R8 or i8?

I know they are very different cars, but would you prefer a BMW i8 or a lightly used, manual Audi R8 V10 coupe? It would be for short-term (1-2 yr) ownership and fitted for winter tires for all-season use. I know a fair bit about the R8 but not much at all about the i8 other than it's eye-popping (to me, at least). Here's my breakdown and would be interested in overall opinions on what way to go:

Looks: i8 - they both look good to me, but i8 is next level with the doors and styling. The R8 is a bit dated but still has the exotic feel. But on occasion and from certain angles looks like a giant TT.

Performance: R8 - actually I haven't compared the specs in detail but I think R8 should have the clear edge.

Uniqueness/Wow Factor: i8 - still fresh and uncommon. I know some don't care about this, but it's one of the reasons I like NSX >>>> Vette/Porsche

Fun Factor: R8 - gated-shifter, V10 should be an NSX-type feel only with more power and modernity. Might be the last of the fun analog cars.

Cost: R8 - I'm finding lightly used R8s to be fairly cheaper than available i8s

Usability: i8 - rear seats would allow cruising with little kids

Winter Use - ? Currently using RWD E46 and with snow tires it's a boss. I'm assuming both should be at least as good as they are AWD. I know they're low and it might be blasphemous, but I don't mind using the car as a snowplow (not keeping forever)

Third option of course, would be to just hold pat for the Gen 2 NSX but it seems like it may be out of price range, and limited availability may make obtaining one a non-starter. Have waited long enough anyways and can always be gotten in Year 2 or 3.

Last edited:
Why are you buying any of these again? Because when I see 1-2y timespan I can't stop but think of depreciation i8 will take. R8 especially V10 manual on the other hand...

Around where I live there are R8, F cars, P cars, L cars, i8, etc.

From what I have noticed, no one even seems to turn their head on a R8 or i8.... or any car that isn't a hyper car or has a MASSIVE spoiler and other "track-cladding".

I think all of the high tech $$$$ made people desensitized.

From what I have noticed, no one even seems to turn their head on a R8 or i8.... or any car that isn't a hyper car or has a MASSIVE spoiler and other "track-cladding".

True. Except NSX ;)

Yeah I've lived in SoCal, Bay Area, and South Beach so I'm well aware of the phenomena. That still doesn't answer my question: R8 or i8? I'm not in the market for a 918 or P1.

R8 without a doubt, but honetly I'd rather have a 991 Turbo. I hate that i8 and think its super ugly. Nothing stylish or artistic IMO

One vote for the i8. I've sat in both but driven neither. But the i8 truly seems different from anything else out there. And it would be cool to have owned a "gen 1" version. FWIW, I think BMW waayyyy underpriced the i8. If you get one for sticker or below, it might not depreciate much. I'd imagine the next gen will cost considerably more.

- - - Updated - - -

One vote for the i8. I've sat in both but driven neither. But the i8 truly seems different from anything else out there. And it would be cool to have owned a "gen 1" version. FWIW, I think BMW waayyyy underpriced the i8. If you get one for sticker or below, it might not depreciate much. I'd imagine the next gen will cost considerably more.

My dealer had 15 pre-orders and has only been able to fill 8 so far.

My dealer had 15 pre-orders and has only been able to fill 8 so far.

Sticker is $136k without options, they sell for much less than that on Ebay. They recently featured one on "Whats my car worth", MSRP was like $165k and if I recall it sold for $125k. Not ultra hot merchandise as expected.

Ozone if it's me I go with R-8 V-10 six speed.

Strap a Larini exhaust on it (like fellow Michigander "Jorligan") and hold on :biggrin:

The problem with the R8 is it has a better looking cousin the Gallardo. If you are shopping V10's just get a G. If not, I would go with the I8 as 1-2 years passes quickly and it is a more "interesting" car for short term ownership.

The problem with the R8 is it has a better looking cousin the Gallardo. If you are shopping V10's just get a G. If not, I would go with the I8 as 1-2 years passes quickly and it is a more "interesting" car for short term ownership.
Arron, for the most part, I love your taste in cars, but between the R8 and the Gallardo, I think that the R8 is the better looking car!!!

Arron, for the most part, I love your taste in cars, but between the R8 and the Gallardo, I think that the R8 is the better looking car!!!

Not even close, R8 is much better looking.

Not even close, R8 is much better looking.

R8 rear is better. Front is like a TT so Gallardo is better.

Only on Prime would three people in a row pick a large TT over a G. I give Bats a pass as he has a tendency to say down if I say up. But Roger and Mike you guys need to hit the optometrist ASAP. I fear with as poor of vision as you gents have you might walk into oncoming traffic. :tongue: In person the R8 & G are not in the same league.

Last edited:
I meant R8 over i8, G over R8 of course but not a no brainer. Whats wrong with the TT? Happen to think the TT-RS is one of the most amazing cars produced in recent years.

I had a family member thinking of an i8 a few months back, but the lack of "parking lot practicality" and they way idiot drivers are nowadays in parking lots, this alone made him choose elsewhere. i8's are horrible in parking lots with the ways the doors swing out. You may not be able to get 'into' your car if someone parks close to you and its a tight spot.

Thank's for everybody's input. On the G vs R8:

1) G is a lot more $
2) No local Lambo servicing
3) G's haven't aged well - especially the base versions
4) G manuals rare

I meant R8 over i8, G over R8 of course but not a no brainer. Whats wrong with the TT? Happen to think the TT-RS is one of the most amazing cars produced in recent years.

Nothing is "wrong" with a TT in the same way that for the dollar the new Miata is an amazing car. However, when you start paying near exotic money I would rather have a more aggressive look. All personal preference.

Thank's for everybody's input. On the G vs R8:

1) G is a lot more $
2) No local Lambo servicing
3) G's haven't aged well - especially the base versions
4) G manuals rare

Fare enough, how about a GTR if you are thinking about winter duty?

I've had a few R8's and NEVER even considered the i8. It's not even a comparison. To me the i8 is a glorified Prius hybrid. The only 2 things the i8 has is those scissor doors and tiny rear seats.

Nothing is "wrong" with a TT in the same way that for the dollar the new Miata is an amazing car. However, when you start paying near exotic money I would rather have a more aggressive look. All personal preference.

Fare enough, how about a GTR if you are thinking about winter duty?

That's a good idea--thought about one last year but wife wanted me to get something more exotic. But I think GTR might be a reasonable trade-off.

You haven't mentioned a very important criteria. What do you plan to use it for?

Wknd toy? Daily commuter? Both?

Are you a nerd/geek or does the sound of aa slow shifting manual V10 give you wood?

I8 vs R8 vs GTR vs 911TT vs G vs AMG GT vs Tesla P80d.

All very different and each fills a certain spectrum better.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as an example... Larry Ellison owns virtually every super car on the planet but he drives his i8 almost everyday according to my buddies at Oracle HQ.

Back