• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rant: Is anything made in the USA anymore?

A few years ago I had my kitchen and bathroom remodeled, all the way down to the studs. Here's where the components were made.

Hood - Zephyr, made in California, USA

FWIW: the company is indeed located in San Francisco CA but it seems that not all of the products that they sell are manufactured in the US.

The label on the box for my Zephyr hood said "Made in China"...

The stuff are made in USA not any good, look at US made vehicles. High salaries, but low quality. Why make them? We are only good at making bombs, airplanes and military equipments.

Don't forget debt.

I have been getting stuff for my new house, woo-hoo almost done. Sad that most everything was made in China. It would be really easy to make stuff here except the environment would be destroyed. I know I don't want a tire factory in my town, or any factory that dumps crap in my water. However the parts could be made elsewhere and assembled here.

Funny story, my buddy works at a plant that assembles transmissions. The factory ordered a bunch of parts from Japan. The order placed said no less than 5 defect are excepted. The order came on a pallet and on top of the pallet was a box with five defective parts and a note that said, we don't know why you want these defective parts but we sent the 5 defective parts you requested.

I started feeling a little ill after reading some of this stuff. Washed my face and hands then used a squirt of hand sanitizer (makes for a great aftershave) and couldn't help but look on the bottom of the dispenser to see where it was made. :eek:

OH SHITT

I went back to using Brut!:cool:

Jack

I guess you could differentiate.

Assembled in the USA vs 100% parts from USA and made in USA. There's a big difference. I seriously doubt any Toyota car or BWM, is 100% USA made, assembled maybe...

My company is actually building a huge assembly plant in Charlotte, will create ~1000 jobs over five years, if not more...so some companys are still investing in the domestic market, this is for long term growth. Now the final product will be assembled here, but the parts, as with many other final assembled items made here will be from the global market. Hell even Harleys aren't 100% US made anymore, just doesn't make sense to do it from a cost perspective vs customer perceived value. Even worse is when a foreign company can give you better quality for less money than your own domestic market, this is aside from brand name recognition as that's customer perceived value often time, clothing comes to mind here with all the couture lables etc.

The reality is few Americans, or people living here, are willing to pay the premium it would cost to get a 100% USA made (parts and assembled in the USA) versus a comparable product from a foreign place or part that has sub-assemblied from foreign places that costs significantly less.

1) NEC phone system-Thailand
2) Swingline stapler-Mexico
3) XM Reciever/Remote-Malaysia
4) Phihong computer speakers-China
5) Dental typodont/study model-Japan
6) Pen holder-China
7) Atomic clock-China
8) Linksys router-China
9) Westell modem-China
10) Simplified Communicator System-USA
11) Dunkin Donuts coffee mug-USA
12) Compaq laptop computer-China
13) Lipton diet iced tea-USA
14) Logitech mouse-China
15) Pilot G2 Pen-Japan
16) Radio Shack recargable AA battery-China
17) Kirkland Signature tissues-USA
18) Brother P-Touch-China
19) HTC cell phone-China
20) Office Depot calander-USA
21) GTO - Australia
22) G8 - Australia

I bought some cheap wood plaques to make fancy outlet covers for my home theater system- they were $1 each at Walmart. Imagine my surprise when I flipped them over- made in the USA... :eek:

Fake Coach purses are still made in the US. The authentic Coach purses are made in China. http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2007/09/how_to_spot_a_fake_purse.php

Women I am currently dating...

Emily - Vietnam
Lilly - Japan
Tina - China

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You are THE player, Doug.

The one with the breathalyzer.:wink: If you don't get that joke, ask Slamstorm (Alan), Queenlives (Hal) or Chopjazz (Ken). They will more than happy to explain.
Not the breathalyzer chick again.:biggrin:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112373

Fake Coach purses are still made in the US. The authentic Coach purses are made in China. http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2007/09/how_to_spot_a_fake_purse.php

You are THE player, Doug.

Not the breathalyzer chick again.:biggrin:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112373

Thanks Alan. Can always count on you to bring up my crazy woman date from hell. Guess it won't be too long until I post up about my date that's part of the Jihad Jane group as well.:biggrin:

52706825.jpg

Back