• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Re-painting SPA Yellow on a 92 Black

My 92 Black NSX was damaged from the front bumper all the way to the rear panel. Since I need to paint half of the car, I decided to re-paint the entire car SPA YELLOW and add a WW-Kit

Questions:
Any difference in the color code for SPA Yellow Y52P? The older ones look a bit lighter than the new ones.

What type of paint should I ask for?

Do I have to replace all the rubber lining or can I reused my old ones?

How long does it take to repaint an entire car properly?

Here is my new question:

SPA YELLOW (Y52P) or RIO YELLOW (Y65P)?

SPA YELLOW (Y52P)
spafront2.jpg

RIO YELLOW (Y65P)?
Riofront.jpg

I need to make my decision soon.....they body shop is ready to mix the paint. If anyone have really good pictures of a Rio Yellow NSX, please send them to me @[email protected]'s hard to find good pics.

Last edited:
hey dreamer im a body shop director for honda leave it black. changing colors and doing it right will cost you thousands. as for paint type they all make a pretty good product ppg, basf, dupont,spies, glasurit, we use basf diamont seeya

I'll third the "don't do it" comment. Or maybe I should say, if you do it to an NSX, do it right, which involves what was mentioned above. I restore cars as a hobby and can attest to it being a LOT of work to do things right, or, a LOT of money to have someone else do it right. :smile:

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I am going to pay the money and make sure it is done right. Everyone with a black NSX (that has actually driven for 10+ years) has a lot of chips in the front and swril marks on their paint. Also, blk is extremely hard to take care of. So, here is my chance to get a new paint job and a new look. I know that it won't every be as good as original, but hopefully the shop will do a good job. :smile:

kjhNSXdreamer said:
Any difference in the color code for SPA Yellow Y52P? The older ones look a bit lighter than the new ones.
The new cars are Rio Yellow, not Spa Yellow.

Don't ask me what the difference is between the two, though...

My advice is also Don't do it! Repair the black car and sell it and buy a Spa Yellow in as good or better condition than yours was before the accident. It will cost you a lot less money than doing a total repaint the way it should be done.

The same color code of yellow looks different on newer cars. My '99 is definitely darker than the 97s and 98s I've compared it to. I have not done a side by side comparison with 2000s and beyond so I don't know if they are still darker.

1HOT NSX said:
My advice is also Don't do it! Repair the black car and sell it and buy a Spa Yellow in as good or better condition than yours was before the accident. It will cost you a lot less money than doing a total repaint the way it should be done.

The same color code of yellow looks different on newer cars. My '99 is definitely darker than the 97s and 98s I've compared it to. I have not done a side by side comparison with 2000s and beyond so I don't know if they are still darker.

Guys, I have insurance and it will cover a lot of paint on the car (The car was swipped, which messed up the front to the rear). The shop I'm doing it at is a friend, who is just charging me the extra for painting the rest of the car.

He said the total job will probably be around $8-10. I'm not sure what is my out of pocket is yet.

What is you budget for the paint? Not the body kit or install, just the repaint.

(sorry I posted 1 minute after your post)

Last edited:
1HOT NSX said:

IMO-
Best advice yet!

It will cost a HUGE amount of $$$ to change the color and to do it right. The color change from black to yellow is extreme and unless done correctly there will be evidence of the color change. If/when you sell the car you will lose more $ because of the color change.

Fix it, sell it, buy the color that you want. Keep any extra $$$ from the insurance settlement and put it toward the purchase of the new car.

Or-
Do a two-tone paint job. I do not suggest the "Bumble Bee" look. Something more subtle. Maybe just black accents or highlights. At least then you would not worry about the black door jambs and engine compartment, etc.

Again, JMO :cool:

Cruzrmm said:
IMO-
Best advice yet!

It will cost a HUGE amount of $$$ to change the color and to do it right. The color change from black to yellow is extreme and unless done correctly there will be evidence of the color change. If/when you sell the car you will lose more $ because of the color change.

Fix it, sell it, buy the color that you want. Keep any extra $$$ from the insurance settlement and put it toward the purchase of the new car.

Or-
Do a two-tone paint job. I do not suggest the "Bumble Bee" look. Something more subtle. Maybe just black accents or highlights. At least then you would not worry about the black door jambs and engine compartment, etc.

Again, JMO :cool:

DocJohn, here's another potential "Bee" on the left coast, that would be more than one on each, maybe you can arrange some sort of "group buy" for clones!!! :biggrin:

Couple of things likely to happen here - -

the car when color changed willl depreciate substantially, and

you will probably no longer have a friend in a body shop.

Sell the black car once repaired and find a nice spa yellow car. There is no way the shop is going to do it right for the sum you have indicated. Save the grief and do not ruin a nice NSX by changing the color. Unless you are going to make sure the car is disassembled and the complete paint job is done correctly, as if the factory was changing the color, you will regret it.

