• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RA-1 as daily driver?

I am looking for some better traction than my current falken 615's on my daily driver. I put about 10,000 miles per year on my car. I have a couple questions for those with experience with these tires.
1. Are they useless on wet pavement.?
2. How many miles can I expect to get out of them driven only on the street(albeit aggressively)?
3. Does it even make sense to consider these for daily driving? I have about 575 whp and spend too much time cracking the tires loose.
4. The other concern is if my tires stop spinning will I start breaking other stuff..tranny, drive shaft etc....
5. how are they noise wise, do alot of highway and do not want drone
thanks for any/all help
woody

Last edited:
If you lived in Arizona I would say give em a try ,but in the North /midwest you will still have issues.R compound will still be like any good summer tire until you heat them up then they excell,but a tire on the highway is not getting hot.They don't like cold or wet pavement.If you don't shave them and leave em 6-8 22th you will still hydroplane at 70-75 mph.When it is warm out they will pick up every nits and grizzle on the road so if you have "dirty" roads you spend your time wincing as you listen to marbles bouncing all over your wheel wells and fender surround.

Last edited:
1. Are they useless on wet pavement.?
2. How many miles can I expect to get out of them driven only on the street(albeit aggressively)?
3. Does it even make sense to consider these for daily driving? I have about 575 whp and spend too much time cracking the tires loose.
4. The other concern is if my tires stop spinning will I start breaking other stuff..tranny, drive shaft etc....
5. how are they noise wise, do alot of highway and do not want drone
thanks for any/all help
woody

1. Yes, unless at full tread.
2. Couple thousand at best and less if driven aggressively. On the track, I can only get a couple of hundred before they're wore out. On the street, I'd think that the mileage would be much better but certainly as good as a made for the street tire.
3. I know of some guys that do it. I think they're crazy. ;) But money is no object for them and they all have over 500rwtq.
4. IMHO, you'd rather have the tires be the weak link and let them spin as opposed to the tires being so sticky that other factors of your car become the weak link.
5. Noise wise they can be a bit perturbing. I don't you think you want to take clients/dates out with them on.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
This is probably spawned from our discussion earlier so I'll add some additional thoughts. The RA1's aren't that bad in the wet (Factor X sometimes use them as their rain tires) but you'll need to be somewhat more cautious with them when it's raining. There is no noticeable increase in road noise that I noticed from my S03's and with a turbo, I bet your engine noise will be more noticeable then the tires.

The best analogy I can give you is actually a comparo with your turbo. The RA1's are like the turbo. Do you need to be more responsible and cognizant of the additional power on the streets? Yup. It's not like with 500+ whp you are flooring it and burning out at each light right? Well the same goes for the tires. If you drive sensibly and keep in mind what kind of power you are running and what kind of tires you are on, you should be fine. One could argue that if anything, the RA1’s are going to be safer because with all that extra power, you’ll actually have more grip on the ground. With all that extra power, you may hit an unexpected corner too hot and the tires will actually save you from losing control. They will definitely help keep your back end from sliding out at WOT, so there’s some additional safety right there too. Just like the turbo, know when and where you can use it to its potential. If you have a nice dry road and the tires are warmed up, then the RA1s will be infinitely safer then the Falkens you are running now. However, if it starts to rain or you suspect moisture on the road, then hold back, just like you would with your turbo in a school or residential zone. Just don’t even think of using the RA1s in the snow.

Woody, this a bad idea.

The RA1s aren't THAT much stickier than the Falkens. The cons of running a R compound on the street far outweigh the pros.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like R compound benefits are mostly outweighed by street use cons especially in MI/IL. From what I have read the next best step "down" from R compound is a highly debatable choice with no consensus of opinion or clear "next best thing" or am I mistaken?

You may want to check out the Yokohoma ADVAN Neova AD07. From what the reviews read, it's about as close to an R-compound and still be a street tire as you can get.

Most of the ST class autocrossers I know seem to choose between B-Stone RE01R, ST-615, yoko/advan AD 07, and a couple of others from Kumho and Toyo (whose models numbers I don't know). All of those have healthy grip levels, and treadwear over 140.

Even there, it is a bit of a "flavor of the month" thing. One thing favoring the RE01R is that it seems to perform its best at full tread, as opposed to being shaved. Opinions differ widely though.

I don't have a preference, and I have no 1st hand experience, but hopefully this will give you a place to start.

and I'll recommend the Dunlop Z1 star spec, they are absolutely amazing in wet and of course dry.

in fact, RA1 full tread is pretty good in rain, I was surprised.

Even when they are worn, they still pretty sticky (for a "bald tire" at 60mph), I got caught in a nasty rain after a nice sunny track day. However, I was avoiding any standing water...

