• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear hatch window trim

Have a 1993 Red/black NSX. Had it waxed & some of wax dried on the trim strip surrounding rear window hatch & the heat:cool: in south Florida "baked" it on & has now turned gray. I wish to restore this trim to original matte black color, but uncertain what product to use, as I am uncertain if the trim is metal (Doesn't feel like rubber- anyone can tell me what material it is?:confused:) I know to put any product on when surface is cool & no rain coming.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanx,

Robert
Ft Lauderdale, FL

PS: Sorry if I double posted. Not as active with Prime as many.

Have a 1993 Red/black NSX. Had it waxed & some of wax dried on the trim strip surrounding rear window hatch & the heat:cool: in south Florida "baked" it on & has now turned gray. I wish to restore this trim to original matte black color, but uncertain what product to use, as I am uncertain if the trim is metal (Doesn't feel like rubber- anyone can tell me what material it is?:confused:) I know to put any product on when surface is cool & no rain coming.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanx,

Robert
Ft Lauderdale, FL

PS: Sorry if I double posted. Not as active with Prime as many.

I think is just hard molded plastic, you can remove it which would make it easier to paint, but I'm not sure how easy removing the bits would be without breaking them, especially as they would have been on from new, so a long time.

But you can purchase the moulding new from your dealer!

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~molding~assy~tailgate~73250-SL0-003.html

rkh: rub it with a little 0000 steel wool. Aside from dried wax, that rubber trim will get a cloudy haze on it over the years as it oxidizes in the sun. A gentle rub and follow-up with 303 Aerospace protectant will make it look like new.
Not recommended for hard plastics like the engine garnish, of course.
:smile:

Has anyone tried to replace the plastic trim surround? It looks like it is bonded to the glass. I would like to replace mine also. I would like some advice from someone who has done it.

Thanks

rkh: rub it with a little 0000 steel wool. Aside from dried wax, that rubber trim will get a cloudy haze on it over the years as it oxidizes in the sun. A gentle rub and follow-up with 303 Aerospace protectant will make it look like new.
Not recommended for hard plastics like the engine garnish, of course.
:smile:
This is your answer^^^. Even if you don't use the shiney protectant, it looks decent flat black which is how the steel wool will leave it looking. BTW, it is rubber but gets hardened over time/heat.

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I got the idea from davidf a long time ago -- and it works!:biggrin:

Back