• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recent Nsx Compliments anyone?

Re: INCOMPREHINSIBLE! ...this 0-60 debate

Thanks for your post, Matt. It was nice.

So basically your post was:
Hi my name is Matt.
I've driven lots of nice fast cars, including the Z06 and Cobra mentioned.
I know how to drive fast.
1/10ths don't really matter.

(not to oversimplify or anything)

slashmatt said:
I've found out through much experience, that when you buy a fast car, 1/10ths just don't count. You've just got to learn the car. They're all about as fast as each other. In the long run, it's a question of taste.

Here's what it boiled down to basically, and what I'm asking everyone in this thread:

nsxtasy says the NSX is faster in a straight line than an SVT Cobra.

I say it isn't.

Not to trivialize your almost first post, and its a good one. But at this point, I don't care if the NSX can get you Carmen Electra in bed, or if the Cobra will cook you breakfast the next morning, and vacuum your house for you. I don't care if global warming will melt the polar ice caps and we're all going to drown.

Right now in this little world, this thread, and these few posts. My whole universe is 1/4 mile times of stock NSX's, SVT Cobras, and AMG E55's.

So, build quality, handling prowess, hand builted-ness, mid-engine, exoticness, grocery gettingness, and practicality aside: The NSX in an all else equal 1/4 mile will lose to an SVT Cobra, which will in turn get CREAMED by an E55.

nsxtasy said:
3.0-liter 5-speed NSX Coupe: 13.8 (Car and Driver, 9/90)
3.2-liter 6-speed NSX-T: 13.3 (Motor Trend, 5/97)
3.2-liter 6-speed NSX Coupe: 12.9 (Car and Driver, 7/98)

Rubber Chicken said:
Well like I said earlier, its like splitting hairs, And just so you all know, I'm a huge NSX fan and I don't think there is a new car for the price that has more appeal, (accel, handling, build qual, appearance, prestiege...)

But the question was about straight line, and I personally think an SVT Cobra would take an NSX. Car and Driver's 2003 April edition tests an 03 Cobra and gets 12.9 seconds in the 1/4. According to your stat above (also by C&D), an NSX coupe got the same. An NSX-T is 150 lbs heavier. And as I said above, you can't buy a coupe off the showroom floor anymore, so an NSX-T it is.

Interpret that however you want.

And just for sh*ts and giggles, if you've made it this far into the post, you deserve a cookie:

http://69.57.157.70/03cobravsE55.wmv

This video of course is meant to be taken with a grain of salt since its not exactly under 100% controlled conditions. But for what it is... WOW.

PS: Enough of the "Go Ken" "Ken this, Ken that" you'll just confuse things, nsxtasy isn't the only guy in the world named Ken.

I agree

If you're looking at $90,000 brand new NSX's, the E55 comes into the equation. Yes, it will walk an NSX in a straight line.

Yes, a Cobra is faster in a straight line.

So will a Z06 Vette.

A Camaro SS is a pretty close race too, and nobody even mentioned that.

My suggestion is simply that we're comparing Apples to Oranges here.

I guess I just do not see where the conflict is.

The E55 is an extremely fast sedan.
The Mustang Cobra is fast in the 1/4 mile.
The NSX is not as fast in the 1/4 mile as the E55 and Mustang.

I do not think most folks who decide to purchase an NSX did so because it has the ability to dominate in the 1/4 mile. I think most folks bought the NSX because it is an extremely high quality, track ready sports car.

So, if you use the criterion I outlined above, that I feel most folks use when deciding on the NSX, you will see that a Mustang and E55 would probably not be considered.

Rubber Chicken, if you want to argue with nsxtasy about this or that car is cheaper and faster than the NSX, go ahead. I think you won the argument. There are other cars besides the Z06 that are cheaper and faster than the NSX. However, the E55 is not even a sports car. You may think that makes it even more pathetic that the NSX is slower, but I do not. That E55 is as faster than almost any sports car out there. That does not mean I would go out looking for one to purchase if I was in the market for a sports car. I would look at the Z06, Modena, 996, NSX, and Viper if I wanted a sports car.

With that said, I would still love to own an E55.

Re: I agree

I want to start by saying that if you go back and read this thread, (I know its long as heck) you'll find that I posted all of this:

Rubber Chicken said:
Well like I said earlier, its like splitting hairs, And just so you all know, I'm a huge NSX fan and I don't think there is a new car for the price that has more appeal, (accel, handling, build qual, appearance, prestiege...)

Rubber Chicken said:
No one's saying the Mustang is a better car than the NSX.
rolleyes.gif

Read every post in this thread and quote where anyone said that.

Straight line acceleration != Better Car

But you knew this, already.

Rubber Chicken said:
Its splitting hairs anyways, it'd come down to drivers in most cases. Point is we all love NSX's and I think we can agree on that.

Matt,
I wholeheardedly agree with you that we're comparing Apples and Oranges, in fact its more like grapes to pineapples. The NSX and E55 are about as far as you can with respect to design philosophy. But to be honest, that's not what's in question here. We're past all that, We've accepted the fact that the NSX can take all of these on the track, also that the NSX has greater heritage, and also is more exotic.

