• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

question for US owners

hi us owners/potential owners. I read recently that the 1990 and 91 JDM NSX's are exempt from US import legislation due to the 25 year vintage rules. Does this mean you can import a JDM spec NSX into the states and legally use on the road? Better yet a NSXR in a few years time.

as there are not many left in Japan, I wonder if it will push the price up at auction thus affecting other countries like new Zealand and Australia who can already buy from the Japanese market thus increasing the value of those already here.

cheers
gene

RHD LHD?
Aussies can't import them unless personal imports.

JDM is RHD of course, I cant imagine many LHD NSX's exist in Japan.
NZ can import NSX commercially under the 20 year exemption. Private use importers can get any NSX of any year under the Special Interest Exemption.

My point is that if the US becomes a consumer of the 2nd hand JDM auctions then it will serve current NSX, GTR, Supra, 180sx, 200sx etc owners well by pushing the auction prices up thus increasing the value of already complied and road legal versions. Currently the championship white 5 speed NSX's often reach 100,000NZD at auction which puts them out of reach for most people.

Regards
Gene

Just saw the latest Motor Week on Velocity. They introduced a US company (can't remember the city) that is importing JDM autos to the US. GTRs were featured. I didn't see any NSXs. They specialize in JDM engines/parts also. Apparently the buy is quite simple, as they do all the transfer paperwork. Just pay and title in your state.

Just saw the latest Motor Week on Velocity. They introduced a US company (can't remember the city) that is importing JDM autos to the US. GTRs were featured. I didn't see any NSXs. They specialize in JDM engines/parts also. Apparently the buy is quite simple, as they do all the transfer paperwork. Just pay and title in your state.

Yeah. I saw the same thing. They seemed to be very reasonable and legit. Called Japanese Classics. Here is a link of the show.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365480550/

hi us owners/potential owners. I read recently that the 1990 and 91 JDM NSX's are exempt from US import legislation due to the 25 year vintage rules. Does this mean you can import a JDM spec NSX into the states and legally use on the road? Better yet a NSXR in a few years time.

as there are not many left in Japan, I wonder if it will push the price up at auction thus affecting other countries like new Zealand and Australia who can already buy from the Japanese market thus increasing the value of those already here.

cheers
gene

Hi Gene,

They're not legal for import yet, not until they hit the 25 year mark (to the month) which the very first will hit this September and I haven't seen a single 9/90 or 10/90 NSX for sale. If it's anything like the GTR market, you can expect a significant bump. You could get a very nice 1989 Skyline GT-R in Japan in 2013 for around $10,000 USD, but you're lucky to find that same car for $15,000 now, and most US import companies will charge low to mid 20s after they land the car.

The thing is, I don't think the Japanese NSX market will be like the GTR market at all. It's in another realm. There were auction GTRs (rough cars) going for $4000-5000 back in 2013, but even early NSXs still command mid 20s at auction. Japanese dealer cars are often on par with or higher than the prices of commensurate US cars. The GTR was never sold in the US, but the NSX was (slightly more of them than Japan) and the differences are actually quite few, so the desire to purchase a Japanese car rather than the same US car boils down to "well, I'll pay more just because I want it" rather than there being a real advantage. Rarity and uniqueness will motivate some, but not all. I say that as I'm about to purchase a 1990 in Japan for about the same price as I would pay in the US, and I'll be here for another 2 years with it or I would have waited and bought an Acura.

So, having said all that, I don't think there will be a significant bump in Japanese auction or dealer prices. They're already high enough to price most Americans already living in Japan out of the market and dissuade potential US import buyers from dropping extra money for essentially the same car they could find in the US (with records). Part of that I think is also due to rarity. Nissan made 1000 R32 GT-Rs per month for at least the first two years of production, and 40,000 total. That's over twice as many as there are NSXs worldwide for all years of production. Every month from August last year into this year there were scores of GTRs riding on boats across the Pacific, and everyone wanted one. I do think there will be some, but I don't think it will be on that scale, and because of that I don't think there will be a huge "shock" in the greater Japanese used car market.

Left hook examples don't come up often in japan, there is one for sale this week http://japautoauctions.com/aj-0owL40I7kL3AExQ.htm

Login details:
Username: primensx
Password: primensx

There's actually more Acuras brought back to Japan than you might think, and the funny thing that I've noticed is that they typically command lower prices than their Honda badged brothers. I'm guessing it's because interested parties in Japan have no intention of being "unique" with a LHD Honda (you'll see a ton of Mercedes, Porsche, etc in LHD).

Genuine NA1 NSXR http://japautoauctions.com/aj-326jofkIXPGUkFq.htm

Buy now, then wait 3 years

If it sells for 9-10mil yen plus freight, duty etc you might just have a true $100000 NSX

Check out the 02+ (2001 Japanese) Type Rs. They will command close to $300,000.

Having said all of that above, the Type R may be a huge caveat since the US never received the model. Even being a very small number of them, I do think several US buyers will grit their teeth and take the plunge which may skyrocket the prices on these as Japanese dealers try to keep them domestic to Japan (but everyone has their price).

Back