• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions about buying a totaled car back from insurance

I was recently in an accident where I was hit head on by another driver and am now in the process of handling the insurance stuff. The car was written off as a total loss and now I’m being given the option to buy it back. I was thinking I should to better recoup what I’ve put into it and because working on / modifying the car was always an enjoyable way to learn more about its design so why not taking it apart. I’ve always wanted to look more closely at how the car was built but never had the guts to take too many things apart so this could be an appropriate last hurrah with the car (may be moving into SF where buying another wouldn’t be practical). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on how the parting out process worked from others that’ve been through it.

Some details:
- The car doesn’t run anymore, the radiator is gone and the car doesn’t get any power (although I’m not sure if the electrical system is damaged or if the battery was simply disconnected from the impact because one of my terminals was a bit loose)
- I’m not sure what the full extend of the damage is other than from the outside the bumper, hood, front quarter panels, and headlights are gone. I believe the damage doesn’t go much beyond the radiator (likely frame rail damage aside)

Questions:
- Are there any general things I should know about this process?
- How/where does one part out a car? Do you have a shop do it on your behalf or by yourself typically? I’m fine taking apart most parts of the car myself except the engine which is the most valuable part I’m assuming
- Does it make sense to take the car to a shop to have its engine removed and then take the car to my house to disassemble everything else or vice versa?
- I figured I’d strip out the most valuable parts and leave the rest; is there a place that would want the remains of the car? I just want to make sure at any point I can “abort” and not be stuck with a rather large object nobody wants if it ends up taking too long.
- I’m assuming towing by flatbed is the only feasible transportation method so suspension and wheels can’t come off until the very end?
- How do you reasonably ship such large items? I can’t imagine mailing most of these parts across the country for a reasonable price.
- Are there any places in the Bay Area that I could/should contact?

Thanks everyone in advance for the feedback.

Last edited:
what car?

since you are typing I'm assuming you were not seriously hurt.It would be great at some point for us to see the damage and correlate that with how well the car protected you.It would seem that despite its small size and very little stuff in front of the driver most folks walk away from shunts.Also was your spare tire in place?Did the airbag go off? If the engine and trannie are unscathed those alone would net you close to 6-8k. Guys who do rebuilds like shawn and a few others might be interested in parts.

Whats the mileage? A higher mileage engine/trans will not bring the $$ you may hope for. Hows the interior? Are the doors fenders dented/dinged up. Lots to consider but if you get it cheap enough it could bring a few $$. But you gotta remember, every part you sell must be packaged and shipped. That's quite a task itself.

I think what you have to look at is will you recoup the money you invest in the car buying it back from the insurance? There is a treasure trove of parts that you could sell from the smallest nuts and bolts to every part of the engine. It could be a pretty rewarding process because you'll be able to dissect the NSX and you won't have to put anything back together. I'd be curious to see some pictures of the car. Good luck.

I'm fine aside from a rather sore neck and a bruise from the seat belt; the motorcyclist that crossed into my lane (going the opposite direction) was unfortunately not as lucky. I suspect the only reason why I'm still alive is because it was a motorcycle and not a car that hit me. I'm not sure how much of the details I should be posting here (I only wonder since I've seen people post stuff then delete it shortly after)? I don't mind posting otherwise.

70k miles, just had the timing belt taken care of a few months ago. Clutch was done 10,000 miles ago as well. The interior is in pretty good condition, the panels are all unmodified and what not as well.

Will post more later when I get a chance.

Unfortunate to hear about your story but good to hear that you are okay after everything. If you ever decide to walk away from the car and not buy it back, please leave a record. It would be nice for other future owners to know more about the car, pictures , vin# , etc.

70k miles that's all the info you can give us?

I have a wrecked NSX..........

how about

I have a 2002 red with OEM rims, stock engine with 70 miles. 3rd owner, mint interior, Etc.

we cant read people freaking minds

want an Opinion give some info we can use to give you A VALID answer

if you purchased the car and its a 1991, black, turbo or supercharged, aftermarket rims, and the interior is shot and your the 15th owner then its worth nothing set it on fire.

Last edited:
I went through the process (front end damage).
If you have the space and are so inclined, you can usually buy what's left of the car much cheaper than the sum of its parts.
Rebuild or part out. I can tell you that parts are expensive. I paid twice as much for the front clip then I did for the salvaged car (which was untouched from the spare tire aft).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry my last post was brief because I was replying while on the move.

1991 Black/black, manual transmission, 3rd owner (since 2003), 70k miles

Maintenance is up to date (just did the timing belt again after ~10k miles because of age, oil every year/~500 miles), the interior is in good shape (seats have been conditioned with leatherique, I'm very careful about getting in/out so I don't wear the bolsters, they're not cracked, other panels are mostly in great condition with the exception of some minor bubbling on some of the silver trim and sun visors). The exterior was in good shape as well, the car is stored in a garage and I'm careful about cleaning/detailing so swirl marks are pretty minimal (considering its black).

Mods:
OZ Superleggera wheels (17/18) with brand new Direzza Z2 tires, BC Racing suspension + swift springs, comp tech sway bars, RDX injectors, s2000 steering wheel, DF intake scoop, carbotech ax6 pads, an aftermarket stereo (no modifications to interior panels)

I'll send you a PM with photos Shawn

Sounds like a lot of good stuff coming up FS. :wink:
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry my last post was brief because I was replying while on the move.

1991 Black/black, manual transmission, 3rd owner (since 2003), 70k miles

Maintenance is up to date (just did the timing belt again after ~10k miles because of age, oil every year/~500 miles), the interior is in good shape (seats have been conditioned with leatherique, I'm very careful about getting in/out so I don't wear the bolsters, they're not cracked, other panels are mostly in great condition with the exception of some minor bubbling on some of the silver trim and sun visors). The exterior was in good shape as well, the car is stored in a garage and I'm careful about cleaning/detailing so swirl marks are pretty minimal (considering its black).

Mods:
OZ Superleggera wheels (17/18) with brand new Direzza Z2 tires, BC Racing suspension + swift springs, comp tech sway bars, RDX injectors, s2000 steering wheel, DF intake scoop, carbotech ax6 pads, an aftermarket stereo (no modifications to interior panels)

I'll send you a PM with photos Shawn

Back