As you can see from the above posts, I'm as much an NSX fan as you. None of of would be here if we didn't have a strong positive opinion of the NSX. To make it absolutely clear since I'm continually hounded about this: I'm a huge NSX fan and I don't think there is a new car for the price that has more appeal, (accel, handling, build qual, appearance, prestiege...)

slashmatt said:
If you're looking at $90,000 brand new NSX's, the E55 comes into the equation. Yes, it will walk an NSX in a straight line.

Yes, a Cobra is faster in a straight line.

So will a Z06 Vette.

A Camaro SS is a pretty close race too, and nobody even mentioned that.

My suggestion is simply that we're comparing Apples to Oranges here.

But the simple fact remains that I made a claim "The SVT Cobra is faster in a straight line than the NSX" (nothing to do with handling, exoticness, or build quality) And everyone and their brother thinks me an idiot.

nsxtacy challenged my opinion in this post:

nsxtasy said:
That's why we have a problem here - some people are going around making statements that the NSX is slow because it's slower than such-and-such car, which is NOT TRUE, but people are believing these false statements. Even though they are presented without any references to back them up.

Wrong again, Rubber Chicken. I guess you want to hang your hat with the "Get It Wrong Gang".

Isn't it funny how people make wild-@$$ claims like this, but the tests by the major magazines continually prove them wrong?

I can take being called part of a "get it wrong gang", that my "wild-a$$" claims aren't backed up... That's all fine, because I can refute them. And I did.

But to tell the strict truth, I would have let the issue drop dead in its tracks if it had not been for the NSX male cheerleaders behind "Ken" aka nsxtacy. (no offense to nsxtacy by any means)

After I had been supposedly 'proved wrong' by their god of statistics nsxtacy, I had to sift through this before I could reply again:

NeoNSX said:
lol... ken's da man alright!

WHO'S THE DADDY OF NSX-INFO??? Ken is!
biggrin.gif

he's a walking dictionary of NSX knowledge... for example, if we ask him what the 3rd gear ratio figures for a stock '93 NSX is... he'll probably know.
smile.gif

huckster said:
KEN'S THE MAN!! KEN'S DDAAA MAN!!!

Go Ken, Go Ken, Go Ken.

SLAP em DOWN!!

kgb_agent said:
Brian, haven't you figured out not to F--k with Ken on stats? Yes, he's a little argumentative by nature, but he's usually right.

We were having a civilized conversation up until that point. And this is the reason why I've persisted with this argument.

Now for your reply edwardo:

Edwardo said:
I guess I just do not see where the conflict is.

The E55 is an extremely fast sedan.
The Mustang Cobra is fast in the 1/4 mile.
The NSX is not as fast in the 1/4 mile as the E55 and Mustang.

I do not think most folks who decide to purchase an NSX did so because it has the ability to dominate in the 1/4 mile. I think most folks bought the NSX because it is an extremely high quality, track ready sports car.

So, if you use the criterion I outlined above, that I feel most folks use when deciding on the NSX, you will see that a Mustang and E55 would probably not be considered.

I totally agree, if you'll see above I've stated my opinion on this several times now, but one more time for posterity's sake.

I'm a huge NSX fan and I don't think there is a new car for the price that has more appeal, (accel, handling, build qual, appearance, prestiege...)

I hope you can see the conflict now, and why I'm defending myself the way I am.

Rubber Chicken, if you want to argue with nsxtasy about this or that car is cheaper and faster than the NSX, go ahead. I think you won the argument.

Thank you, I don't think anyone has acknowledged that at this point. Nsxtacy himself hasn't replied back to me (concerning the Cobra vs NSX) since my post that quoted a magazine time of the SVT Cobra faster than the NSX-T. (Not to say that he's been avoiding the thread)

If people truely believe that I'm right in this case, then my work is done.

I was simply defending myself in this case and it got blown completely out of proportion when it didn't need to be. I guess if everyone's fine then back to talking about 'Recent NSX Compliments'

Have a great day everyone.

(excuse any grammatical errors)

rubber chicken,

not everyone and their dog,cat,budgie are behind anyone. I dont sway into these types of arguments 'cos if you step and look at 'em they are pretty silly. Dont raise your blood pressure over anything. have a laugh and check out my

"what type of warrior are you?" thread in the off topic. (mainly 'cos no one read it :() I think you may recognise some personality types here on the board described better. :)

I also dont fall into the trap of believing one particular person as the absolute, everyone is fallible, 'cos it's based on personal belief system and preference. Even hard facts are sometimes misquoted, reported, left out and ahem paid off.

Otherwise we'd all believe our governments completely!

im here for a laugh and some info, and when i finally get around to it reporting back on the nsx scene here in Japan ;)

Ps i like the Nsx because i can mod it, it fits into the import scene (i know, technically not an import here) and its a beautiful car made by honda. No other car gives that weird feeling when it drives by for me.

Back