• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for all of you CTSC experts

I am looking to get my car on the dyno here at the end of this month.
I recently (within the last 3 weeks) had a new AutoRotor CTSC installed on my 91 nsx. I have the typical supporting mods, headers, exhaust, AIS, unifilter, and a BB throttle body.

I did not get new injectors or change out the fuel pump. My mechanic, Barn Man, installed the kit and said that everything was great with the car and felt very strong and smooth. I trust his opinion because he has installed a crap load of these kits.

My question is, when I go to the dyno to run the car and check the A/F ratio...if it is too rich, how to I adjust the FMU? Is there a screw on it? Is it on the top or bottom? If I need to lean it out, do I turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise.

From what I have read, that is pretty much all I can do, unless I decided to put on an AEM. Which, at this time, I do not have any plans for.

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Nathan

The instructions for adjusting the FMU are here:

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/FuelPreReg2005.pdf

there are only a few adjustments that can be made but, enough to do the jub as long as you are not looking for a perfectly flat AFR, keep in mind being a little on the rich side is not a bad thing. If you do this tune process in the heart of summer, you should make note of the settings and check them again when it is cold, to make sure that you are safe under year round weather conditions. One more thing, since you are not changing the fuel pump or injectors, you might want to think about gauges for fuel pressure and AFR.

Dave

The instructions for adjusting the FMU are here:

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/FuelPreReg2005.pdf

there are only a few adjustments that can be made but, enough to do the jub as long as you are not looking for a perfectly flat AFR, keep in mind being a little on the rich side is not a bad thing. If you do this tune process in the heart of summer, you should make note of the settings and check them again when it is cold, to make sure that you are safe under year round weather conditions. One more thing, since you are not changing the fuel pump or injectors, you might want to think about gauges for fuel pressure and AFR.

Dave

I definitely plan on getting boost and FP gauges. Once winter comes around I always pop my car back on the dyno for calibration. I used to own turbo cars before this NSX, and I always went to the dyno twice a year.

I am not looking for a flat AFR because I know that is not possible with just the FMU. I just want to be able to adjust it, if necessary, in case I am running pig rich at 10.5, etc. Basically, if I can get it around 11.4 then I am cool with that. 11.4 AFR has always been a good, safe, ratio.

NSX-TUNER - thanks for Shad's number. I will drop him a line.

Regards,
Nathan

Call Shad at Driving Ambition. He's the definitive expert.

916-861-0032

Well, I just got off the phone with Shad. Wow, I must say he is an extremely nice guy. He was very helpful. I honestly didnt think he would really speak to me given the fact that I didnt purchase anything from him, and that he is not tuning my car.

However, he answered all of my questions, and even offered up more of his long-term expert knowledge.

Thanks again for his number. Thumbs up!

np... btw, you may or may not have known, but Shad used to work at CT and was the principal behind the development of the SC kit...

Well, I just got off the phone with Shad. Wow, I must say he is an extremely nice guy. He was very helpful. I honestly didnt think he would really speak to me given the fact that I didnt purchase anything from him, and that he is not tuning my car.

However, he answered all of my questions, and even offered up more of his long-term expert knowledge.

Thanks again for his number. Thumbs up!

Shad is indeed very generous with his time, and all this at the expense of us locals who are waiting in queue to do all the track junkie mods that we need to keep up ............. :biggrin:

But really, if you and others are happy with "free" advice that you are receiving, while he will never ask, I am sure he will be very appreciative if a donation is made to his child's college fund ...... and I better tell him to open one ASAP :wink:

Not to change the subject, but has anyone not using an aftermarket ECU replaced the Comptech-supplied FPR with the Vortech Super FMU? It would appear to provide more latitude for adjustment. It seems, if memory serves, that the Vortech FMU may have been used with the Comptech Hi-Boost kit for the Whipple???

I would be interested in anyone's results in tuning AFR with the Vortech FMU.

early comptech sc kits ...say pre 01 used vortech fmu's... then comptech switched to their fmu. you can tell by the color of the fmu (one is red-comptech, one blue-vortec)

Back