• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Radio Antenna Replacment Post Guppy Group Buys

I'll start out the question with some history. Bought the car and it had the telescoping mast antenna that was 9 feet tall and quickly got rid of that. Went to a Shark and that was the same reception but much shorter. Then to go even smaller, I got in on the Guppy Group Buy number 2. I was happy with it.

I installed a WiFi rear view camera and I must have leaned against the Guppy during the install. My radio signal is all static on AM and FM. I made sure that I still had power to the antenna and used an ohmmeter to check for resistance in the antenna and in the ground loops. Looks like the ground is fine but the antenna is toast. The only time I get a good signal is when I place my hand on the antenna. I do not plan on driving the car while hanging on to said antenna.

Looks like the Guppy is no longer avaiable from our good vendor Scorp anymore. So if we are to look for the next best low profile antenna, what is everyone else looking at? I'm no audio genius, I just would like to have my radio still work.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Per this thread, http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/187435-Ignition-hotwire-in-trunk-area , I wonder if the guppy antenna really gave you good reception or if you were in an urban area and getting reception off of the antenna in the rear glass.
Disconnect the guppy from the antenna cable to see if the crackle goes away and you get good reception.

The Shark antenna is OK in many cases, but in rural areas it is nowhere near as good as the "9ft" OEM antenna.

Thanks for the response. The Guppy is disconnected and I do live in an urban area but the reception quality is no where near what I used to have. To that end, the guppy was decent.

So now the question is, what new antenna should I go with?

Thanks for the response. The Guppy is disconnected and I do live in an urban area but the reception quality is no where near what I used to have. To that end, the guppy was decent.

So now the question is, what new antenna should I go with?

When/if you figure this out, let me know. I would like to upgrade mine as well.

watching this as well. my mast came off my guppy, and i lost everything but the base and cable. so i have a open hole in my quarter panel now. i have a shark, but its missing the piece below the mast. if anyone has some guppy parts or the whole thing, ill buy it.

And to add even more drama, it appears as though my antenna in the rear glass is not working. So I guess I'll have to trace that circuit when I get home tonight. Zero radio reception.

waiting for a replacement as well. Best of luck with everyone's search!

I'm using a bluetooth cassette adapter for now. Old school cool, with no wires!

And to add even more drama, it appears as though my antenna in the rear glass is not working. So I guess I'll have to trace that circuit when I get home tonight. Zero radio reception.

Will you post the steps you take to trace your rear window antenna? I guess I have one in my 1991. Right?

What I had done was put in a separate switch to control the height of the oem antenna, so it can be at what ever height to get reception or hidden when not using the radio. I found that having it stick out the first level of the antenna, about 1 foot and the thinnest section of the mast I was able to drive about 15 miles from the source. FM radio.

91 NSX Red/Black

Have not gotten around to tracing it yet. I'll have to break out the trusty shop manual to see where all the wires go.

Have you tried disconnecting the WiFi rear view camera? It could be a source of AM/FM interference too close to the antenna. Try that before you search other things.

Thanks Adrian. I leave wifi off when I'm in the car and only turn it on when i plan to use the camera. That does not seem to interfere with the reception plus or minus.

Thanks Adrian. I leave wifi off when I'm in the car and only turn it on when i plan to use the camera. That does not seem to interfere with the reception plus or minus.

I'm a little confused. What system are you running?

I have a phone dock that accesses an app called Car Dock. That app let's me choose, the backup camera, Waze, Pandora, Sigalert, navigation, Torque, in other words what ever app I want. The only thing that runs off of WiFi is the camera, so I disable it on my phone until I need it to use the camera.

I have a phone dock that accesses an app called Car Dock. That app let's me choose, the backup camera, Waze, Pandora, Sigalert, navigation, Torque, in other words what ever app I want. The only thing that runs off of WiFi is the camera, so I disable it on my phone until I need it to use the camera.

You turn off Wifi on your phone, but the camera itself is broadcasting over Wifi always (or as soon as the ignition is turned on - depending on how you wired it)?

I suggest removing the power completely to the backup camera and seeing if the interference goes away.

Back