• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for NSX-T owners

Hey all, I have an 05 NSX and recently I took it for an agressive drive through the canyons here in UTAH and while returning home I noticed that the top was creaking in a few places. Is this common as the car gets worn in from new, or should I have it looked at? I have driven the car since then and it hasnt made as much noise as it did out of the canyons but there are some light noises heard. I am also wondering if it might be a temperature thing since the weather is colder in this climate as opposed to Portland where I moved from. Any info would be apprecieated.

Silicon Spray!!!

Honda sells a great product called Shin Etsu grease. I know it's mentinoed in the owners manual for the S2K and if memory serves me, it's also mentioned in the owner's manual of the NSX-T. It's relatively cheap and in S. CA climate I find I only need to apply it once or maybe twice a year. It's kind of nasty stuff but it really brings the rubber trim on your windows and roof panel seals back to life and will get rid of any creakiness that you're experiencing.

Da Hapa said:
Honda sells a great product called Shin Etsu grease.

Is there a part number for this? If I walk into the dealer parts department will they know what I am talking about?

Motegi said:
Is there a part number for this? If I walk into the dealer parts department will they know what I am talking about?

I will have to check on this grease. I'ts unfortunate that it sounds like a common occurence. Is there any way to prevent it completley?

Mine does the same depending on weather... its just the rubber seals of the Targa rubbing because there is some movement. I don't think there is another way other than greasing it a bit once or twice a year... which is good maintenance on the seals anyway.

If you install the Type R chassis bars it will reduce the movement a bit but not remove it alltogether.

The part number for Shin-Etsu silicone grease is: 08798-9013. Any Acura dealer can get some for you.

My targa top used to squeak until I applied a fine layer of this grease to the rubber seals all around the top. Now there's no more squeak! It's great stuff.

Philippe

Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM

TURBO2GO said:
Mine does the same depending on weather... its just the rubber seals of the Targa rubbing because there is some movement. I don't think there is another way other than greasing it a bit once or twice a year... which is good maintenance on the seals anyway.

If you install the Type R chassis bars it will reduce the movement a bit but not remove it alltogether.

The Type R chassis bars are already on my mod list, so it's great to hear that will help. I will have to get the grease from Acura this week. Thanks for the part number pbnsx.

TURBO2GO said:

FWIW, I also have the Type R chassis bars on my NSX-T and I agree that they go a long way towards reducing cowl shake but your rubber seals will still dry out and keeping them properly lubed is the best way to protect your car and keep the squeaking at bay.

Da Hapa said:
FWIW, I also have the Type R chassis bars on my NSX-T and I agree that they go a long way towards reducing cowl shake but your rubber seals will still dry out and keeping them properly lubed is the best way to protect your car and keep the squeaking at bay.

Thank you all for the great info. I am going to get chapstick (lube) for the top and definatly do everything I can to keep the car in tip top shape. It's times like this where NSX prime is a very valuable resource. Thanks again :biggrin:

Anything you can do to get rid of the wind noise at speed? At about the 135-140 range, the wind buffeting on the targa top is almost unbearable.

SilverStone05 said:
Anything you can do to get rid of the wind noise at speed? At about the 135-140 range, the wind buffeting on the targa top is almost unbearable.

I don't think so - just a design problem with the Targa tops. Window alignment can be adjusted if it's loud at highway speeds though (need to have that done on my drivers side).

SilverStone05 said:
Stupid question but... top on or top off?

Top on, I've found that having the windows adjusted properly can and does make a huge difference even at speeds as low as 75mph.

Top off, you're stuck.

psbnsx said:
The part number for Shin-Etsu silicone grease is: 08798-9013. Any Acura dealer can get some for you.

My targa top used to squeak until I applied a fine layer of this grease to the rubber seals all around the top. Now there's no more squeak! It's great stuff.

Oh cool. I figured it was just something I had to live with. Calling Acura now :smile:

Back