• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Puppy Question: ok, I know this doesn't belong here, but...

I have to ask, given the mass knowledge from everyone in different fields here...

I recently acquired a 4 mos. old little Porm for my wife, which she longed to have a puppy for 3-4 yrs... She's a cutie and for the first time of my life, bring me some joy to "come home". Which I couldn't actually feel before... Yeah, it's weird.

Anyway, since I'm staying in my in-law's house and there supposed to be a no doggy house. We are very worried and impatient to get my puppy potty trained. (that will be the only concern)

She had been good, but seems like she really likes to "leak". My wife was intented to train the puppy with those toilet pads for dogs. Now that the puppy already mastered that she had to land its s*** on the paper in our bathroom. However, she only had a 70% time she actually piss on the pad. She either missed it, or just figure a different place to leak.

However, the most problem we had is that she started wetting her "den" lately. and whenever we got her out of her den, she will get very excited and then... "leak". I called it a leak cuz it's a very little one.

I used to have a Maltese and it's probably closed to 15 yrs ago. The only thing I remembered was that we did punish the dog when she did something wrong and having newspaper in the bathroom as her potty area. She did everything well and we had no problem with her at all.

All the readings I had discouraging punishment to the puppies, my wife did it couple times as frustration came anyway, but my puppy just turned around walk over to me and wigged her tails to both of us... (so either it doesn't feel the punishment, or my wife didn't punish her hard enough) :rolleyes:

I'm very frustrated, and as I remembered there's a lot of member here had all kinds of dogs, I need some advise.

thanks in advance

Take her out often and give her praise when she "leaks" outside. Positive Reinforcment! When she "leaks" in the house, break her neck. J/K!!!

We put pennies in a soda can and shook it when our dogs would have an accident in the house. The noise scares them and they will associate the noise with going to the restroom in the house. Solved our problem. Well, and it did cost me 2K for training at Mans Best Friend, but that was more for protection training.

Good Luck!

We put pennies in a soda can and shook it when our dogs would have an accident in the house. The noise scares them and they will associate the noise with going to the restroom in the house

Thanks man, that's what I needed ... I heard that before, but then, nothing scares my dog so far... Anything supposed to be scary to her she shows she's in wonder and getting excited. Even my Taitec JGTC exhaust inside the garage. I was cleaning the throttle body, my buddy's dog was hiding from the fierce noise... She just stood there and wigging her tail...

anyone has more advice, keep them coming, guys.

We were able to housebreak our English Bulldog in ~ 2 weeks by "Crate Training" him. Do a Google search on Crate Training. Good luck!

Crate training worked well for me. I had almost an identical situation as the first time I took my previous dog to my parent's house. She had been trained. Then about 2 weeks before the trip, she started going in the house again. We checked with the vet and he said she wasn't properly trained. When we pressed harder I begrudging did some tests and found that she had bladder stones due to her food. The pain caused he to go much more often. Be sure to cover both paths.

Skip the puppy pads, the dog gets too confused as where it should go. Feed on a specific schedule, always go out through the same door, use the same trigger word, go to the same part of the yard. Starting this late and with this breed it will take a long time. Be glad it is not a Lab, much larger puddles!!!

Using a kennel is a great idea. Keep it just a little larger than the puppy so it cannot urinate or defecate in one end and go to the other side to get away. Dogs are den animals, they like close surroundings, that is why so many bury themselves under the sheets. Leave the kennel open whenever you are home so the puppy can use it when it gets tired. Never, ever, use the kennel for time out. That is what God made bathrooms and laundry rooms for:D Even at 4 months, do not let the puppy go longer than 6 hours without a pee break:) during the initial training period.

Punishment is useless. Remember Mommy Dearest? The noisy can works, but it is not to scare the puppy, only to distract it from what is on its mind. Scoop it up, take it outside, and wait. Praise when it goes outside and praise when you are back inside. Anytime the puppy goes outside for any reason, even if you are playing or talking to neighbors, etc., take it back inside and praise it, then resume your outside activities.

Never take away water to reduce urination, unless you want to injure the growing kidneys. Always have a water source in the kennel. If the puppy plays in the water look at using a hanging bottle like a rabbit or gerbil setup. HTH

ncdogdoc said:
Skip the puppy pads, the dog gets too confused as where it should go. Feed on a specific schedule, always go out through the same door, use the same trigger word, go to the same part of the yard. Starting this late and with this breed it will take a long time. Be glad it is not a Lab, much larger puddles!!!

Using a kennel is a great idea. Keep it just a little larger than the puppy so it cannot urinate or defecate in one end and go to the other side to get away. Dogs are den animals, they like close surroundings, that is why so many bury themselves under the sheets. Leave the kennel open whenever you are home so the puppy can use it when it gets tired. Never, ever, use the kennel for time out. That is what God made bathrooms and laundry rooms for:D Even at 4 months, do not let the puppy go longer than 6 hours without a pee break:) during the initial training period.

Punishment is useless. Remember Mommy Dearest? The noisy can works, but it is not to scare the puppy, only to distract it from what is on its mind. Scoop it up, take it outside, and wait. Praise when it goes outside and praise when you are back inside. Anytime the puppy goes outside for any reason, even if you are playing or talking to neighbors, etc., take it back inside and praise it, then resume your outside activities.

Never take away water to reduce urination, unless you want to injure the growing kidneys. Always have a water source in the kennel. If the puppy plays in the water look at using a hanging bottle like a rabbit or gerbil setup. HTH

Great advice.

We also found crate traiing works extremely well for our Eng. Bulldog.

I agree with crate training. With my puppy I would set the kitchen microwave timer for 30 min after each feeding. When the timer would go off I would take the puppy outside to do his business. When he did what he was supposed to do he got lots of praise and a small treat. In about 2 weeks he was house broken. 11 years later my standard poodle still goes to the bathroom about 1/2 hour after he is done eating.
Good Luck
Wswen

Back