• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

radiator issue

hey folks,

my radiator fan does not seem to come on at any time. i suspect this is because whatever mechanism/sensor determines when the fan should come on (based on engine or coolant temp or whatever) is not doing its job.

any ideas on how i would diagnose this? where on the car might i find this sensor?

thanks,
v

Troubleshooting this on p. 23-117 of service manual for my 91 ( you can find them all here. That said, I believe the sensor you are looking for is found under the throttle body (has a round connector - see this post for a nice pic by Briank. The Radiator Fan Low Relay and Radiator Fan High Relay locations as well as the location of the Cooling Fan Control Unit, useful schematics and other info can be found on 23-112 to 23-122 as well. Personally I would start by checking the recommended fuses and relays because it is fast and easy. Fuses should be obvious and are listed on 23-117. To diagnose the Radiator Fan Low Relay what I would do quick and dirty is try it in the horn relay socket (same sub box, see 23-10) and see if the horn still works (I would check the Radiator Fan High Relay the same way). Hope some/any of this helps until an expert can chime in.

Troubleshooting this on p. 23-117 of service manual for my 91 ( you can find them all here. That said, I believe the sensor you are looking for is found under the throttle body (has a round connector - see this post for a nice pic by Briank. The Radiator Fan Low Relay and Radiator Fan High Relay locations as well as the location of the Cooling Fan Control Unit, useful schematics and other info can be found on 23-112 to 23-122 as well. Personally I would start by checking the recommended fuses and relays because it is fast and easy. Fuses should be obvious and are listed on 23-117. To diagnose the Radiator Fan Low Relay what I would do quick and dirty is try it in the horn relay socket (same sub box, see 23-10) and see if the horn still works (I would check the Radiator Fan High Relay the same way). Hope some/any of this helps until an expert can chime in.

very helpful! thanks.

v

Back