• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear suspension problems

Hi,

I bought a salvaged '03, and have been working on it for the last 3 years. The car was hit in the front, and extremely messed up. That is all fixed now. But I recently discovered that the driver side rear must have also gotten whacked. The camber cannot be adjusted below -2.9 degrees.

The symptom of this problem is that the suspension feels wobbly on that driver rear wheel. If I drive over a sewer cover, or a drop off from one road section to the next, the car shudders and feels like the suspension is barely connected.

Based on advice from the guys at Custom Alignment in Mtn View Ca I replaced the top suspension arm- no improvement.

Now they are suggesting I replace the knuckle, BUT they admit that it could be something wrong with the body, in which case replacing the knuckle wont do squat.

Thoughts anyone? How do I get this analyzed and still have enough $ for a tank of gas

Regards, Paul

Few of questions:

Is the car lowered or stock ride height?

If you jack that corner of the car up(wheel off the ground) and grab the tire/wheel, can you wiggle it up/down or left/right?

Do you get any noise (ie. wheel bearing noise) or clunking when this happens?

If all else fails take it to a reputable shop that specializes in NSX's like Hilltop in the bay area or Driving Ambitions(near Sac).

As far as thoughts go(don't take this the wrong way), if you are worried about money for a single tank of gas, perhaps the NSX isn't the right car for you at this time in your life. Maintenance/parts for an NSX are quite pricey compared to most daily drivers. Might be time to consider selling it and get another one when the time is right for you financially. Everyone goes through tough times every now and then(more recently than ever it seems).

Last edited:
He may have been been implying that he'd like an evaluation that won't cost him a fortune/an arm and a leg....

other than that. An NSX expert is your best bet if you do the things he said.

Few of questions:

Is the car lowered or stock ride height?

If you jack that corner of the car up(wheel off the ground) and grab the tire/wheel, can you wiggle it up/down or left/right?

Do you get any noise (ie. wheel bearing noise) or clunking when this happens?

If all else fails take it to a reputable shop that specializes in NSX's like Hilltop in the bay area or Driving Ambitions(near Sac).

As far as thoughts go(don't take this the wrong way), if you are worried about money for a single tank of gas, perhaps the NSX isn't the right car for you at this time in your life. Maintenance/parts for an NSX are quite pricey compared to most daily drivers. Might be time to consider selling it and get another one when the time is right for you financially. Everyone goes through tough times every now and then(more recently than ever it seems).

What is the camber on the other side? If the car is lowered you can have 2.9° if the car is pretty low - and the "loose" feeling you mention could be related tot he toe setting , I have had this.

Back