rebuilt transmission stock or short gears? Advice Please

taf

Registered Member
My snap ring broke this weekend even though the car was not in the snap ring range (1991 with 46,500 miles) So now I need to buy a rebuilt one. Do you guys have any advice. I can buy from SOS or Dali and should I send my old relatively new one in for rebuild or just get a rebuild off the shelf. Additionally are the short gears worth the 750 dollar investment. I have nothing but positive experiences from Dali and SOS, so I am only interested if anyone has experience with transmission rebuilds from either of these guys if any of you have some.

Thanks,
Todd

Sorry to hear about the snap-ring. If you sometimes felt the 2nd could be a little shorter to close the gap between 1st and 2nd get the shorties. You'll enjoy your car even more afterwards. With your mileage on the tranny get your own rebuilt. Maybe it's too early for new synchros and bearings.

Short gears. Short gears are so much fun it is not even funny.

This is the chance to turn the negative (snap ring rebuilt) into a big postive (short gears). Super happy ending in the end.

Its taken apart. Might as well. I'd love to have them. I can't provide a scientific or experience comment to it, but if I could do em, I would. Go short gears.

Just have yours rebuilt locally, use the money you would waste on shipping and put in the short gears or the 4:23 Ping & Pinon. Many may not believe so, but the inside of our transmisions are not that different than other Honda/Acura manual transmisions, having said that make sure the shop uses the manual and is aware of the shimming process for the main shaft prior to opening up your transmision, You can order in a few of the most common shim sizes from the dealer and not have down time waiting for parts to arrive.

After having a Stock 5spd Trans and then making the move to the Short Gear & 4.23 combo at the same time, I can't say that just the short gears or just the lower R&P is best, but I do like the combo very much. While they have that thing open make sure they check the diff. and adjust the preload on the limited slip or verify that it is still OK. Many will get weak over time, and with everything out of the car for the snap ring problem, labor to check it will be cheap.

Dave

Personally, having driven both, I prefer the stock gears over the short gears. But I'm more concerned about performance on the track than beating people out at traffic lights...

I have the short gears and the 4.23 R&P and I really like them. I designed my car for a lot of city driving and wanted the maximim driveability at low speeds. I don't track the car and the lower gears are great for street driving in traffic and they make driving slow easier...for example, I don't have to always down shift to 1st gear to go over a speed bump. I end up using 2nd gear a lot in slow traffic where I used to have to down shift to 1st.

P.S. In addition to being very driveable in traffic, the acceleration in the lower gears is outrageous with the twin turbos and 528 WHP!

Do I hear that people tracking their car stay with the long gears and people with daily street-driving like the shorties or even combined with the final drive 4.23? :)

stevenlee said:
I have the short gears and the 4.23 R&P and I really like them. I designed my car for a lot of city driving and wanted the maximim driveability at low speeds. I don't track the car and the lower gears are great for street driving in traffic and they make driving slow easier...for example, I don't have to always down shift to 1st gear to go over a speed bump. I end up using 2nd gear a lot in slow traffic where I used to have to down shift to 1st.

P.S. In addition to being very driveable in traffic, the acceleration in the lower gears is outrageous with the twin turbos and 528 WHP!

Not that I disagree, but short gears seem like a waste with highpower turbos. It is great for keeping the NA engine on-broil and avoid that nasty power drop-off between 1st and 2nd.

With 528 Whp, it will be quite difficult to keep them driving wheels planted......:smile:

Best Regards
Paul

PS: If you ask, I have 4.44 R&P LSD driving 315's and finding it hard to keep traction.

DDozier said:
Many may not believe so, but the inside of our transmisions are not that different than other Honda/Acura manual transmisions, having said that make sure the shop uses the manual and is aware of the shimming process for the main shaft prior to opening up your transmision, You can order in a few of the most common shim sizes from the dealer and not have down time waiting for parts to arrive.
Dave

What shimming process for the main shaft?

Henry.

If I had to do it all over again, and I had to decide between either the short gears and R&P, OR the supercharger, boost kit and headers, it would be the transmission mods all the way. TOTALLY transforms the car and makes it ten times more fun to drive.

My 92 was in the snap ring range and went out at approx 95K miles, a month after the track sessions at NSXPO 2002 here in Dallas.

I had the short gears installed in the rebuild and am very happy with them as a daily driver.

My car is having the 3.8 conversion done as I write this at SOS, should be done and back to me in about a month. I'll have to see how compatible it will be, but I'm optimistic!

Got a rebuilt from Chris at SOS in the spring.
Great service and works great!
Sent my old one down after for the core exchange thingy!!
Stayed with stock though.
Fast enought for an old man like me
Trev

I would deeply consider buying a remanufactured one from SOS, with shortgears and the nsx-r final drive... I would also probably install a lightweight flywheel while everything was in pieces. If you don't do it you *could* spend the next few years wishing you had done it... it's an unfortunate situation, but I would try to make the best of it while I knew I was already paying the labor charge.

My 1st NSX was stock gears.......
My 2nd NSX has the JDM trans with Short gears. what a difference.
It transforms the car..... making a great car.... into an exceptional car.......

SMYLDOC said:
My 92 was in the snap ring range and went out at approx 95K miles, a month after the track sessions at NSXPO 2002 here in Dallas.

I had the short gears installed in the rebuild and am very happy with them as a daily driver.

My car is having the 3.8 conversion done as I write this at SOS, should be done and back to me in about a month. I'll have to see how compatible it will be, but I'm optimistic!
I have the short gears in my 91 and I couldn't imagine not having them.
4248_.jpg

Look familar Doc?

nsxtasy said:
Personally, having driven both, I prefer the stock gears over the short gears. But I'm more concerned about performance on the track than beating people out at traffic lights...

I guess thats why Honda put the 4.23rp and kept the short gears on the NSX-R..

Back