• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recalcitrant Antenna

The antenna on my car has a new problem, sometimes it goes all the way down, sometimes it goes down all but an inch and sometimes it goes down all but 3 inches. I know that when it does not go all the way down it makes a rough clicking noise after the antenna stops going down. When it does go all the way down it sounds normal. I tried rubbing some grease on the mast. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the antenna?

------------------
Mike
'91 NSX

[This message has been edited by burnmacs (edited 03 October 2002).]

I disconnected mine and hooked up a small rubber whip and hid it behind the rug panel, I get good reception and I dont have to start at that 3 foot stick comming out of my car in the rear view mirror. Beside I am usually listening to cds anyway.
good luck
Armando

Mike,

What grease did you use? I would try WD40 on a scott towel and run the mast up and down. If it is gunked up, you want to use some "thin" lubricant on it, not a "grease"

Give it a try.

HTH,
LarryB

I had the same problem shortly after I bought my car. I had it checked out and apparently, the teeth on the plastic tail of the antenna were worn away which caused the clicking and non-retraction. The plastic tail is what goes through the motor on the inside on the trunk behind the left side cloth panel. That motor drives the antenna up and down.

I ended up just getting another antenna and having it installed. Total $80. It's not a hard job to do yourself, in fact you could go purchase a new antenna for ~$50 and do the job yourself. No more recalcitrant antenna. =) Good luck.

Pull the top of the side panel back inside the trunk by the antenna, and disconnect the gray connector to the motor. You will still receive the local stations, play tapes and cd's without looking like a remote car!

also you probably will have more problems with this in cold weather. It also helps to shut the power to your stereo off before shutting off the car.

Back