• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

rear lexan hatch

so who makes alex v's rear lexan hatch? i like sos' but the aggresive scoop looks a little better on alex's. sos said that the carbon fiber scoop his has is the only one he can get any ideas on making his scoop opening any bigger or other products that are like alex v' (the red car with the blended carbon fiber hood)
thanks

The one on Alex Vs car is available through him and Dali I think. It's very expensive. You could install short gears and R&P for the cost of that hatch.

Alex has the GruppeM one seen here http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=557

Lots of $ but it is pretty cool. The only annoyance is you have to unbolt part of the intake scoop to raise the engine hatch all the way because otherwise it would hit the roof.

The big up-side is that Alex told me it comes complete, whereas some of the others require you to use the OEM glass hatch braket which sounds like an enormous pain in the rear to remove and re-install on the lexan hatch.

The GruppeM hatch is so expensive ($5,800) becuase GruppeM purchases the stock rail from Honda to be used with their hatch. You'll get the same effect with reusing your car's rail, however, like Lud mentions, it's nice to have it come with it.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have a custom lexan window made. I need a rear hatch, but it must be made to fit differently. Too hard to explain why. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Juice:
Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have a custom lexan window made. I need a rear hatch, but it must be made to fit differently. Too hard to explain why. Any ideas?

I'll make you any style lexan window you like for $14,000. Of course, you might do better with someone who has done it before like Five Star or Pro Glass, both of whom make windows for nascar teams.
As for the $14,000, obviously quantity of sales anticipated could lower the price - a Porsche 944 rear hatch can be bought for $365.00.

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Have you seen the hatch on my NSX, It was a simple task, and very inexspensive to do. Also it has a custom scoop that does't require any removel to open the hatch.It can be veiwed in the topic Details on NSX modified single turbo in the General Discusion heading.

Originally posted by smoore:
gerry,
i did not see any scoop in the red nsx or was i looking on the wrong forum?? can you post a link :)

No, the black one further up in the thread with the pictures from streetracing.org is the one that I think he is talking about. Gerry, more info please!

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Originally posted by Gerry Johnson:
Have you seen the hatch on my NSX, It was a simple task, and very inexspensive to do. Also it has a custom scoop that does't require any removel to open the hatch.It can be veiwed in the topic Details on NSX modified single turbo in the General Discusion heading.

Yeh, I've seen it all right! Drool
tongue.gif
Here is the deal. I have a 91 custom convertible. While the rag top is nice, I would really like for a shop to create a lexan rear on the car that can possibly break down or fold into 2 pieces so that it can be stored in the trunk. I really need to spend time designing a way for this to work (and I think I can) but am concerned about being taken to the bank for the custom job. If I knew a lot more about how to work with lexan, maybe I would have a better idea of what I can do. Glass obviously not an option because the weight must be minimal for removal purposes. Fiberglass would also be used extensively for this project.

I really believe I can design a compact removable hard top. The question lies in the cost and ability of someone to construct my design. After working with the shop that did my custom stereo, I trust my own work more than others.

Originally posted by smoore:
yeah the scoop looks good but the question is how do i do it? looks like lexan to me who made it and how much?
stuart

I'm guessing that, maybe, you have to:

1. find a company that makes lexan windows
(maybe even one of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread!)
2. contact them

I think that I might have heard somewhere about something called a search engine that might, possibly, be useful in finding other such companies.
Be sure to come back and share your info with us and sorry about the sarcasm!
smile.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

If their are enough people interested in the lexan hatches,with or without the scoop,I have a friend that owns a big glass shop and can have the lexan molded to the factory glass shape by making a heated mold out of the stock glass. We would need to make about 20 hatches to make it cost effective for everyone. I could supply the factory frame and lexan along with the new molding assembled for under 1/2 of the Mugen price.

Originally posted by Gerry Johnson:
If their are enough people interested in the lexan hatches,with or without the scoop,I have a friend that owns a big glass shop and can have the lexan molded to the factory glass shape by making a heated mold out of the stock glass. We would need to make about 20 hatches to make it cost effective for everyone. I could supply the factory frame and lexan along with the new molding assembled for under 1/2 of the Mugen price.

Is this how yours was made? Meaning, was yours made by this shop and done in a mold made over the stock hatch? Would you mind sharing what yours cost since earlier in the thread you referred to it as "a simple task and very inexpensive to do"? Does yours use the stock frame and molding?

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

I made mine myself, It turned out great however it would be nice if the lexan was the factory shape,I also formed the scoop out of foam and hade my friend that does fiberglass work cover it and paint it.The scoop is very functional,freeway driving MAT is around 25-30 degrees celcius and under long periods of boost my MAT is around 45-55 degrees.I built the complete hatch with a used frame for $600.00.But like I said its not the exact shape of the stock glass,but hard to tell,and alot of time getting the right cut so it fit good.

The wieght difference is alot probably 1/4 or better than stock. I do not drive my car in the rain, however I did make a cover so that if I ever did get caught out in the rain I wouldn't get my motor all dirty.I would like to post a picture of the hatch from the side however I don't know how. HELP?

Back