• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions regarding aftermarket speaker upgrade*

Ira

Experienced Member
I realize over the years most of these questions have been covered. I tried searching with different keywords and phrases but was unable to find what I was looking for, so thought I'd just ask...

In regards to swapping out the OEM speakers for aftermarket, the OEM wire harness connector has positive, negative, power and ground to the speaker itself, correct?

I'm trying to decide if I can use the OEM speaker wire, minus the power and ground obviously, to the new speaker instead of trying to fish new speaker wire from the new amplifier to the door panel.

*I have an aftermarket head unit, will be running a small 2 channel amplifier to the doors for use with aftermarket speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggesting that link. I sifted through it pretty well, it appears the speaker wires themselves are commonly used to power aftermarket speakers. I'll head that route, as long as the wattage isn't too heavy from the new amplifier, I would imagine they would be able to handle the load.

You can run speakers on some tiny wire if they're hooked to just headunit power. Pioneer ships their harnesses with like 20ga or so speaker wire, IIRC the signal wires in our cars are about 18ga. I'd be comfortable with the 15-20watts a headunit outputs onto that.

If you're feeling spicy you can pull wire into the doors to avoid cutting into the factory stuff at the plug... but it really really blows to do. Took me the better part of an evening to do both doors in mine.

If you're feeling spicy you can pull wire into the doors to avoid cutting into the factory stuff at the plug... but it really really blows to do. Took me the better part of an evening to do both doors in mine.

This is exactly what I was expecting... A pain the ass. Thanks for the confirmation :)

I'm thinking I'm going to use butt connectors to the speaker wire harness to avoid cutting.

Back