• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rebuild current clutch or buy new clutch?

Car is at 120k miles, and my clutch is starting to chatter and engage randomly in first gear with the pedal pushed in. I don't have documentation in its history that shows that a new clutch was ever put in...but I'd assume it hasn't gone 19 years and 120k miles on the original clutch. Anyway, I want to get it fixed.

Should I rebuild it or buy a SOS 275/Comptech PG1?

This poster had his rebuilt instead of buying a new one. But that would require a $300 flywheel, two $230 clutch plates (I'd need new clutch plates right?), plus machining and assembly. Or I can spend $1500 on a new SOS 275 or a Comptech PG1.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Personnaly, my clutch was worn after 50 kmiles (do not know how the previous user drove) and I just replaced the two discs and the release bearing. I have no problem so far (and I only drive at the track with my car). In fact, it depends of the state of your mid plate and flywheel. If your car has not been abused and the surface of the plates is ok, you can try it.

Back