• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear Passenger Wheel/Axel issue

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is with my rear passenger wheel/axel.
I had a clutch flywheel installed about 1 year ago and the shop did a sloppy job and I had to take it back for them to fix it. So I think it's related.

About 1 month later I started to hear a slight gear whine noise from the rear passenger wheel area that is completely speed dependent and that wheel has signifigantly more brake dust then even the fronts.

I checked the bearing by feeling for play in the wheel when jacked up and have looked at the hub area with the wheel off and no problems were seen. Does anyone have a guess? It drives good with no issues that I have noticed. Thanks for any help.

Makes me wonder what lubricant they put back in the trans. Might want to try swapping it out with Honda MTL(white cap) and see if the gear whine goes away. If they put plain motor oil in there you might get some gear whine.

Don't think the brake dust is related but you may have a stuck piston in the caliper and it may be causing the pads to drag a little and create excessive dust. Who knows, could be the cause of the noise too.

It could possibly be a ripped CV boot. Most common is the right rear and the brake dust you see could be dried up grease?

Actually when they installed the clutch they found the boot ripped, it looked like it was recent and still had grease in it. So we repacked it and put on a new boot. I wonder if the joint is going bad? The gear whine is definitely from that side of the car.

I guess I can pull the boot back and take a look. Also I'll compare the fore/aft play to the driver side. (i.e. how much does the wheel turn before the axel turns to.) the passenger side has about 1/4 inch of play. Thanks for getting me to think along that line. I kind figured it was good to go since they repacked it but now I'm not so sure.

Makes me wonder what lubricant they put back in the trans. Might want to try swapping it out with Honda MTL(white cap) and see if the gear whine goes away. If they put plain motor oil in there you might get some gear whine.

Don't think the brake dust is related but you may have a stuck piston in the caliper and it may be causing the pads to drag a little and create excessive dust. Who knows, could be the cause of the noise too.

Ya I was thinking the dust might be a stuck caliper too. When I pulled it apart the pads still had a good amount of material on them and it was even on both sides of the rotor. I measured it and I'm going to compare it to the driver side tomorrow. I'm going to swap out the trans fluid this week. I didn't think of that one, thanks.

Just for future reference I wanted to follow up on my thread. It was the wheel bearing. First Class Automotive did a great job confirming my diagnosis/guess and replaced it during my Timing Belt / Water Pump job. I forgot how quiet the car used to be cruising at 90. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Back