• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question on OEM clutch kit install-Crank Pin?

I'm about to mount the flywheel back on the crank when I came across this on page 12-19.

"4. Align the hole in the flywheel with the crankshaft dowel pin and install the flywheel. Install the bolts finger tight."

While the crank has a hole that would accept a pin (or dowel), there wasn't one when I pulled the old flywheel off. Additionally, neither the new flywheel or the old one has a hole for a pin. I also can't find a crank pin in any parts diagram.

So does it matter how I align the flywheel on the crank?

If it doesn't matter, were these cars originally equipped with a crank pin, and then later it was no longer necessary?

IMG_9744.jpg
IMG_4152.jpg

I believe the holes are asymmetrical and only bolt up in one position. At least that is what I discovered....not that I exhausted every possiblity.

Also it seems to me that the crank is internally balanced...so I'm not sure rotational position matters as long as each component is balanced. Of course, Honda is conservative and makes sure everything is lined up regardless.

I did not have a pin on the back of the flywheel and could have mounted it in any way on the crankshaft hub.

BTW: not sure if you removed all of residuals on that hub in the pic...

After replacing more clutches then I can count, never have I seen a dowel pin:).

Interestingly in the 97-05 manual it states the same thing!!

HTH,
LarryB

Additional question-is blue loctite necessary/recommended on the crank bolts?

I know on some makes it is on there from the factory, but there is nothing in the FSM about it.

Thanks Larry! Good enough for me.

Flywheel is on (used an allen key instead of ring gear holder 07LAB-PV00100). The triangular alignment marks on the flywheel, midplate and pressure plate are clear, but I can't find any index marks on the clutch disks. Section 12-20 says they should be there so you can align the disks 180 degrees off of each other.

ClutchAlignment.png

There are words on the disks that describe which way the disks should face (transmission side, flywheel side, etc), a couple of inspector's paint marks, but no index marks. Is this another "oops" in the FSM, or are the white paint marks the ones that the FSM is talking about?

ClutchDisk.jpg

Last edited:
With the standard NSX, it doesn't really matter but I prefer pointing the flywheel marker towards the centre of the Rear cyl head with the crank pulley white marker lined up against the TDC marker on the TB lower cover.

And yes, that white dot like paint is the marker on both the 1st and 2nd friction discs.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz!

Clutch is on and initialized, hope to get gearbox on tomorrow.

Back