• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R&P OS Giken 4.44 vs NSX-R 4,23

Hello again!

Please advice what final drive (R&P) is better:
OS Giken 4,44 together with differential (a must - supplied only alltogether)
or
NSX-R 4,23 with stock differential

I will drive it on 19'' rear wheels - complete specification of the Vehicle - look at profile.

During winter planning to install Compech supercharger + AEM ECU.

Pleased to hear

The 4.23 is as high as I would go esp if you are planning on adding the CTSC.

4.44 makes for very high RPM highway speeds.

but this is just my opinion based on driving both set ups.

The 4.23 is as high as I would go esp if you are planning on adding the CTSC.

4.44 makes for very high RPM highway speeds.

but this is just my opinion based on driving both set ups.

Thanks, appreciate it!
could you give more in detals, please - what speed @ rpm?

At the moment with 19'' rear wheel 5th gear does not accelerate my car at all. What was your rear wheel size when you drove both setups?

At 8000 rpm in top gear with a five speed transmission (0.771 gear ratio), your car would be travelling the following speeds if the tires had zero wear and zero slip:

4.062 stock final drive
225/50 16 304 km/h
265/30 18 310 km/h
285/30 19 315 km/h

4.23 NSX-R final drive
225/50 16 292 km/h
265/30 18 297 km/h
285/30 19 302 km/h

4.44 OS Giken final drive
225/50 16 278 km/h
265/30 18 283 km/h
285/30 19 288 km/h

I have a 4.23 final drive with the CTSC. The 4.23 does make a huge difference and is not too aggressive. I was thinking about the OS Giken, but the CTSC will make up the difference easily.

From what I hear, the 4.23 makes a great compromise all around.
If you have 19's your gear ratio drops anyway, and I think with 4.23 it will be like having 17's stock, but with more tire.

I debated this a long time, and I've agreed that when the $$ is there, I'll get the 4.23 :)

At 8000 rpm in top gear with a five speed transmission (0.771 gear ratio), your car would be travelling the following speeds if the tires had zero wear and zero slip:

Thanks for comprehesive replay. I have ordered OS Giken already, but now I will think it again and probably will reconsider for NSX-R. What is with acceleration - it should be vice versa? the bigger final gear ratio the better is acceleration?

From what I hear, the 4.23 makes a great compromise all around.
If you have 19's your gear ratio drops anyway, and I think with 4.23 it will be like having 17's stock, but with more tire.

I debated this a long time, and I've agreed that when the $$ is there, I'll get the 4.23 :)

But if $$ is not a question you'd prefer 4,44 + differential? How much are you driving on high speed to care for 20 km/h?

Do you track the car?

If not than you won't like the OS Giken. It will make noise going around a corner at slow speed on the street.

If you track the car than you will Love the OS Giken.

I have one. I like it!

Later,
Don

Do you track the car?

If not than you won't like the OS Giken. It will make noise going around a corner at slow speed on the street.

If you track the car than you will Love the OS Giken.

I have one. I like it!

Later,
Don

Thanks, is that noise a real noise?
I do not track the car since no where, but would love to if finally they will open our Nevsky ring...

I do not track the car since no where, but would love to if finally they will open our Nevsky ring...
hey, I have NSX-R 4.23 I was gonna install but I found a trans with it already so I'll sell it for $450 if you want.

hey, I have NSX-R 4.23 I was gonna install but I found a trans with it already so I'll sell it for $450 if you want.

If you go with a NSX-R 4.23 for 5 or 6 speed, it will require a differential swap from 91-94 NSX.

I have a 91-94 differential for sale PM me if you are interested.

It seems to me you are more into show-boating than the die hard track guys :)

If that's the case, I'd really say stick with the 4.23 b/c of noise + better all around gearing.

With the 4.44, you'll be rowing through gears all the time.

Thank you all, guys, I think I will buy both of them.

I'm not trackin her - but all the way driving very agressive. Weekends I go on 1/4 mile.

During winter planning to install Compech supercharger + AEM ECU.

IMO I would just do a 6 speed upgrade and a Comptech lockout box. I would also just get the OEM NA2 clutch (single disk).

I have a Comptech Supercharger with a 6 speed and 4.23, IMO I think the gears are to short with the supercharger.

IMO I would just do a 6 speed upgrade and a Comptech lockout box. I would also just get the OEM NA2 clutch (single disk).

I have a Comptech Supercharger with a 6 speed and 4.23, IMO I think the gears are to short with the supercharger.

thanks, what rear wheels size you run your NSX?

i have the the nsx-r 4.23 on my 91 6spd conversion and its very quick
double disc clutch with tilton flywheel.
18/19in wheels staggered set up

something i found out.
i have the comptech short shifter and it made getting into reverse difficult.
so no need for a lockout box.

when i had the 5spd, it made the 5th and Reverse hard to push over.
but now with the 6spd tranny, 5 & 6 is easy now, just reverse requires extra muscle.

i also driven the 5speed short gears with 4.23
very quick, revs like a superbike and is extremely fast

but the best was the os giken 4.4!!!
no extra noise at all

Last edited:
i

Thats how I roll, throw the CTSC/CT headers intake and exhaust into the mix and you got one fun ride:biggrin: All Comptech, all the time:wink:

i have the the nsx-r 4.23 on my 91 6spd conversion and its very quick
double disc clutch with tilton flywheel.
18/19in wheels staggered set up

something i found out.
i have the comptech short shifter and it made getting into reverse difficult.
so no need for a lockout box.

when i had the 5spd, it made the 5th and Reverse hard to push over.
but now with the 6spd tranny, 5 & 6 is easy now, just reverse requires extra muscle.

but the best was the os giken 4.4!!!
no extra noise at all

So, Am I right that you vote for OS Giken 4,44?

Keep the 4.44 and 5 speed.......adding a lighter flywheel, clutch and short gears will finish it in one shot.

I have driven a set up like that with the 3.8L stroker and it revs up great. The OS Giken will make noise in the beginning when breaking in, after a whiles when it breaks in it will make less noise and eventually you won't hear it that much anymore.

Ditch the 19s and stick with 18s in the rear......you will notice a difference.

17, 18s is the way to go.....throw on the 18, 19s when you want to do a show or something.

Keep the 4.44 and 5 speed.......adding a lighter flywheel, clutch and short gears will finish it in one shot.

I have driven a set up like that with the 3.8L stroker and it revs up great. The OS Giken will make noise in the beginning when breaking in, after a whiles when it breaks in it will make less noise and eventually you won't hear it that much anymore.

Ditch the 19s and stick with 18s in the rear......you will notice a difference.

17, 18s is the way to go.....throw on the 18, 19s when you want to do a show or something.

Eddiy, the same way I'm going. HRE 18/19 for the show and Rays TE37 17/18 for the go. Ordered a UL flywheel and OS giken 4,44. Please do not forget to offer me, Ya know what, in Orange County I'm firm and awaiting yours.

Back