• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommend Hub dyno pull for NSX PPI?

Need your input...

A buyer interested in my NSX would like to include a chasis dyno pull (hub drive dyno) as part of the PPI. First I've heard of it. What do you guys think?

Said PPI would take place at a ferrari shop.

I've never done it, but it sounds like a really good idea if he's paying for it. You obviously have an interested and serious buyer. If the car checks out and dynos well I would consider the sale a done deal and near asking to boot. Make sure you're both clear on what to expect beforehand, so he's not disappointed or says "it's only 240 WHP, so I'll give you $3k less than asking."

Need your input...

A buyer interested in my NSX would like to include a chasis dyno pull (hub drive dyno) as part of the PPI. First I've heard of it. What do you guys think?

Said PPI would take place at a ferrari shop.

Obviously fine as long as he pays for it. However, I'd ask what his reasoning behind that is.

I've never done it, but it sounds like a really good idea if he's paying for it. You obviously have an interested and serious buyer. If the car checks out and dynos well I would consider the sale a done deal and near asking to boot. Make sure you're both clear on what to expect beforehand, so he's not disappointed or says "it's only 240 WHP, so I'll give you $3k less than asking."
Agree 100%...
The dyno is a good way to dynamically check the engine/transmission through the full spectrum of operation in a controlled environment (I'd agree to knock it off ~7500 rpm).

But I would NOT dicker with the buyer if the hp #s don't meet expectations!

The company doing my tuning is HP works in VA. http://www.hpworks.com
They do not have a hub dyno but from what everyone says they are about as close as you can come to real numbers. I would like to see a stock NSX on there dyno this would help me understand my gains

The company doing my tuning is HP works in VA. http://www.hpworks.com
They do not have a hub dyno but from what everyone says they are about as close as you can come to real numbers. I would like to see a stock NSX on there dyno this would help me understand my gains
I believe you should baseline the SAME car on the SAME dyno at as close to the same ambient conditions as possible.

Come on guys. Modern dynos are reliable in day to day use. They take into account the conditions (SAE correction) so it won't matter what temp, humidity, pressure, etc, it was. Have more faith in this industry. My car dynos reliably time after time on a rear-wheel dyno.

Come on guys. Modern dynos are reliable in day to day use. They take into account the conditions (SAE correction) so it won't matter what temp, humidity, pressure, etc, it was. Have more faith in this industry. My car dynos reliably time after time on a rear-wheel dyno.
Same car, same dyno, different days (corrected) should be no big deal.
It's not a dyno issue, it’s an operator/variables issue. Between calibration (what standardizing agency oversees/tests the dyno), maintenance, quality of brand/style, wheel or hub, dual roller or solid drum, etc...there can be an amazing disparity between different dynos (do a search on this forum alone).

Its like the weight scale at home, at the gym, on the shipping dock at work...they all say I weight different (so I always take the lightest one)...but they consistently agree, relatively, if I gain a pound on one, they all seem to say I gained a pound.

I can imagine unscrupulous dyno shops programming their dyno's so that they read high...and customers would continue to do more business with them BECAUSE they get higher readings (as opposed to accurate-AGAIN to what standard) readings.

Back