Keep in mind, most of these guys aren't pushing 550+ whp. So naturally they aren't going to see the inherent benefit or needs to going with such a sticky tire. However, what is the point of all that power if you can't usefully use it? Honestly, when I had 425 whp, my S03's were the only tires I needed. Going up to 550+ whp was pointless and a waste of money because my NSX wouldn't be any faster and arguably slower because with a smaller turbo ad less HP I could actually spool up my turbo faster and get more traction sooner. Why go to all the expense and hassle of 550+ whp if you are realistically only putting down 70% of that. If your tires can't handle it then you might as well put in a smaller turbo, spool up faster, and detune your car for more usable HP. When I had my smaller, less sticky S03's, I would still burn out in 3rd gear. So unless I was going 70+ mph, I was never getting the full potiential of my engine, and lets face it, when am I going to do a run starting at 70+ mph? I highly suggest at least "borrowing" as set of R compound tires just to see what it's like, then make the decision. Or another consideration is, how about just going wider then? I've got 305 wide tires in the rear and even though it sticks out from the fender a bit, it doesn't rub.

There was a thread a long time back where someone was arguing about putting as wide of a tire in the back because he was pushing 500+ whp. Some of the die-hard track and tire guys were getting on his case about how the diameters no longer matched stock and the contact patch between the front and rear tires were not thrown off balance. They were saying that he was ruining the balance of the NSX. However, I know there is no way in hell they had ever driven a 500+ whp NSX. Because they would have realized at that level of power, balance and tire diameters go completely out the window. At that level of power, all you want is traction, and you can care less about balance, because you know that maybe you will take the turn a bit slower, but you'll make up all of that difference and then some on the nearest straight.

Keep in mind, most of these guys aren't pushing 550+ whp.

What?!! My 335rwhp ownZ jo0! :wink:

I just had a situation where I'm ending up getting the Yoko ADVAN Neova AD07 and will let the OP know if they are as good as the reviews.

Last edited:
What?!! My 335rwhp ownZ jo0! :wink:

Lol, it does!!! You earned your whp the good old fashioned, working man's N/A way. My whp were cheaply gained through gimmicks and short cuts. If you're 100% pure Florida orange juice, then I'm cheap imitation orange flavored drink. Each of your HP is worth two of mine so in reality you are pushing 670 whp!!! :eek::eek: Yikes better get some RA1's on that beast immediately!

Last edited:
Cody stuffed 315's on his beast, but i don't want to run 30's on the rear.....super crappy roads around here and rims are expensive. My plan is to ditch my bilsteins and that big stupid tire shaving platform washer and get some type of coilover. At stock height or just below could I stuff a 315/35/18 under there? Would a 315 be wasted on my 10" rim?

Lol, it does!!! You earned your whp the good old fashioned, working man's N/A way. My whp were cheaply gained through gimmicks and short cuts. If you're 100% pure Florida orange juice, then I'm cheap imitation orange flavored drink. Each of your HP is worth two of mine so in reality you are pushing 670 whp!!! :eek::eek: Yikes better get some RA1's on that beast immediately!

ROFLOL! I was thinking the same thing. ;) I just canceled my Yok order and am asking Bridgestone for their F1 tire. But now I have to get 15" wheels. :(

Cody stuffed 315's on his beast, but i don't want to run 30's on the rear.....super crappy roads around here and rims are expensive. My plan is to ditch my bilsteins and that big stupid tire shaving platform washer and get some type of coilover. At stock height or just below could I stuff a 315/35/18 under there? Would a 315 be wasted on my 10" rim?

315 is really pushing the limits but it can be done. It will probably stick out from the side, but at or near stock height you most likely won't rub. It will also depend on what kind of wheel and offset you get.

For your second question, I don't believe you will be able to fit a 315 wide tire on 10" wheel. The first problem is that RA1's don't come in 315 wide tires, you'll need to go to the R888's (which are as good if not better than the RA1's and come in more sizes, but not as good in the rain) for a 315 wide tire. Secondly the recommended wheel size for a 315 wide tire is 10.5" to 11.5". A 10" wheel would be below the recommended size. My recommendation is to go with 305/35-18 sized RA1's. That's what I'm running right now and they run great.

Lastly, if you go beyond 305 wide, you'll really need to consider getting a camber correction kit. Another local NSX has 315 wide tires and the camber get so bad, the entire edge of the outer part of the wheel doesn't even look like it's making contact with the ground. So it amost seems like it's wasted.

315 is really pushing the limits but it can be done. It will probably stick out from the side, but at or near stock height you most likely won't rub. It will also depend on what kind of wheel and offset you get.