You guys are quite the motivators here. First of all....IT'S HIS CAR and he never asked "SHOULD I CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY NSX???" !
How do you know he cares about depreciation and what not. Not all of us worry about every little scratch because it may bring the value down. I say, "If you want your car yellow, paint it yellow" Your right, it's the perfect time to do it...especially if the insurance company will cover a large portion of the expense.
As far as it looking as perfect as the factory paint...probably not. But does his 14 year old paint look as perfect as the factory paint...?...probably not.

And yeah, you would need to tear the car apart to do it right...but come on even to do a repaint of the same color "RIGHT" you should take it apart because the blacks aren't going to be a perfect match. "Oh...but nobody is going to notice the difference in black" you're probably thinking. Nobody is going to notice the repaint in yellow unless they look under the hood or engine cover. And who cares....black under the hood and engine cover would actually look pretty good with the yellow.

Dreamer...I say go for it and post pictures when it's done. It'd be nice if people would give their opinions on this site without totally dismantling the thoughts of others. And BTW...who the heck wants to sell their car to buy one of a different color. Do you believe all NSXs are the same....just different colors? Maybe brand new, but there are no two used cars alike (mechanically, cleanliness, scratch free, etc)

newby said:
You guys are quite the motivators here. First of all....IT'S HIS CAR and he never asked "SHOULD I CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY NSX???" !
How do you know he cares about depreciation and what not. Not all of us worry about every little scratch because it may bring the value down. I say, "If you want your car yellow, paint it yellow" Your right, it's the perfect time to do it...especially if the insurance company will cover a large portion of the expense.
As far as it looking as perfect as the factory paint...probably not. But does his 14 year old paint look as perfect as the factory paint...?...probably not.

And yeah, you would need to tear the car apart to do it right...but come on even to do a repaint of the same color "RIGHT" you should take it apart because the blacks aren't going to be a perfect match. "Oh...but nobody is going to notice the difference in black" you're probably thinking. Nobody is going to notice the repaint in yellow unless they look under the hood or engine cover. And who cares....black under the hood and engine cover would actually look pretty good with the yellow.

Dreamer...I say go for it and post pictures when it's done. It'd be nice if people would give their opinions on this site without totally dismantling the thoughts of others. And BTW...who the heck wants to sell their car to buy one of a different color. Do you believe all NSXs are the same....just different colors? Maybe brand new, but there are no two used cars alike (mechanically, cleanliness, scratch free, etc)

Thanks newby....I think you understand where I'm comming from.

Not all NSX are the same and everybody looks at their NSX differently. Mine (92 blk) has been driven quite a bit and it's ready for a makeover. Also, I don't intend to sell my NSX anytime soon. Thanks for all the input though, but it still gonna be re-painted yellow. :biggrin: I'm just gonna concentration on making the best yellow it can be.

I like the yellow color on the newer NSX's which is Rio Yellow like someone already said. The older yellow which is the Spa yellow looks to bright to me and makes the car look a little cheap IMHO. The darker yellow just gleams more to me. I've had several cars painted and the time it takes for a car to get painted all depends on your bodyshop. A decent time would be about a week or two. The worst time for me took about a month and a half.

If you look at the F355 ferrari on my avatar you can see that it is a darker yellow than the spa yellow on the early nsx's. Maybe I'm biased to the italian yellow and love the darkness of it. It just looks more rich to me.

Hey dreamer

By all means it's your car and you have to do what makes you happy. The sage advice that you received was just that members of Prime care (about the people and the cars). The advice you received wasn't against a yellow car, it was just that you may be able to save money by selling your nsx and then buying a yellow, rather than painting yours.

Good Luck

If you do paint it make sure you post some pictures.

Hey kjhNSXdreamer,

I'm also in the same situation as you, except with a 91 red car.
I have incurred damage to the left rear of my car (luckily no structural damage, completely cosmetic), and I decided after so many years with it, I wanted a change. I am putting a widebody kit on the car, and I figured that since almost the entire car will need to be completely painted and blended, I might as well repaint it completely with a different color. I agree that the new Rio Yellow is an amazing color. The paint code is Y-65P, in case you decide to go with the 2004 yellow.
I am pretty sure that I will not sell my car, and I am doing this because it is really for my personal enjoyment. However, you may want to heed the others advice should you decide not to drive the NSX to the ground, since it will affect resale value. You should plan to document the entire process so that you can show the next buyer that everything was done right.

When will your car be completed? Are you attending HIN in San Mateo this Saturday? I am hoping I get my car back by the end of this month.

Take Care.

Last edited:
They both look great, but I'm more partial to the Rio.

there are so many people in this thread saying not to do it because it will de-value the car,but the cars value is going to take a drop anyway because it has had a bump.go for it i say.i changed the colour on my car and that hadn't had a bump.just make sure you do as stated above and photograph the whole procedure so that if the time comes that you want to sell your car you will have a good portfolio to show the next owner.

Is the yellow on my 02 spa yellow or rio yellow. I didn't realize there was different ones? I have always called it spa yellow.

Thanks.

Ever think of repainting black, but then adding a colored metallic flake on top of it just to change the look a little? Black with a blue/green metallic flake on top would look very good IMO and the engine bay, etc would not be as much of a big deal.

If you are set on the yellow, I also vote for rio.

Back