• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about fluids longevity

With spring (more or less) here, my NSX will finally be coming out of hibernation in the next few weeks. That means prepping her for driving, which this year mainly revolves around fluid changes.

While an oil change is an obvious must, I'm a bit less clear on the other essential fluids (coolant, transmission, brake, diff). Do these fluids deteriorate over time, or are change intervals based strictly on mileage driven?

For reference, I had my transmission fluid changed when I had my new clutch/flywheel installed. That was about 2 years ago, but I've only driven 3-4k miles since then. I already know this may be OCD/overkill, but should I consider changing the transmission fluid?

If you are using Honda coolant and driving those kind of miles, I would think it should be OK for 4 or 5 years. I'd do the brake fluid every 3 years as it will absorb moisture. I'd leave the transmission fluid as is for a couple more years. Not so sure on the diff. Depends somewhat how you drive it I guess. You're lucky if spring is more or less happening. Yesterday afternoon was really nice here. I just spent a couple of hours plowing the driveway from the snow and wind that happened last night however.

Back