentioned above the install is where you get your security. This is also the major portion of the cost associated with buying an alarm. A $50 alarm can be made better than a $1000 alarm. It just matters how it was installed.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 20 September 2002).]

It sounds like a good "bang for the buck". I would be interested to hear from other NSX owners who have it, or have heard things about it. Anyone else besides those who have posted?

Back