• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear hatch struts and trunk struts

After 8 years of ownership, it's time to replace my struts for my engine hatch and trunk.

I have not found the trunk struts online from Acura yet (yes I know Chris @ SOS has them) but weighting all options

but I have found the "rear struts" for the hatch online from Acura for $25 but do I need anything other than part # 33 for the hatch?

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...omp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

I have read that "An oem buyer will also need new ball studs @ $20.50/pair, or cut their old ones out and re-use them."

Thanks,

when I did mine, I purchase the ball studs too, they are unpainted, I had intended on painting them, but they actually look nice in silver, so left it alone.
I couldn't dislodge the bolt ball out of the socket of the old ones, so at the risk of injuring myself or scratching the metal, I just bought new ones, they click right in place.

90102-SL0-003 STUD, BALL

In your pick #27 is the "kit" w/ball stud included for the hatch strut.

For the trunk # 19, and #24 if you want a new ball stud:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...omp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

For the trunk, as shown above, you do need to buy the ball stud separately, but I prefer to cut the old strut off and not disturb the original ball stud in the trunk. The reason is the ball stud is installed PRIOR to the body being painted. So if you replace the ball stud you need to crack the paint, and the new stud in not painted.

Takes a little longer, and you need to be careful, but worth it, I think:).

Regards,
LarryB

In your pick #27 is the "kit" w/ball stud included for the hatch strut.

For the trunk # 19, and #24 if you want a new ball stud:

For the trunk, as shown above, you do need to buy the ball stud separately, but I prefer to cut the old strut off and not disturb the original ball stud in the trunk. The reason is the ball stud is installed PRIOR to the body being painted. So if you replace the ball stud you need to crack the paint, and the new stud in not painted.

Takes a little longer, and you need to be careful, but worth it, I think:).

Regards,
LarryB

thanks for your in-depth response!

Hi,

Have you considered having your struts rebuilt?
The original units are well made and can provide many years of continued service. As long as the shafts are in good/undamaged condition I would definitely think of this route.

Frank Irvine owns/operates Strutwise strut rebuilding in Vancouver, Canada and her has a stellar reputation. He guarantees his workmanship and is an ethical person to work with. His repairs come with a 1 year warrantee but he has told me that if I were have a problem after that to let him know and he will make it right...... (he can do this as he is the owner of the company). Who else will stand behind their product like this?

There is a large fan club for Frank and his company here on Prime. I have never heard of anyone bashing him or his work. He can be contacted at 1-888-589-1208 or at his website www.strutwise.com . Frank is offering a special to us Prime members for free return shipping if you do the trunk and engine hatch struts at the same time.
Contact Frank and talk to him before you make a decision on this project. You wont regret it.......

I do not work for him and I have no financial interest in his company.
I am only a NSX owner (12+ years) who has used his services and I enjoy letting others know of his company.

Hi,

Have you considered having your struts rebuilt?
The original units are well made and can provide many years of continued service. As long as the shafts are in good/undamaged condition I would definitely think of this route.

Frank Irvine owns/operates Strutwise strut

Thanks for your reply. I considered this years ago but after looking into it I thought the savings were not enough to justify not getting them brand new.

Back