• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about lavinova cores inside the intake

Because of my recent project I began thinking about why people haven't done this on the NSX.

On my supercharged CRX I had my ITR engine's intake manifold modified by a company down in Florida called LHT. They cut the manifold open and installed 3 Lavinova heat exchanger cores. I run water through these cores and basically have a air to water inter-cooler built into the intake. It's the only way to intercool a Jackson Racing supercharger. It's extremely effective, I run 9.5-10.0psi and even after 30 minutes on the track my IATs never rose above 160 degrees. In comparison a SC ITR engine running at that boost would almost definitely run above 220 and have to be tuned way more conservatively.

It just seems this would be perfect for those guys looking to intercool the Comptech kit but I have never heard of anyone trying it. Consequently these are the same cores and design that Chevy uses on the Cobalt SS as well.

Below are some shots of the intercooler/intake.

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6721.JPG

IMG_6722.JPG

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6724.JPG

Once installed it's very stealth, and I think it would look even less noticeable on a NSX.
IMG_6871.JPG

Anyone ever thought about going this route, or has anyone tried??

jadkar said:
Because of my recent project I began thinking about why people haven't done this on the NSX.

On my supercharged CRX I had my ITR engine's intake manifold modified by a company down in Florida called LHT. They cut the manifold open and installed 3 Lavinova heat exchanger cores. I run water through these cores and basically have a air to water inter-cooler built into the intake. It's the only way to intercool a Jackson Racing supercharger. It's extremely effective, I run 9.5-10.0psi and even after 30 minutes on the track my IATs never rose above 160 degrees. In comparison a SC ITR engine running at that boost would almost definitely run above 220 and have to be tuned way more conservatively.

It just seems this would be perfect for those guys looking to intercool the Comptech kit but I have never heard of anyone trying it. Consequently these are the same cores and design that Chevy uses on the Cobalt SS as well.

I have 2 four row Laminova ICs for my TT setup. I thought this would be ideal for the CTSC four years ago. I don't have an CTSC'd NSX, otherwise I would have done this long ago. BTW, can't really see clearly on your setup, but the cores/rows should be as close to each other as possible (ie, practically touching fins).

Best Regards,

Danny

^^

Cool, so I see you guys have thought of this. As far as not enough room in the intake manifold. I guess with my little 1.8 liter my CFM requirements are a lot lower than the NSXs. I should consider this when my engine is done since it's being bored and stroked to 2.1 liters. This also must be the reason why when we use this system we lose about 1.0 psi of boost.

For the space between the cores, I didn't install mine but I will query the shop that did and ask them.

jadkar said:
^^

Cool, so I see you guys have thought of this. As far as not enough room in the intake manifold. I guess with my little 1.8 liter my CFM requirements are a lot lower than the NSXs. I should consider this when my engine is done since it's being bored and stroked to 2.1 liters. This also must be the reason why when we use this system we lose about 1.0 psi of boost.

For the space between the cores, I didn't install mine but I will query the shop that did and ask them.

There is a spacer/block piece that sits between each sore/row and runs the length of each core. If you look from the end of the rows, the spacer looks like it is pinched in the middle and hugs each core on either side. This forces the airflow to travel through the fins for more efficiency. Flow and efficiency depends on the length and number of cores; typically you should see less than a 1 psi drop. My current setup includes:

4-core IC units x2
35 gpm Mezierre water pump
AN-16 lines
Fluidyne Scirrocco radiator
Reservoir tank

A similar setup using a Comptech CTSC manifold should work.

Regards,

Danny

Back