• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for those with CTSC.

I am going back and forth about purchasing a CTSC. I am looking for good power gains, not astronomical numbers. The car is daily driven and may see the occasional track day. My question to those with the CTSC is this: are you running a standalone EMS or are you satisfied with the CT ACM.

Thanks.

I started driving a CTSC car about a month or two ago. My former car was a '97 fully stock. This one is a '00 with an early Whipple CTSC and some other mods (IHE and suspension).

I think the CTSC is pretty great for street driving. It does change the engine note substantially and I do miss the purity of the NA engine, but the torque makes up for it. I daily drive my car around the DC area, and therefore spend plenty of time in traffic. Whether because of that or despite it, I enjoy the greatly added grunt of the SC engine.

With my old car, I started to get into tracking. But in my fourth weekends to the track, I destroyed the car. It was massively stupid. So with this car I'm not planning to track it the same way. I do plan to track it to a certain extent, however, once the dust/budget settles, and that will run headlong into one of the more significant problems with the CTSX: heat. As Ryu will tell you, he has dealt with this using pre-intake water injection. From what I have read, that seems like a good approach but it is one that I will take only once I am on an FIC. Before that, there are too many variables that can overrun the OEM ECM. Some people use an intercooler but packaging can be challenging from what I understand. And it's expensive.

So my personal approach/feeling is that, for the street, I am happy with the CTSC and prefer it to the NA engine. For the track, I feel like it demands increased complexity but that the complexity may well be worth it. Having not gone down that path, I cannot speak with any semblance of authority.

Thanks for the response.

I think we all cried a little when we saw the pictures of that beautiful Spa wrecked at the track, and after all the trouble you had getting it to you! AAAHHH! Like many posters said before, just glad you are alright! Like you, I believe my track time will be limited so I am not too worried about heat soak.

I am also looking for owners that have an ODB1 car (mine is a 94) that are using the ACM from CT. It is my understanding that the ODB2 cars were required to run either a FI/C or a Stand Alone EMS when they did any kind of FI.

I am wondering if the ACM module is sufficient enough or do I need to go the AEM EMS 2 route?

Last edited:
The standard comptech fuel management is fine. I am sure you could get more power out of it and it MIGHT be safer with the AEM EMS, but its not worth the huge expense. I would stick with the CT setup. You can always add an EMS later if you are not happy.

For a standard CTSC. It fine the way it is. As Netviper stated if you went AEM then you're out of pocket the cost of the AEM, injectors and tuning for only about another 20-30HP. It wasn't worth the cost even though I had the injectors already.

For a standard CTSC. It fine the way it is. As Netviper stated if you went AEM then you're out of pocket the cost of the AEM, injectors and tuning for only about another 20-30HP. It wasn't worth the cost even though I had the injectors already.

Also a fuel pump. I will thirdly mention for street driving the CTSC is probably OK as is. But I would keep an eye on my A/F ratios just in case.

Folks,

I really appreciate the responses and info! I apologize, I forgot to mention that I am currently running a Prospeed Chipped ECU and RDX injectors, so I would need to go back to stock to run the ACM correct? After reading a lot of the posts, it would seem that a new fuel pump may be in order like Turbo suggested. Thank again for helping this possible FI newbie out with some basic questions!

Folks,

I really appreciate the responses and info! I apologize, I forgot to mention that I am currently running a Prospeed Chipped ECU and RDX injectors, so I would need to go back to stock to run the ACM correct? After reading a lot of the posts, it would seem that a new fuel pump may be in order like Turbo suggested. Thank again for helping this possible FI newbie out with some basic questions!

I don't think there has been a CTSC set up with your set up. You can be the first. Or remove all that and go back to stock. You have to decide if it is worth potential tuning issues and 20 HP for $1500 more. I wouldn't do it.

And I would upgrade the fuel pump for sure. My 2000 was running lean with the OEM pump.

I just installed two AEM AFR's to check each bank. Probably should have done this long ago.

I don't think there has been a CTSC set up with your set up. You can be the first. Or remove all that and go back to stock. You have to decide if it is worth potential tuning issues and 20 HP for $1500 more. I wouldn't do it.

And I would upgrade the fuel pump for sure. My 2000 was running lean with the OEM pump.

I thought RYU had the CTSC with the RDX injectors??? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read that somewhere?

I would assume that the RDX injector being big enough @ 410cc and I think 440cc@ 50psi would be sufficient to run the high boost version of the CTSC set-up no???

Last edited:
I thought RYU had the CTSC with the RDX injectors??? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read that somewhere?

I would assume that the RDX injector being big enough @ 410cc and I think 440cc@ 50psi would be sufficient to run the high boost version of the CTSC set-up no???

If you run high boost you will want electronic control of fueling. Either a piggyback for OBD1/2 or a standalone for OBD1.

Ahh.. I see makes sense now, crazy that the stock injectors are pressurized to over 100 or something psi right??

Yeah but they seem to do fine. It's not an "ideal" setup but it works. I think it's fine for what it is until you are ready to drop 15-16K on a different type of thing. And at that point my choice is no longer a blower. It is this:

66-mainlo.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh.. I see makes sense now, crazy that the stock injectors are pressurized to over 100 or something psi right??

Not all the time, they only ramp up when the engine is under load (the "boost-a-pump" increases voltage to fuel pump). They hang around 50-60psi normally. And AFR is around 10.5-11:1 WOT. Would be a good idea to send the injectors to get rebuilt and flow tested + new fuel filter just to make sure things are healthy. Also don't forget that you lose your check engine light once you go stand alone, so if a problem occurs you might not be aware of it (I got a high coolant temp CEL at the track and my needle didn't even show that it was hot)

Can I stay with the OEM clutch or do I need to upgrade. Also I thought I saw somewhere in a post by autowave (Dynomike) that there is a way to programme the CEL on the AEM series 2?

Back