• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear 19x10 et40mm and 19x9.5 et35mm

Has anyone on the site used 19x10 et40mm or 19x9.5 et35mm at the rear without rubbing the fender? The reason I am asking is that I know many people have no problem fitting 10 inches wheels at the rear with 45mm offset. Now I am ordering a set of wheels and I was told by the vendor to use 19x10 with 40mm offset. When I called Tirerack for the SSR GT3, they even recommended 19x10.5 with 43mm offset which is even more outward than the aforementioned wheel. I didn't know there is that much more room for these wheel. What are the widest wheels you have and at what offsets?
Steve

i finally got my set last week, here's what i found out. i got this setup:

18x8 40 offset
19X10.5 43 offset

both front and rears do not clear the calipers. i needed about 8mm spacer in the front and 5 in the rear. this is just to clear the stock calipers. i have a 94 car. but my buddy has a 92 with 97+ brakes and the wheels fit without a problem. so now, i'm looking into upgrading my brakes to 97+ to make the wheels fit.

i'm not sure if they come in different disc applications for ssr gt3s, but i was shipped the low disc application, that might be the reason they don't fit. if they offer the high disc, it should clear the calipers fine, but you won't have much of a lip.

the wheels i got has a pretty big lip in the front and huge liip in the rear, so i'm going to keep them and just upgrade the brakes to 97+.

xScape
I was just wondering if the rims you just bought were the SSR GT3 or are you talking about a different brand. I'm getting the GT3 and will have to address this issue with Tire Rack if it is a problem on my 92. Thank.

xScape said:
both front and rears do not clear the calipers. i needed about 8mm spacer in the front and 5 in the rear. this is just to clear the stock calipers. i have a 94 car. but my buddy has a 92 with 97+ brakes and the wheels fit without a problem. so now, i'm looking into upgrading my brakes to 97+ to make the wheels fit.
I don't understand. The '97+ brakes are bigger - bigger and thicker rotors, and I think bigger calipers in front. Why would the wheels fit with bigger brakes, and not fit with smaller brakes? :confused:

nsxtasy said:
I don't understand. The '97+ brakes are bigger - bigger and thicker rotors, and I think bigger calipers in front. Why would the wheels fit with bigger brakes, and not fit with smaller brakes? :confused:
I was just asking the same thing to myself. Also if you are using the 8 mm spacers to clear the calipers, you essentially make the front wheels 32mm offset and the rears 35mm. With the sizes, they are extremely aggressive. Do you have enough room for the spacers at all?
Steve

Well, Tire Rack better clear this up because they do list the GT3 18X7.5 as a fitment for the 91-96 NSXs. That is the size I ordered. Unless the 18X7.5" front fits but not the 18X8"? I do have a email in to Alex at Tire Rack and I will call him on Monday as well. I ordered a 19X10 for the rear and nobody mentioned anything about it not clearing my 92 calipers at the time of the order. If they don't have a confirmed fitment, or a car to confirm fitment, I guess I could ask them to measure the exact distance from the rim hub face to the closest part of the rim spokes. My crude measurement on my stock 16 fronts was 40mm, but I have to make a more precise measurement later. If I have to go with the 97+ brakes I will, but I want to be 100% sure it will clear before I go through the trouble of buying the parts.

I hope we don't have to bid against each other for the 97+ brakes, did I just shoot myself in the foot? You guys will let me get first dibs on 97+ brakes that come on sale, right? :)

Because the rotors are slightly bigger, it'll push the calipers further outwards where the spoke of the wheel has more room due to the curvature of the spoke. Also, the bracket design is different from what I can tell between the brakes. The brackets on the 97+ brakes are more flushed where the older bracket protrudes out more.

BTW, when are you guys getting your wheels? I waited a long time and just got them recently. And now, most of the GT3s are backordered until at least until January.

If you want to see some pics of the GT3s i satin finish on my friend's car, send me your email.

xScape said:
I hope we don't have to bid against each other for the 97+ brakes, did I just shoot myself in the foot? You guys will let me get first dibs on 97+ brakes that come on sale, right? :)

Because the rotors are slightly bigger, it'll push the calipers further outwards where the spoke of the wheel has more room due to the curvature of the spoke. Also, the bracket design is different from what I can tell between the brakes. The brackets on the 97+ brakes are more flushed where the older bracket protrudes out more.

BTW, when are you guys getting your wheels? I waited a long time and just got them recently. And now, most of the GT3s are backordered until at least until January.

If you want to see some pics of the GT3s i satin finish on my friend's car, send me your email.

I just ordered my rims thispast week, so they are on special order and probably wont come in until January sometime.

As for a bidding war with the brakes? :D Don't worry, I'm trying to see if my cousin who is one of the big managers in the parts department at the Torrance Honda Facility can get me just the brackets instead of the entire caliper kit. If he can't I'll buy the entire set through him, or maybe though Neilo Acura or something hopefully with a 30% discount.

