• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rattling Rear View Mirror

Been driving my '91 for few years now. Recently noticed an annoying rattle from the interior of the car. I was sure the noise was coming from the dash/console area but the culprit appears to be the backside of the rearview mirror. Has anybody else experienced this and are there any easy fixes and/or suggestions? Thanks.

There's some internal parts that could be ordered like a spring and a few other things. That may be the culprit. You can also search for a legend mirror between the years x-x and it's a direct replacement and an inch or so wider. I got one off eBay for I think $20. But you'll still need to buy some new hardware.

The front bezel on mine used to make noise which could be eliminated by putting your finger or a rubber band around it. I took a small bit of clear silicone caulking and smeared that around the back (gap between the bezel and main body), pushed it into that seam, and then spent some time wiping off all of the excess with alcohol before it cured. Now there's no more noises and no trace of any modification to the mirror.

Is the torx screw that holds the mirror stem to the windshield button tight? It could have backed off and is allowing the entire mirror to vibrate

The front bezel on mine used to make noise which could be eliminated by putting your finger or a rubber band around it. I took a small bit of clear silicone caulking and smeared that around the back (gap between the bezel and main body), pushed it into that seam, and then spent some time wiping off all of the excess with alcohol before it cured. Now there's no more noises and no trace of any modification to the mirror.

This sounds like my issue exactly. Think I'll give it a shot of silicon. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the torx screw that holds the mirror stem to the windshield button tight? It could have backed off and is allowing the entire mirror to vibrate

yeah...it's good and tight.

Are you sure it's the mirror? I had a similar noise I thought was the mirror, but it was a connector rattling above the dome light. Wrapped it in foam.

Are you sure it's the mirror? I had a similar noise I thought was the mirror, but it was a connector rattling above the dome light. Wrapped it in foam.

Yeah....I'm sure. If I grab the mirror while I'm driving it stops.

this isn't gunna help you much.........It IS the mirror......... mine drove me nuts for a couple years but it was more than 10 years ago and I don't remember for sure what I did to fix it......I think I may have 'shimmed" it at some point .....

Last edited:
this would be a great time to remove it entirely and replace with a Homelink mirror. One of the best mods I have done to my car :biggrin:

this would be a great time to remove it entirely and replace with a Homelink mirror. One of the best mods I have done to my car :biggrin:

Did you have to remove the base of the mirror?

I saw a frameless mirror that I would love to install but was not sure if I could use the NSX's original base.

If you did remove the base were there any issues you encountered?

Thanks!

Back