• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quick electronics/powersource question...

So I have an LED light source that runs off a 9v battery. The thing is I want to put that light in my car and power it via cig lighter. cuttin and splicing is easy, but my question is, will the light fry itself because its running off of 12v now instead of 9?

I was thinking of possibly wiring a resistor in there, but im not sure what ohm resistor I should get. all i remember from circuits class is v=I/r. No idea what the current is. anyway, any help would be good.

Thanx in advance

Last edited:
Yes, 12 V can kill your LED. You can use a resistor if you know the Ampere (or better milliAmpere) of your LED. You can calculate it if you know the Watt number or you can measure it with a Multimeter. Example for a 50 mA LED:
12-9=3
3 divided through A (0,05)= 60 Ohm for the resistor.

I am sure there is resistor in series with the LED already. The question is at 12-14 volts will the current be to much for the LED. Considering a 9 volt battery can not supply much current the resistor has a large value already. I would think that it would work fine on 12 volts. Do you have way to measure the current with the 9 volt?

Briank said:
I am sure there is resistor in series with the LED already. The question is at 12-14 volts will the current be to much for the LED. Considering a 9 volt battery can not supply much current the resistor has a large value already. I would think that it would work fine on 12 volts....
I agree

Back