It doesn't make sense that you guys have to make major changes to your stock cars just to make the wheels fit. Tirerack should be able to figure out the correct configurations and sell you a set that fits your car, period.
Steve

Guys, if you read my post, I mentioned that I was sent the low disc application for both front and rear. That might have been a mistake, b/c normally our cars require either high or medium. But since my low disc wheels give me a much bigger lip than the high or medium, I'm going to try to make it work by using 97+ brakes. It's over an inch of lip in the front and almost 3 in the rear.

If you ordered from Tirerack, you should find out from them if you're getting high, med, or low disc applicaion, in addition to the offset.

Hope this helps.

can you just ask for the trade and see if you can save a few bucks?

xScape said:
Guys, if you read my post, I mentioned that I was sent the low disc application for both front and rear. That might have been a mistake, b/c normally our cars require either high or medium. But since my low disc wheels give me a much bigger lip than the high or medium, I'm going to try to make it work by using 97+ brakes. It's over an inch of lip in the front and almost 3 in the rear.

If you ordered from Tirerack, you should find out from them if you're getting high, med, or low disc applicaion, in addition to the offset.

Hope this helps.

xScape said:

Hope this helps.

I just got a reply back from Alex at Tire Rack. He garentees the set I'm getting will fit the early 91-96 NSX. I'm still waiting on the exact offsets, but at this point I'll trust that they have the correct fitment.

Update on the exact sizes and offsets I'm getting from Tire Rack.
18X7.5 et42
19X10 et 41

According to a rim calculator, the 18X7.5" front rim with +42 offset will stick out 19mm more than the stock 16X7" with +55 offset. The rear 19X10" with +41 offset will stick out 38mm more than the stock 17X8.5" with +60 offset. My front will have lots of room as I'm using a 25mm H&R spacer with the stock rims and it makes the rim come out right to the fenders edge. The rear has a little more room but moving the new rims out 38mm will be very close to the outer fender line.

Also, Alex at Tire Rack confirmed this set will work and clear the 91-96 brake calipers.

Last edited:
finally got the SSR GT3s on my car. i was able to purchase 97+ brakes and put them on my car, but i still needed a 5mm spacer to make the front clear the calipers. i'm going to try to sand down the NSX logo to see if that will give me some extra space so i can get rid of the spacers.

for those considering the same wheels, here are some pictures. after all the trouble to get them on, i still think it was worth it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/105509788ZxkJqH

Xscape, Nice pics. Did you get the satin finish or silver finish, for the center section of your wheel?

I'll be able to 100% confirm that the sizes I listed above that I'm getting for the GT3 will fit the stock 91-96 calipers. Like I mentioned, Tire Rack guarantees me they will clear my 91-96 calipers. My rims should be shipped in a couple of days and arrive soon so I can do a test fitment for 100% confirmation.

On a side note. I was waiting all this time because the rear 275 S03 tires I wanted were on back order. I decided to switch to Pirelli tires 215/35/18 front and 265/30/19 rear simply because they are in stock and actually will cost me about $40 less. I just couldn't wait anymore;)

Yea, I got the satin silver finish.

Chris, your sizes should work since that's the size they publish on their website, 7.5 and 10. When you get the rims, can you let us know if you have the low, medium or high disk application? I have the 18x8 40 offset and 19x10.5 43 offset, both in low disk application.

Thanks.

xScape said:

Chris, your sizes should work since that's the size they publish on their website, 7.5 and 10. When you get the rims, can you let us know if you have the low, medium or high disk application? I have the 18x8 40 offset and 19x10.5 43 offset, both in low disk application.

Thanks.

I'm sure it is high disk at least in the front, but I'll take some pictures when I get them. My lip more than likely will not be as deep as yours, but that's fine with me. On a side note, FedEx tried to deliver the rims today (12/24) but I wasn't home:mad: Now I'll have to wait until Friday:(

I got the rims on my car and they clear the 91-96 calipers with no problems. I even have about 5mm to spare in the rear and a little more up front. Anyway, the only thing I could get off the sticker was that the rear is a TYPE F style and the front is TYPE D. I'm not sure what that means. My front virtually has no lip unlike xScape's 18X8. It has maybe 1/2" of lip. The rear is not too bad though. Here are some pictures.

fa2f168a.jpg

fa2f1676.jpg

fa30b0bd.jpg

The local Motorsports shop ordered these wheels for me today through tire rack. I got 18x10.5 Silver 43mm for the rear of a 95 and they did not clear the stock Calipers. These have TYPE F low disk application on the sticker. These are the sizes that Tire Rack has on their website.. They are checking on the fitment issue, It seems that It will need a 5-7mm spacer just to clear the stock brake calipers... The fronts are not here yet, they are 42mm offsets, I am now worried that they will not fit...
I will let you all know what comes of my setup later in the week.
These wheels seem to be hit or miss, How can that be?
If you truly have the stock brakes, wouldn't they all fit the same.
I notice that most of you guys are running 19's in the rear, maybe the wheel center is truly larger on the 19's and it is giving you that extra room.

Hmmmm!

If you really wanted to runs those 10.5's, the 97+ brakes have significantly more clearance. I don't recommend any spacer, your 42mm offset (10.5" width) is already on the outer threshold. It would most likely rub on a lowered NSX.

Back