• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about auto repair billing. Not NSX

Frineds,

Just a question I would like some input on from you folks, or maybe someone in the repair business.

I took my car to an AC shop because I thought it was low on freon. The fine gentleman called me about an hour later and told me it was my compressor clutch. I said fine, how much? He said around $700, but he had to check on the price of the part and would get back to me. He told me it was gonna be like $600 and change. Good, do it.

Pick my car up, and look over the bill. Example of my bill.

Part $300
Labor $200
Freon $100
Diagnose of problem $65

Is that normal to charge an additional amount for the diagnose if I get the work done with him? I have never been charged for a diagnose if I had the work done there. I would have been happier if I had just been charged $265 labor instead.

Your thoughts? Am I just being a baby, or is this standard practice?

In my past life I worked as a service writer at a Honda and Toyota shop....... man what a thankless job. Anyways: Most shops will waive the diag fee if you have them perform the repair but not ALL shops. Part of the problem is that the tech who diag's the problem wants to be paid for his time / expertise and you can't really blame him. Some shops will pay him but not pass the costs along to the customer if he/she buys the actual repair. Hope this helps.

Part $300
Labor $200
Freon $100
Diagnose of problem $65

Is that normal to charge an additional amount for the diagnose if I get the work done with him? I have never been charged for a diagnose if I had the work done there. I would have been happier if I had just been charged $265 labor instead.

If you'd have no second thoughts about him dropping the $65.00 and charging $265.00 for the labor then what's the problem. He can break it down like he did or just give you a grand total. Some states have laws where you show each component of a service rendered. His business model is no different than going to a doctor. The doctor spends time with you to make a diagnosis and then charges you for the procedure and supplies if needed.

At the end of day if your AC works and the repair was up to your standards, does it really matter.

standard practice. what your getting at is a different way of writing up the receipt. 1st you need to find out what the problem is (diagnoses), 2nd you need to repair the problem (labor). so I could see some shops separating the 2 on the bill. I don't see "well if you want us to do the repair we'll waive the diag fee" going very far. sometimes diag takes a few hours of work to find the problem. who's gonna pay for that? not the shop. its not their fault your car broke.

Frineds,

Just a question I would like some input on from you folks, or maybe someone in the repair business.

I took my car to an AC shop because I thought it was low on freon. The fine gentleman called me about an hour later and told me it was my compressor clutch. I said fine, how much? He said around $700, but he had to check on the price of the part and would get back to me. He told me it was gonna be like $600 and change. Good, do it.

Pick my car up, and look over the bill. Example of my bill.

Part $300
Labor $200
Freon $100
Diagnose of problem $65

No, where I am...the $65 diagnostic fee is waived ( or actually applied towards the cost) if the work is performed. Now if the customer declines the work & pays the diagnostic fee, but returns within a month to have the work performed, the $65 is still applied toward the repair costs & would be deducted from the bill. The only thing in your situation is what would the total cost have been? Would the overall labor charge be $265 or $200 + $65 diag?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I am just used to it being waived. I guess the place may have one person figure out the problem and someone else does the work. Either way, I needed my air fixed, so....

thanks again

I've worked in the Automotive repair business now over 10 years. Honestly if someone says they are not charging you the the Diag fee are pulling your leg, and rolling it into the price. Like mentioned above the tech has to be paid for his time, our receipts just have all the labor rolled into one column (Ex. $265 not $200 labor + $65 Diag).

one thing to remember is that the "$65" fee is prob only for about 45 minutes of diag. what if the diag was 2hrs. they found out what the problem was. I don't care if you have that shop do the repair or another, you should still pay the diag. why would i find out whats wrong with your car only for you to take it to another shop or........ do it yourself?

Back