For your second question, I don't believe you will be able to fit a 315 wide tire on 10" wheel. The first problem is that RA1's don't come in 315 wide tires, you'll need to go to the R888's (which are as good if not better than the RA1's and come in more sizes, but not as good in the rain) for a 315 wide tire. Secondly the recommended wheel size for a 315 wide tire is 10.5" to 11.5". A 10" wheel would be below the recommended size. My recommendation is to go with 305/35-18 sized RA1's. That's what I'm running right now and they run great.

Lastly, if you go beyond 305 wide, you'll really need to consider getting a camber correction kit. Another local NSX has 315 wide tires and the camber get so bad, the entire edge of the outer part of the wheel doesn't even look like it's making contact with the ground. So it amost seems like it's wasted.

I drive 2-1/2 hrs back and forth to the track with my R888s - noisy. Think Jeep CJ with knobby tires - you know the hummmmmm.

I drive 2-1/2 hrs back and forth to the track with my R888s - noisy. Think Jeep CJ with knobby tires - you know the hummmmmm.

dude, you don't have after market exhaust? I'm hardpressed that anyone cared about the road noise in a nsx at all. I mean, it's noisy even if you put those quietest tires on!!!!

Last edited:
dude, you don't have after market exhaust? I'm hardpressed that anyone cared about the road noise in a nsx at all. I mean, it's noisy even if you put those quietest tires on!!!!

Exhaust noise isn't quite as distracting as driving a sports car that sounds like a jeep driving down the highway. I can deal with it on the way to and from the track, but if I had to daily drive with them it would be quite annoying.

I do 3 hr drives to Grand Rapids all the time. The magnaflow on the lovefab is quieter than stock til you put your foot in it. I don't want a car too loud to take a cell phone call.

good to know. i was not aware they were that loud.

They are not that loud Imo , yes they make some noise , but its a low frequency and ra-1 really is only noticeable in the rain .
I've been using the ra-1 on my daily driver for years , so have a few other people I know, I have also driven the 888 on the street and it is a little louder but unless your car is stock , I don't think you could notice.
Recently I got a chance to drive the toyo R1R on a civic in the rain and dry (300whp) it is actually really close in feel to ra1, I may consider this as well.
As far as tire life on the street is concerned , I know that after 10k kms the r888 is not even significantly worn on the nsx (even with a few dragstrip passes ,11.9 @121) and hard street driving . On a high powered street car I definitely appreciate the added safety , I can't believe the crappy tires that I see people run on high powered cars, I'm getting around 20-25k kms on my ra-1 on the DD integra.

YES you need to be aware of what tires you are running , the ra-1 will hydroplane if you hit standing water at high speed ,but grips on a wet road like nothing else! The R888 is much better but will still hydroplane if you are careless .

YES , we could argue this all day , the bottom line is , if you are looking for more traction / safety on a high powered street car , this is it , you can't expect a street tire to perform like a track tire , but with ra-1 they actually have a streetable race tire!

WOODY, I don't think you would regret running R888's on the street , I have personal experience with this on a similar hp nsx and it is what you need!

Last edited:
Woody, what size wheels are you running?

My rear Toyo R888s are about finished, but the fronts still have 40-50% left. I was going to dismount them, as I have a new full set of Nito Nt01s for next season F & R. The fronts are 235/40/17. This may be a cheap way for you to try them out.

They are not that loud Imo , yes they make some noise , but its a low frequency and ra-1 really is only noticeable in the rain .
I've been using the ra-1 on my daily driver for years , so have a few other people I know, I have also driven the 888 on the street and it is a little louder but unless your car is stock , I don't think you could notice.
Recently I got a chance to drive the toyo R1R on a civic in the rain and dry (300whp) it is actually really close in feel to ra1, I may consider this as well.
As far as tire life on the street is concerned , I know that after 10k kms the r888 is not even significantly worn on the nsx (even with a few dragstrip passes ,11.9 @121) and hard street driving . On a high powered street car I definitely appreciate the added safety , I can't believe the crappy tires that I see people run on high powered cars, I'm getting around 20-25k kms on my ra-1 on the DD integra.

YES you need to be aware of what tires you are running , the ra-1 will hydroplane if you hit standing water at high speed ,but grips on a wet road like nothing else! The R888 is much better but will still hydroplane if you are careless .

YES , we could argue this all day , the bottom line is , if you are looking for more traction / safety on a high powered street car , this is it , you can't expect a street tire to perform like a track tire , but with ra-1 they actually have a streetable race tire!

WOODY, I don't think you would regret running R888's on the street , I have personal experience with this on a similar hp nsx and it is what you need!

+1 billion :smile:

Woody, what size wheels are you running?

My rear Toyo R888s are about finished, but the fronts still have 40-50% left. I was going to dismount them, as I have a new full set of Nito Nt01s for next season F & R. The fronts are 235/40/17. This may be a cheap way for you to try them out.

do they rub?

Back