• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rebuilt steering rack (A-1 Cardone)

This is absolutely NOT true!
Just wondering how you remove the old bushing without disassembling the whole rack. It is pressed in there and you need a lot of skills to take it out and put it back together as you need special tools (have a look in the service manual) and so on. I can see a bushing installed in the video but can absolutely not imagine how you took the old one out. Taking it out takes more than an hour if you haven't done this before. Just a warning to the DIY guys. It's the steering column you're working on. This should be done only by a professional who has done this before and has the special tools. I've done it and know what I'm talking about.

The NSX rack does not have any bushes in that location. The video shows a bush that i already installed there is no need to remove anything other than the tie rod end and the knuckle as is shown in the video. The shaft is supported by the housing further in from where my bush sits this bush just provides further support when the housing is warn. I hope this has cleared up your concerns.

Last edited:
Just checking in on my D1 guy EPS rebuild.
5000 miles or so later and it is performing exactly as it should be. His work has proven to be a great alternative to replacing the rack.

Last edited:
No, it will not work on the EPS version by any means. It is a totally different setup.

This fix is for manual racks only and it only makes up for slack due to wear on the rack itself. It just holds it steady. I see how it works and it isn't a bad idea. The only way to correct the EPS racks is with the procedure that I do on them.

Thanks for all the recommendations fellows. I appreciate it so much.

I know it is an old post but do you have any more info about the result of the work, I would like to fix my EPS
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Can I get some more info on your repair, I have a 1994 and I tried all the electronic fix and rebuilt the EPS is out.
Thanks

Mine is working perfectly. No issues. I don't even think about it and that is saying something! Have it done with confidence. Matt is your man for this fix.

I have sent Matt/ D1 a pm a couple of days ago but haven't received a reply yet. Do you guys know if he
still works on steering rack rebuilt? I have a manual steering rack and was wondering how much it cost to rebuilt and what
is the turn around time.

Thanks

Back