• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rattling Chain type noise (anyone familiar with it?

Hello All, I hope someone can give me some insight, this car is still very new to me,
not even a week. I am hearing a noise that sounds like a chain rattling when the car is rolling, anyone ever had this? It goes in for brakes alignment and Wheel balancing on
Thursday. I was just wondering if anyone has an I dea on what I should look for.
Thanks
Len

possible a loose valve could make this noise which could sound like a chain...however, you would notice at idle as well, just alot louder when driving. My local dealer was nice enough to leave on of mine loose so I could hear what it sounds like..
smile.gif

I had a bolt back out of my AC compressor that rattled much like that, did not really find it until I had the car on a lift. Hope this helps.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

What would happen or should do if having that kind of problem? I can hear some ticking sound during idle .. but not when the car is running, someone told me that it might be a valve loose. he said no big deal you could adjust it. Could it be also be running low on engine oil?

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
What would happen or should do if having that kind of problem? I can hear some ticking sound during idle .. but not when the car is running, someone told me that it might be a valve loose. he said no big deal you could adjust it. Could it be also be running low on engine oil?

The engine oil is easiest to check. You do know where the dipstick is, right?

Adjusting the valve clearances is part of the scheduled maintenance, every 15K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. When was the last time you had it done?

Thanks for all the input, Yeah I was able to find the dipstick, A couple of times now.
The services are done it isn't the engine at all, I had the car coasting with the engine off and it still made the noise. I think I may have located it. The wheels have a center cap that was loose. As were a couple of bolts of the exhaust. I will know after I
do the brake job tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Leonard

what if there is some chain like noise when the car is moving while the engine is still cold?

Does it sound like you have the Energiser bunny as a hostage under the left side of the dash ( I have a RHD NSX ) ?

If so, it's the valve system on the ABS system making the noise. It drove me mental until I found out it meant nothing :) Now I hardly notice it at all! A bit like those crushing pains I've been getting in the centre of my chest....

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
what if there is some chain like noise when the car is moving while the engine is still cold?

What if there is some chain like noise coming from that young hottie at the S&M Boutique?
biggrin.gif

Why don't you get it up to speed on a deserted road somewhere, push the clutch in and shut off the motor??
If the noise continues, its got nothing to do with the motor and is confined to wheels/brakes.

Ron

Back