• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rain X + NSX

I just washed the crud off my car today from taking advantage of this nice weather, and when I got to the head-lights, I got to thinking: since headlights get dirty, and pop-up lights sometimes get over-looked as they're (generally) not in a fixed upright position when we start cleaning, would there be any advantage to wiping some rain-x on the lights, and more importantly, would there be any harm in it? I'm thinking that at the least it may help keep them cleanER longER. Any thoughts?

In certain tests here in Germany (printed and TV mags) they didn't even suggest rain-X for the front window! Poor results - at least for the product version we get here.

NSX-Racer said:
In certain tests here in Germany (printed and TV mags) they didn't even suggest rain-X for the front window! Poor results - at least for the product version we get here.

Wow, that's very odd. Must be due to the fact that they drive so slowly over there. ;)

Seriously though, I've used it for decades and there is certainly no question that it works on most cars. However, it does require a certain velocity before it works, and that varies somewhat with windshield angle, but above ~45mph it can not only render wipers unnecessary but at times you can't even tell it's raining, giving significantly better visibility than wipers.

One minor annoyance is that when moving slowly enough to need wipers there is sometimes a visible "haze" effect for a second following each swipe.

I simply can't imagine a test result such as you describe unless they failed to adequately clean the glass or something like that. Surely the glass isn't different. It does seem somewhat less effective on old pitted glass but still a "clear" benefit.

sjs said:
I've used it for decades and there is certainly no question that it works on most cars. However, it does require a certain velocity before it works, and that varies somewhat with windshield angle, but above ~45mph it can not only render wipers unnecessary but at times you can't even tell it's raining, giving significantly better visibility than wipers.
My experience is exactly the same as sjs's.

There are two reasons why I can imagine that they got poor results with it (other than possible differences in formula).

First, the big mistake that RainX novices make during the application is not rubbing hard enough when buffing it off. If you don't put some elbow grease into it, a haze can be left on the glass. Press hard when buffing, and it won't leave any haze at all.

Second, RainX is effective when the windows are clean, and the water simply rolls off the glass. If the car windows get dirty, though, the dirt gives the water a surface to adhere to, and the RainX appears to be ineffective. All you need to do in that case is to wash the windows (or, better yet, wash the whole car), and the effectiveness of the previously-applied RainX will be totally restored, without any need to re-apply it.

I've found that a single application of RainX lasts 3-6 months, easy.

nsxtasy said:
My experience is exactly the same as sjs's.

There are two reasons why I can imagine that they got poor results with it (other than possible differences in formula).

First, the big mistake that RainX novices make during the application is not rubbing hard enough when buffing it off. If you don't put some elbow grease into it, a haze can be left on the glass. Press hard when buffing, and it won't leave any haze at all...

Perhaps I have sometimes over-applied or under-buffed. The haze is very slight and only shows at all with the wipers on, but come to think of it I guess even that goes away after awhile. I’m due for another application so I’ll pay more attention this time.

A few minutes later…

So I’m holding the bottle and reading the instructions and they don’t really mention vigorous buffing, just to wipe off the haze until “crystal clear”, which of course I do. But I’ll give it a little extra effort and see how it looks.

BTW, have you ever tried their washer fluid? I haven't but wonder if anyone has found it worthwhile.

in japan they have Gaico company makes a version of rain X but 10x better..

i used it on my car now and works wonders...

there are some downsides...

- rub it in real hard
- it can really become a mess if the wipers pick up some of it..but hasnt happend recently
- after its wares off its .. oilish residue just like rain X
- it runs about 2x the price of rain X

Upsides...

- Works Damn well for me...

How do you REMOVE Rain-X or products like it?? There is some on my '94 NSX and I would like to remove it.

Meeyatch1 said:
How do you REMOVE Rain-X or products like it?? There is some on my '94 NSX and I would like to remove it.

Probably Blue Dawn liquid dishsoap would work, it pulls off pretty much anything due to high alkaline content. I would try to avoid getting it on your paint cause it will remove any polishes/waxes on there. But it doesn't harm paint itself.

After the glass is clean and dry hit it with Eagle One 20/20 to clean it up and make it shine.

but to answer the original question, yes, you can use it on the GLASS ONLY portion of your headlights, not on any plastic anywhere... It helps to keep bugs and other road junk from sticking too badly. That's been my experience on a Saab 9000 and a P928S4. I've never had any grief with it as long as it's on glass!

Don

In addition to the glass portion of the headlights and all the windows, I use it on my side-view mirrors...

As to using RainX, after you have applied it and allowed some time to dry. Take a spray bottle of cool water and mist everything you applied the RainX too before buffing - it will eliminate almost all of the haze.

I also don't reapply until I notice a diminished effectiveness of the product, maybe once a month.

Mitch:D

PS - has anyone tried their car wax ?????????????

sjs said:

BTW, have you ever tried their washer fluid? I haven't but wonder if anyone has found it worthwhile.

I am using it and it seems to work fine, but I can't say that it appears to be better than other fluid I have used.

I have a question for RainX users... How many of you actually stop using the wipers and start relying on the product??

I particularly use the wipers for less than 10 times (I mean 10 swiping motion. :cool: ) in last 5 years.

My reason is that with the RainX on the windshield, if you use wiper, sometime it actually had left smear right after the split second. The thing that actually bugs me is that it leaves "a water track" at where the wiper stopped... I hated it.

So, 8 years ago, I started not using wiper at all times and I rely on RainX since then. I had thought of taking off the wiper assembly for my nsx since I don't see any reason of using them. ( I left my accord's wiper just for those snowy mornings.) I wouldn't drive the nsx when it snows anyway... :D

NSXDreamer2 said:
I have a question for RainX users... How many of you actually stop using the wipers and start relying on the product??
Me.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I particularly use the wipers for less than 10 times (I mean 10 swiping motion. :cool: ) in last 5 years.
Sounds about the same here.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I had thought of taking off the wiper assembly for my nsx since I don't see any reason of using them.
Mine are off. I keep the driver's side wiper in the car, and a 17 mm socket and ratchet in the glove compartment. (I leave the 17 mm acorn nut in place.)

Back