• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

quick price-check on some clutch/gearing work

David McDavid Acura quoted me $1700 for the following job (only labor, I have all parts) :

- install JDM short gears
- install aftermarket clutch, t/o bearings, & pilot
- install aftermarket brake pads
- bleed/replace brake, ALB, & tranny fluids

Just wondering if I'm getting shafted or not. Seems a little high to me.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars

I think you are. 1100$ roughly sounds about right.
10 hours gears
since the tranny is out the clutch is right there MAX 2 hours including intial
pads one hour
abs and break bleed max 2 hours
misc 2 hours just for the hell of it.
total 15 hours at 75 an hour nsxca discount included to get the 75 hour rate 1125.00

just my opinion..its what i would get charged probably less at my dealer
david
ps looks like their 600 high or somebody is high,also since your doing the tranny and the labor would be the same why not get your r&p done?

[This message has been edited by BadCarma (edited 12 September 2002).]

Originally posted by BadCarma:
also since your doing the tranny and the labor would be the same why not get your r&p done?

First, just wanted to say thx for the quick & helpful reply.

Next, I really did want the OEM 4.23 R&P, but it only fits '91-'94 models. And after much debate, I decided against the 4.55 because of the noise complaints and money. (I'm trying to save up for new wheels.)

------------------

Sort of off topic...

The "noise complaints" are a thing of the past. The gears sold now have micro channels like the OE gears that properly lube the gears. Hvae had 3 sets of gears (US, NSX-R, and Comptech) and there have been no differences in sound.

Mounting the 4.23 in a 95 and 96 is possible, however, you'll need an early differential or aftermarket unit from ATS.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

I would give Tyrone a call. He was the former NSX tech at McDavid and has his own shop now in Round Rock. He builds a lot of engine civic, etc and is very knowledgeable. I had my 90K service/valve job/AC retro fit done by him. Shoot me an email if you want anymore information.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Originally posted by NormRD:
I would give Tyrone a call.

I did initially give Tyrone a call. But he didn't return my estimate request call until late today (2 days later) and my car was already docked at the dealership by then.

Perhaps I'll hook up with him for my next round of mods.

------------------

Yeah, that guy is always busy, but he did get my car in and out fast. Since it is a small shop the car doesn't end up sitting around till then can get to it.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Back